Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doagh Island Lapland

Options
  • 28-11-2009 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

anyone ever been to this place whats it like do they have real snow at it , thinking on taking the little nephew to it if its any good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

64 views and no replys someone must know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Was there about 9 or 10 years ago back when I was a kid, really couldnt tell you if it has real snow but I enjoyed it. Cant remember all that much but its an enjoyable day out and well worth a visit

Not much info but seing as nobody else replied I thought Id throw in my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No idea at all about the place but one thing's for sure it wont be real snow unless its snowing ;)

Theres somewhere being advertised on Highland Radio at the moment. Cant recall if its the same spot or not.

muffler wrote: »
    No idea at all about the place but one thing's for sure it wont be real snow unless its snowing ;)

Theres somewhere being advertised on Highland Radio at the moment. Cant recall if its the same spot or not.

i thought they might have one of those big snow machines that makes real snow , i think its the same place alright heard it on highland a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

muffler wrote: »

I think the place been advertised is Santa's Magic Wonderland in Gweedore. Don't know anything about it other than whats in the link below.
    http://www.santasmagicwonderland.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

This is the same location as the Famine Village.

See: http://www.doaghfaminevillage.com/santas-island/ for more info.

I went there last August and would recommend it. Good displays depicting the famine era and commentary on the traditions in the area.

I don't know anything about the Christmas experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭md23040

3959571472_47ac3ec198.jpg

Took the kids here about three years ago with an expectation of a good night’s festive fun with sprinkle of Christmas magic. Unfortunately it was utterly amateur and really really bad –sorry really really really bad.

There were five or six staff continually changing costumes acting out badly, the part of elves and other Christmas characters etc. Only thing remember about the place are, it was freezing, cheap presents for each of the kids from a badly acted Santa (99c type from a discount store), an elf shop with loads and loads of empty fun sized cereal boxes, a reindeer looking miserable, an elf disco with no one in it playing overly loud boy racer music, and continually thinking to myself throughout the 30 to 40 minute experience there’s more to it than this, it’ll get better, which it didn’t. Our whole party are easily impressed but even the five and six year olds thought it very poor indeed, and more or less had a laugh at it.

We heard so many people who said they had loved it and went on recommendation from friends etc - whom we now worry for their sanity.

There is no Christmas magic in this place. Just an overpriced rubbish experience that could have been nicely done with some imagination and a bit of expenditure rather than trying to make as much as possible on the cheap.

Maybe we hit it on a bad day and the carol singers, the brass band with Christmas tunes, someone roasting chesnuts, and the person operating a snow machine might have all been off sick (btw no snow machine when we visited).

Edit add/on. Searched goggle images of the Christmas Experience but could only get photos of the Famine Village. Hopefully this will give you some indication. These run down peasant houses and a couple cattle sheds were transformed with a bunting of assorted coloured lights etc and equally bad props...

05eire021.JPG

Sorry for being a humbug - wish it could have been different.

thanks for the review md23040 don't be Sorry for being a humbug you just saved me making over a 2 hour round trip to be disapointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

I heard them same, although Ive never been. What about the Santa train in Fintown? Anyone been on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Deerhunter, the garden centre in Fahan, has a santas grotto, I havent been but it looks pretty good from a distance;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I took my 2year old last year and I dont think I would ever go back. It is very amateur and the older the child is the more they would realise how not real it is. They do a santa show with santa coming down the chimney, they will then call out some random names in the audience and would give out to some of the mammys and daddys for not cleaning the chimney. This bit is actually ok, but when you go out into the village it isnt that great, you finally get to meet santa and have a photo but its a different santa from the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

here, youse wans, the Boss-mod said not to post pics from the Lawrence Collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Tripzy

We brought our youngest daughter there last year with 4 of her friends, all aged about 8ish. We had to book it in October and supply names, addresses and ages of each of the girls. We booked for a Friday night, show was about 6.30pm. All were well wrapped up really well with coats, scarves, gloves & hats and were very glad of them as it was freezing cold in the barn and outside. (I know its on the coast). The elves narrate the Christmas story complete with live Donkey and Santa makes his entrance down a chimney which the kids enjoyed. The children are called up individually to get a small present (note book & crayons to all of our group!!!). Then you can wander outside to see the Toy Factory, Elves Disco and Lapland Post Office. The children can sign up for Elf Jobs and post their letters at the Post Office. The evening we were there was too cold to wander around much so we saw all and headed off. Didnt think it was value for money (from a parents point of view) & none of the girls were too anxious to go back this year. So all in all, glad we went but wont be back....

However, also did the Santa Train in Fintown the previous year. We took a bus load (25) of 7 yr olds, girls & boys. The train was revving up as we pulled in to the station which they renamed as Funtown!!! All aboard and Santa got on last, chatted to the children on the way down through them to his grotto at the back (or was it the front!). He was very patient with then, chatted and had loads of time for photos, etc.. The children while they waited their turn got to sing on the Trains "Intercom/Tannoy" which was a big hit with them all... The presents were much more substantial and worthy of the Big Man in the Red Suit (Jigsaws,Tractor sets,dolls,Bead/jewellery sets, etc..). We had a party planned for them after in the big shed which was very good too. They all wanted to go back again so they must have enjoyed it.

Sorry to have gone on but having experience of both thought it might be of help for you & your nephew.

Advertisement