Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car crash on Moycullen road....

Options
  • 28-11-2009 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

About half an hour ago crash occured just the Moycullen side of Glenlo Abbey, traffic blocked both ways. If using the road, don't bother for about 2 hours as you're going nowhere!

(Use diversion up Tonybrucky)

All 3 involved in the crash are OK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Good that everyone okay. Jaysus road traffic accidents becoming all too familiar in Galway at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

I know its crazy, what is going on. What happened this time? At least they are okay though. It really would put you off driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

susanroth wrote: »
    I know its crazy, what is going on. What happened this time? At least they are okay though. It really would put you off driving.

Examined the cars quickly and where on the road they ended up, have my own theory... but it's just that, a theory. Best off to keep me mouth shut :o

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Examined the cars quickly and where on the road they ended up, have my own theory... but it's just that, a theory. Best off to keep me mouth shut :o

And where on the road did they end up? were the cars destroyed or not that bad. Was it on a bend? I am always half-s****** it going around bends for fear someone is on the wrong side of the road!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The Moycullen road seems to have become a blackspot. Thank God everyone was ok after it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭louisa200

Thank god, already two people I know have lost their lives on this road x drive safe

• Registered Users Posts: 36 strombone

I was overtaken by an 08 silver Merc on the Roscahill to Moycullen Road tonight who seemed to me to be driving much too fast for the prevailing conditions. I came upon the accident site but didn't see the cars involved. I wonder was the Merc one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

strombone wrote: »
    I was overtaken by an 08 silver Merc on the Roscahill to Moycullen Road tonight who seemed to me to be driving much too fast for the prevailing conditions. I came upon the accident site but didn't see the cars involved. I wonder was the Merc one of them.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

happened just at kileen house,such a bad bend its claimed many lives over the years:(.

hope theyre ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ive said it before and I'll say it again....ive driven around a good few county's in ireland and nothing compares to the terrible driving I see around galway.

Im getting fed up with it. Just cus some c*nt has a fast car/range rover or a lead foot (even in a micra), it doesnt mean the dangerous road conditions dont apply to you dickhead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 johnny1234

LowOdour wrote: »
    Ive said it before and I'll say it again....ive driven around a good few county's in ireland and nothing compares to the terrible driving I see around galway.

Agree 100%. Drivers in Galway think they are above Gravity and the theory of Physics. This road in particular is particuairily dangerous. But Galway CC know its dangers at this particular spot and simply do nothing. Better still we have a Government Minister responsible for Rural affairs and what has he done -- given the money to the islands or the Gaeltacht. Done sweet FA for his own area, but he will roar and shout that he has. What a tosser !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

johnny1234 wrote: »
    Agree 100%. Drivers in Galway think they are above Gravity and the theory of Physics. This road in particular is particuairily dangerous. But Galway CC know its dangers at this particular spot and simply do nothing. Better still we have a Government Minister responsible for Rural affairs and what has he done -- given the money to the islands or the Gaeltacht. Done sweet FA for his own area, but he will roar and shout that he has. What a tosser !!

You are right to a degree...but a huge amount of traffic on that road will travel it every day so they know what it is like. I only spoke to a woman yesterday who said that some people were driving through the floods at killen house like there was no floods there at all, causing danger to the oncoming traffic.

There are things the government can do, but they cannot change a persons own responsibility.

Sorry of we are going slightly off topic!

LowOdour wrote: »
    You are right to a degree...but a huge amount of traffic on that road will travel it every day so they know what it is like. I only spoke to a woman yesterday who said that some people were driving through the floods at killen house like there was no floods there at all, causing danger to the oncoming traffic.

There are things the government can do, but they cannot change a persons own responsibility.

Sorry of we are going slightly off topic!

I have to say i agree, some drivers just blatantly ignore warning signs, speed signs etc! It really would infuriate you, i'll often be driving the speed limit or near enough and someone will come up behind me not slowing down for a second and overtake:mad:, where are these ppl going so urgently, its pathetic. Sad thing is you'll often catch up to them later at a traffic light or something....

But really is it not the guards problem really, if drivers knew there was a likely chance they'd be caught I don't know if they'd be tearing up the roads as much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Back on topic...
    I hope all involved is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

5 people i know have passed away on Moycullen roads in as many years.

Thia needs to be sorted. How i don't know. But there are greater minds paid to figure that out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Driver behaviour & Enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Education, Engineering and Enforcement rather.

The section between the new road and the village (Killagoola/Ugool) is a hazard, the road's in very poor condition, narrow, winding, alot of blind driveway entrances and that bridge has no warning signs either side of it.

More signage around Killeen house would help too.
    A 80 or 60Kmph sign after the hard-shoulder ends on the city-bound direction would help, would be a good spot for the Gardaí to camp out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

I was returning that day from Connemara via Moycullen. I returned around 5 pm. The roads were bad and narrow and there was very dense fog on that day. Would have been suitable for a scary movie or the foggy mire in Sherlock Holmes' "Hound of Baskerville".

Everyone was driving with their high-beam on. Startled me quite a few times and I drove as carefully as possible. No light on the N59 before Moycullen whatsoever.

I was not aware of the incident. No wonder. I hope authorities have not turned blind to these incidents and hope that they put some lights on that road. Otherwise another accident is just a matter of time.

Advertisement