Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parrot sexing

Options
  • 28-11-2009 9:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25

Hi would anyone recommend DNA soloutions for the feather testing of african greys,the vets want €40 each bird and i have 2 to get sexed,could anyone tell me where is a good cheap place.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't think you can get it cheaper than that methinks, that's not too bad value, perhaps have one done and then wait a wee while before having the other parrot done.

In the mean time watching the birds behaviour will give hints as to what sex they could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I paid €300 to health check - microchip & sex my African grey & the same for my macaw. The price included full blood tests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Aviaries

thanks i might just splash out and get the full health check for both birds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 timber19

thats a rip off, you can get then sexed at the attached site, just pull a few feathers from the chest of the grey, what you do is wrap tthe grey in a towel and pull a few feathers after you pull them rub his chest, it wont hurt him.

http://www.avianbiotech.co.uk/

another way of checking the sex of the grey is, the female is a lighter grey on the back than the male, but this is not 100%. the feather test is

Advertisement