Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get (colour) A1 image printed?

Options
  • 28-11-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I have a BMP image (NOT a picture, but a digital drawing) that I need printed out in colour (only 3 / 4 colours on the whole thing). I have very high res BMP of this drawing (as in over 1GB in size)

Can anyone recommend me where to get this printed? And any idea how much I should expect to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I know Cantec on Merchants Road do A1 prints, I think they're the only ones in town that do that size. Not sure if they can print the format you've got John but give em a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

+1 to cantec

Im pretty sure they told me any file format a few months ago.
    Regardless, there are ways of converting the image to jpeg, through photoshop or some free program found through google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Dont convert it to Jpeg :) The graininess that will be put in by the compression will be REALLY obvious at A1 size.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah I have it in BMP and PNG purposly... did a bit of research adn JPEG wouldn't be suitable for the type of image I have.

Thanks for the recommendation for Cantec.

There's also a place in Liosban ind estate called "Blueprint" - anyone had any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

+2 for Cantec. Did ya get your chart finished John?? ;)

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    +2 for Cantec. Did ya get your chart finished John?? ;)

We're getting there, but we're finding shallows that are NOT marked on the old Admiltary Chart, so we need to continue with our research.

Cheers for the Cantec recommendation, just remembered I kinda know the owner - email going his way shortly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    We're getting there, but we're finding shallows that are NOT marked on the old Admiltary Chart, so we need to continue with our research.

Cheers for the Cantec recommendation, just remembered I kinda know the owner - email going his way shortly :p

Yeah, the old Admiralty chart was surveyed way before the Corrib was drained, so water levels are a bit lower now (except during exceptional floods!) , probably the reason for the extra shallows...

The Corrib was drained?

Do tell more...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yeah, the old Admiralty chart was surveyed way before the Corrib was drained, so water levels are a bit lower now (except during exceptional floods!) , probably the reason for the extra shallows...

No, we're actually finding shallows that were not found during the old survey. One example is we found a 50ft wide shallow that's 3ft deep... on the old chart it's marked as 16ft :eek:

A *lot* of depths on the old chart were guesstimated, especially arond the Cornamona area... it's shocking (finding lots of places deeper than charted, too!)

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The Corrib was drained?

Do tell more...

Not drained, but when the weir was added levels changed by a few ft in places.

However, bits of the RIVER Corrib were drained, with a big digger! The hill you see on Jordans Island (accross from new eng. building, just above bridge) is actually soil from the bed of the Corrib where it was deepened. Same as the little hill that you see on the west shore above Menlo Castle (If you walk up past Dangan on the Clifden Line you'll see it)

• Advertisement

Ah, I had heard of that - was it done at the same time as the new cut?

Will your chart be published John or is it just a piece of academic research? I think it would be very handy for finding new fishing spots given all this shallow water you're finding.

Advertisement