Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things your parents do that p*ss you off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I get on better with my Dad most of the time but he is a pompus, snobby, old fashioned, double-standard-setting know-it-all who thinks he is better than everyone.

My mother on the other hand is an insulting, neat-freak, self-pitious martyr who lacks basic common sense, listening skills and the ability to stand up for herself.

The things they do that annoy me are when the bicker, which is constantly. The don't fight, they bicker and it upsets me so much. I'd rather see them divorced and hating eachother rather that the constant bickering and snide remarks. I don't understand why the can't just sit down and listen to each other.

My Dad get angry when people express even the tiniest bit of ignorance, which is even more iiritating when you consider my Mum's aforemetioned lack of common sense. He also mutters to himself when he's agree and goes off on complete tangents when you ask him a simple question.

Niether of them have an ounce of trust in me or my judgement and fail to see that they actually got lucky with me and my brother (niether of us ever "acted out" or argued with them. No joke) and still expect me to end up as a pregnant junkie.

How ever much I love them, I don't like them much. I will stop ranting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Smoking in the house, turns my stomach.
    Mam freaked out at my exam results last week. There were mostakes in my transcript which made it look like I only did exams for something to do, not to pass the year. Dad was totally on my side though, what a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

I suppose we're all lucky when we only have small things to complain about but....

General sticking of noses into business

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Try their best to wake you up early in the summer.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Try their best to wake you up early in the summer.

I hate that. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Exist. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

noisy ridin

being a parent is hard and truely the only time you will realise it is when you yourselves become parents

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

[quote=[Deleted User];66712901]being a parent is hard and truely the only time you will realise it is when you yourselves become parents[/QUOTE]

Yes, but until then we can complain about them as much as we like! :D
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

[quote=[Deleted User];66712901]being a parent is hard and truely the only time you will realise it is when you yourselves become parents[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why I plan on never becoming one! :pac: Kids are way more trouble than they're worth.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dont mind parents.Get on grand with them

Hate all children though

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

My parents expect me to commute to college in Dublin. That would entail a 20 minute drive to the station at 6am (competing with commuters for car parking spaces/space on train), the train ride in, making my way to RCSI, somehow staying awake for lectures and finding time to make new friends. Oh, but I can't go out or join any socs. Because I need to get home to study, and the last train is at like 10. Then do it all again, 5 days a week and let's not forget carrying the laptop, books and general crap in. Plus what do to at weekends when all my old school friends are gone to college?

God I hate their perception of reality. It's not a job; it's college.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

my mam and I have a love/hate relationship....little things she does piss me off

for instance the constant tidying, telling me to do things when I'm in the process of doing them(telling me to "clean up that mess" as I'm walking into the utility room to get a mop),nag nag nagging drives me nuts and generally just getting on my tits.

get on well with my dad though.

<<--freud would have a field day

Oh aye and they don't wait for you to do it, its just nag nag until you finish.:mad:

Heres mine:

My dad does my head in.. heres a list of SOME of the things he does. (every friggen week he starts new tight things).

-Turns off the shower when you've only been in it for 5 minutes and you are covered in soap, he says its wasting money. (like he can't afford it in a friggen 8 bedroomed house.)
    -Doesn't let us eat more than two snacks in an hour because he will have to wash two dishes and he can't be bothered.
    -Never goes into the shop, makes my poor sister go in everysingle morning to get his paper.
    -Makes hang up the washing and then comes out and tells us its hung up wrong, what way do you bloody hang them up there is no bloody way!
    -Sometimes we volunteer to do stuff for him and then he says that its all wrong and shouts for like an hour after, after us volunteering.
    -Makes us get up at 10 in the summer and never lets us lie in.
    -Never gets us any sweets, he makes us pay for it ourself.
    -Puts a lock on everything so that we can't use it when we want to..
    -Acts like a baby.
    -Annoys us so much with his ways that he makes everyone cranky and then when my mum shouts at him he says that shes backing me up, when shes only trying to get peace for us.
    -Nags me everytime i see him.
    -Sends us outside for hours in the summer because he doesn't want to see us and locks us out, today it was thundering and lightening and me and my sister were out for about an hour in it and couldn't get in because he had locked the door, we were drenched beyond beleif, so when we went in he shouted at us for getting our clothes wet!
    -Never takes us out anywhere in summer because he can't be bothered and his excuse is "i never got that when i was a wane" (so my mother has to take the day off, of work out of her leave to take us out.)

The list can go on, next he'll be locking the fridge, so we can't get food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

live

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

wayhey wrote: »
    My parents expect me to commute to college in Dublin. That would entail a 20 minute drive to the station at 6am (competing with commuters for car parking spaces/space on train), the train ride in, making my way to RCSI, somehow staying awake for lectures and finding time to make new friends. Oh, but I can't go out or join any socs. Because I need to get home to study, and the last train is at like 10. Then do it all again, 5 days a week and let's not forget carrying the laptop, books and general crap in. Plus what do to at weekends when all my old school friends are gone to college?

God I hate their perception of reality. It's not a job; it's college.

Get a Job-- Pay for your own accommodation!!

Welcome to real life

Welcome to real life

Yea but you see parents think its easy and all that because they did it in the 60s when there was no traffic, but its not like that now you see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Welcome to real life

For a 17/18 year old to get a job, that would pay enough for accomodation, with no qualifications apart from the leaving cert is pretty impossible. People with degrees and years experience can't get employment!

This is no offence to you wayhey, but I'm assuming you've no degrees under your belt as of yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Welcome to real life

Yeah, and sure it's easy, there's jobs everywhere you look.
    I've never seen a better job market, I can't walk down the street without being offered a job.

inb4 Oh it was so much worse in the 80s therefore it's grand now. Because if it's not the worst possible situation it must be the best possible situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Welcome to real life

My point was perhaps the money is just not available to pay for rent in Dublin so their darling child can fully enjoy all that college has to offer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Pygmalion wrote: »
    inb4 Oh it was so much worse in the 80s therefore it's grand now. Because if it's not the worst possible situation it must be the best possible situation.
    Actually,it's worse than the 80's CSO numbers show this is the worst state Irish employment has been in since we became a republic [some say since the famine,but records aren't reliable that far back]

on topic;
    Assume that because you can walk on a foot that's still quite obviously bruised and sore,you can drive a tractor for an hour ["sure what else would you be doing?" Um, i dunno not F*cking up my leg,how's that for an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

esio trot wrote: »
    My dad has a habit of dragging his leg and pretending to be simple when we go anywhere in an effort to embarrass me, on one occasion he wore a deflated basketball on his head in a bowling alley while sitting on the steps with his eyes crossed. On another occasion we were in Italy at this resort and there was this girl I liked so every time she walked past the pool he would shout across "ah bikini bikini, my son he likes you" in his worst Italian accent. Cue me running to the toilets to hide in shame.

Your dad is a legend. My dad does similar stuff but I have to pretend it doesn't embarrass me or else he'd find it really hilarious and keep doing stuff like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Yeah, and sure it's easy, there's jobs everywhere you look.
    I've never seen a better job market, I can't walk down the street without being offered a job.

Practically everyone I know who's wanted a job has gotten one (Dublin btw). Where I work business hasn't exactly been booming but it hasn't been getting any worse either.

Also as regards employment figures, people who work part-time but still recieve social welfare are included in the figure. They make up about 20% of people on the Live register.

edit: and no unemployment has been higher in the past. Not sure about labour force participation rates, but since women are more likely to work these days I assume that it's higher now.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Welcome to real life

I held a job down for 3 years from 4th Year to February 6th Year. My parents never had to pay anything towards my Leaving Cert or education during that. Of course they paid for everything before- but I pay for what I can.

Probably should've mentioned I've no issues at all getting a job at the weekend locally and coming home to work to tide me through the week. No issue whatsoever..

But a full time student to pay for accommodation in Dublin, purely on a wage? :rolleyes: Yup, that's realistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

F*ck you out of it because you out of because you messed up something a few weeks ago.Then bring it up a few days ago and go nuts and repeat the same thing today.

I get it I messed up,nothing was broken,no one was hurt,it wasn't exactly important.just because you have a problem with someone else stop taking it all out on me, cúnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Freak out about tiny, insignificant little things and act like it's the end of the goddamn world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

Their over-protectiveness...that annoys me! I'm well able to look after myself! Just leave me alone!:P
    Their hypocrisy..for example with cursing. They'd have a shít attack if they heard me cursing(which I don't in front of them) but yet it's fine for them to do it all the time like.:mad:

Oh and them trying to be cool and "hip"...please, stop! Nobody uses the term "hip" in that context anywhere except if you live in the ghetto...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

My mom says 'mod'

If she got like...a new dress that makes her look less than 50 she's all 'I look very mod, don't I?!'

DIE WOMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

edit: and no unemployment has been higher in the past. Not sure about labour force participation rates, but since women are more likely to work these days I assume that it's higher now.

1985: 17.3% of the total labour force was unemployed.
    2010: 12%

Source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

My mom says 'mod'

If she got like...a new dress that makes her look less than 50 she's all 'I look very mod, don't I?!'

DIE WOMAN

Tell her to go get a vespa, a parka and a pair of skinny jeans and not to come back to the house until her vespa has at least 25 wing mirrors.......

Advertisement