Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be a good gaming rig?

Options
  • 28-11-2009 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

What could run well on this?

Processor {Speed}: Q8400 Core 2 Quad 3.00Ghz
    Memory {Performance}: 4GB Installed DDR 2 1066Mhz
    Hard Disk {Storage}: 250 Gigabyte Hard Disk Drive
    Optical Drive: Optical DVD 16X Rewriter
    Video Card {Graphics}: ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB
    Sound Card {Audio}: 6 Chanel High Definition Audio
    Monitor {Display}: 19'' TFT Wide Screen Monitor
    Keyboard & Mouse: PS/2 Keyboard & Optical Mouse
    Operating System O/S: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Networking {Broadband}: 10/100 Port Installed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A better GFX card and windows 7 and its 100%.
    I recommend the 4850

To answer your question, the most demanding game graphics wise as far as I know at the moment is still crysis.

You would get atleast 45fps on ultra high on 1280x1024.

That is very good for crysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Win7 = better performance does it? What about the 64bit version?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 and am loving it. Have had a few problems with older games, but nothing that a few tweaks/patches cant fix. Definitely recommend it if your upgrading your computer.

I'm using winxp 32 atm but if I install win7 64 on another partition. Will I able able to use most of my programs without having to reinstall or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I'm using winxp 32 atm but if I install win7 64 on another partition. Will I able able to use most of my programs without having to reinstall or what?

Games yes, programs no. Most games don't write to the registry, but alot, if not most programs do. I have a seperate partion for my games so they're not in the c drive, so when I re-install all my games still work, but programs need to be re-installed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

That is not a good gaming rig by any stretch

Firstly - have a look at this
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/EAH5970/31.html

The 4650 is even slower than the 4670.

How much are you paying for that PC?

If you want a gaming rig please ask in the building and upgrading section and give them your budget and screen resolution, otherwise, honestly, you will end up buying a lemon.

I recommend the 4850

To answer your question, the most demanding game graphics wise as far as I know at the moment is still crysis.

You would get atleast 45fps on ultra high on 1280x1024.

That is very good for crysis.

Well with the PC he just listed he'll get closer to 8 fps in Crysis with those settings.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_4650_iSilence/9.html

Indeed the 4850 or 4770 would be a better budget gaming card - they are about 3 times faster than a 4650

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Youd be better off with a 1gb graphics card, maybe the Radeon HD4890. Im playing the one year old GTAIV on a 512mb card and it uses up most of the video ram on medium/high settings.

Ive just got Windows 7 64bit and that is the way to go. A refined, less bloated version of Vista.

If you can afford a 10,000 rpm hdd like mine, id a advise that too. The hard drive is the bottleneck on most systems so if you cant go with a solid state drive, a faster mechanical drive is worth the extra money.

Gaming on a 19" monitor? Well Id say you'd want 22" at least. More immersive. 22" widescreen LCD arent that dear nowadays.

Agricola wrote: »
    Youd be better off with a 1gb graphics card, maybe the Radeon HD4890. Im playing the one year old GTAIV on a 512mb card and it uses up most of the video ram on medium/high settings.

Ive just got Windows 7 64bit and that is the way to go. A refined, less bloated version of Vista.

If you can afford a 10,000 rpm hdd like mine, id a advise that too. The hard drive is the bottleneck on most systems so if you cant go with a solid state drive, a faster mechanical drive is worth the extra money.

Gaming on a 19" monitor? Well Id say you'd want 22" at least. More immersive. 22" widescreen LCD arent that dear nowadays.

Theres a new harddrive out - the samsung F3 - its a 7200rpm drive, but its extremely fast, and honestly its all you need, cheap too only 70 euros for the 1 tb version. If you want to be mental go with an SSD, but they are still very expensive.

GTA4 is more processor based than graphics, its strange, its one of the few games that is. Card name is what is most important, not the memory, unfortunately lots of people get tricked by ****ty 1 gb cards.

Yup 22 inch monitors are good. Cheap now too.

Most people are still running XP and quite happy with it, great for older machines to get better performance - that said yah, MS learnt lesson from vista and win 7 is v good.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Games yes, programs no. Most games don't write to the registry, but alot, if not most programs do. I have a seperate partion for my games so they're not in the c drive, so when I re-install all my games still work, but programs need to be re-installed.

My HD is set up like this:

Partition just for win xp. (15gb) Partition that I was gonna use for vista (30gb) and another just for where I install my programs and games.

So say I wanna use a particular program I have installed when in xp but its installed on another partition. So I go to use it in win7 and it wont let me, if I reinstalled the program, right into the very same place it already is. Could I then use said program in 7 but go back to XP and use it too as if I had never altered the install at all?

(sorry for all the questions)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Completely depends on the program, some write to registry, others like games don't. The ones that don't write to registry will work fine, just send the shortcut to the .exe to the desktop

Advertisement