Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Gen iPhone in the wild

Options
  • 28-11-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

According to www.MacRumors.com the next Gen iPhone is turning up in the wild on server logs......

This "iPhone3,1" identifier does not match up with any shipping iPhones. The last iPhone released to the public was the iPhone 3GS which carries the identification string "iPhone2,1".

References to "iPhone3,1" was first discovered in the iPhone firmware files back in August, but this seems to be the first time that it has been spotted "in the wild". Apple similarly began testing the iPhone 3GS (iPhone2,1) back in October of 2008 about 8 months ahead of its launch. At the time, the usage was similarly focused in the San Francisco Bay Area where Apple is located.

There have been few details about what the next generation iPhone might include, though early rumors had pegged a multi-core processor that could enhance performance significantly. There have also been rumors of Verizon compatibility as early as mid 2010.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Wonder will LTE make it this year, might just be 1 year too early for it but the networks are beginning to roll out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How great a leap forward technology-wise do people expect the new iPhone to be?

I'm planning on getting a 3GS after xmas with O2 on what will probably end up being an 18 month contract - will I be kicking myself when the new model comes out or will I have the option of upgrading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

keane2097 wrote: »

I'm planning on getting a 3GS after xmas with O2 on what will probably end up being an 18 month contract - will I be kicking myself when the new model comes out or will I have the option of upgrading?
    On the one hand, I would be surprised if you would be allowed to upgrade after 6 months in your contract. On the other, if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you will never buy anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Now this is an (unsurprising) interesting development.

I wonder where it will leave O2 Ireland? Will they still have exclusivity on the latest model, with the likes of Vodafone still on the 3GS version? Or will they all get the new model.

My money is on the former.

As for the new phone, I wonder if multi-tasking will finally be available in the OS? Nokia are touting this as a Big Thing with the N900, so the pressure is on Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

I was going to get one for xmas not sure what i will do now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

sisco wrote: »
    I was going to get one for xmas not sure what i will do now

Realistically this wont be announced until June 2010 and by the time its shipping with enough numbers for the Irish market it could be August if you are lucky.

The practice with O2 this year is that they allowed existing customers on 18mth contracts upgrade after 12mths. There is no guarantee that they will do this again as it was completely their decision.

They are subsidising the handset by several hundred euros so they cannot allow upgrades until they recoup their investment and 12mths after signing an 18mth contract is fair if allowed.

I would hope that the next Gen iPhone will be a significant upgrade to both hardware and OS. Competitors are catching up quickly and Apple will need something to retain this as a must have item.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Now this is an (unsurprising) interesting development.

I wonder where it will leave O2 Ireland? Will they still have exclusivity on the latest model, with the likes of Vodafone still on the 3GS version? Or will they all get the new model.

My money is on the former.

As for the new phone, I wonder if multi-tasking will finally be available in the OS? Nokia are touting this as a Big Thing with the N900, so the pressure is on Apple.

By the time this comes out exclusivity will be done, o2 aren't going to have a monopoly on any new phones. There's a chance that this could well be the tablet, although as macrumors stated having a new model phone in the wild this early seems to be routine.

Can't see apple bowing to pressure regarding multitasking, although Android phones such as the Droid will make it harder for them to ignore. Nokia are pushing the n900 on Maemo and customization rather than multitasking - something that they've always had with s60. The n900 is more a proof of concept/large scale beta anyway rather than a serious iPhone competitor, or as Nokia have called it "stage four in a five stage process".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

My heart say that after the 3GS this would be a radical update, especially given that the purchase of PA Semi should be baring fruits at this stage. I also think that the phone is starting to look a bit dated and that the screen in particular definitely has to go. But Apple have surprised me on countless occasions before, refusing to update hardware long after better tech was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The practice with O2 this year is that they allowed existing customers on 18mth contracts upgrade after 12mths. There is no guarantee that they will do this again as it was completely their decision.

They are subsidising the handset by several hundred euros so they cannot allow upgrades until they recoup their investment and 12mths after signing an 18mth contract is fair if allowed.

I would hope that the next Gen iPhone will be a significant upgrade to both hardware and OS. Competitors are catching up quickly and Apple will need something to retain this as a must have item.

Yeah the potential to upgrade a few months after the new model comes out, along with Aidan's logic that you have to buy some time I think mean I'll end up just plumping for it now.

Sure if it means I have to spend 6 or 12 months with only the second best phone on the market how bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

interestingly I got a call from voda today as I had switched to o2 a while back for the iPhone.

caller was telling me that voda will be doing the iphone in feb and asking if i would switch back when my contract was up.

when I mentioned that i'd prob wait til after june next year to see if there was a new phone out they said there is a new one coming out in Feb 09 & that's why voda will be carrying it.

usually it's june when apple announce new hardware?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

interestingly I got a call from voda today as I had switched to o2 a while back for the iPhone.

caller was telling me that voda will be doing the iphone in feb and asking if i would switch back when my contract was up.

when I mentioned that i'd prob wait til after june next year to see if there was a new phone out they said there is a new one coming out in Feb 09 & that's why voda will be carrying it.

usually it's june when apple announce new hardware?

I highly doubt a low level voda worker has any info on a new iPhone. I have been talking to the business manager guys and all they know about is the 3GS and they anrt sure what date its launching (January seems to be the most likely though). They have limited supplys of 3GS's there doing for select customers now though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

They'd tell you anything to get you back. Lying included.

I assume the next gen will be more like the iPod Touch - lighter and thinner. I'd be happy with that as long as they have the bloody FM radio activated on it. Oh, and maybe a flash for the crappy low-light camera.

Advertisement