Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wikipedia: Do you edit?

Options
  • 28-11-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Just wonder if people edit Wikipedia?

Newsnight had an item on about people leaving the site.

Do you Wiki? 13 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 13 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Wikipedia countered that claim themselves though (Ref: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8382477.stm). I have to admit though that I edited my first two Wikipedia articles the other day because I knew that they were wrong. I normally wouldn't bother, but since I've started a PhD I've developed a critical outlook on things of this nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

Kevster wrote: »
    Wikipedia countered that claim themselves though (Ref: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8382477.stm). I have to admit though that I edited my first two Wikipedia articles the other day because I knew that they were wrong. I normally wouldn't bother, but since I've started a PhD I've developed a critical outlook on things of this nature.

That's the problem with wikipedia - it's unreliable and often incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Occasionally in the past, but not a for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

auerillo wrote: »
    That's the problem with wikipedia - it's unreliable and often incorrect.

But surely you should to insure that what you know about it correct and referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The citation section of wikipedia articles is the most useful part of the site. The main body of the site is unreliable.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    But surely you should to insure that what you know about it correct and referenced.

Surely?

My point is that, as a reference resource its unreliable and , thus, pretty useless. My changing bits of it wouldn't change that.

Surely?

My point is that, as a reference resource its unreliable and , thus, pretty useless. My changing bits of it wouldn't change that.

But surely if every one did edit and correct the reference it would make it better. Some of the articles are sketchy and you can rate the articles in terms of facts and research etc.

surely: this is a informal message boards (AFAIK)

You would be good at correcting the problems on Wiki. (Sorry Wikipedia).

Elmo wrote: »
    But surely if every one did edit and correct the reference it would make it better. Some of the articles are sketchy and you can rate the articles in terms of facts and research etc.

surely: this is a informal message boards (AFAIK)

You would be good at correcting the problems on Wiki. (Sorry Wikipedia).

I live in the real world! Everyone doesn't edit. How do you propose to make sure they do? And , even if they do, how can we be sure its accurate?

Wiki is an unreliable reference source.

I live in the real world! Everyone doesn't edit. How do you propose to make sure they do? And , even if they do, how can we be sure its accurate?

Wiki is an unreliable reference source.

referendum :) haha I find wiki a good starting point if you want so quick information after that it is about looking at other sources. But then I don't trust everything on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

The citation section of wikipedia articles is the most useful part of the site. The main body of the site is unreliable.

theyre the same thing

show me something thats wrong, wikipedia isn't just the top of the page it the whole page including the sources, wikipedia is not a source.

i find too hard to edit, too hard to change something you need to discuss with others to change

• Advertisement
Advertisement