Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Saboteur

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Looks to be worth a rent, the accent is dreadful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I've been looking forward to this since E3... I thought the trailer looked savage.

Hopefully it lives up to my expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Well Pandemic the studio was closed down by EA. Their track record for games isn't the greatest, hopefully this is their swan song but right now I'm not getting my hopes up and have zero expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Looks cool but i think your mans name is Sean Devlin or something like that. What a stupid name and as for the accent, awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It has a good look (the reds and oranges really pop out), but that accent is really bloody awful. The french one isn't much better.
    Out on Friday, could be worth a rent. Will read reviews with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

The accent is fairly bad but thats what americans think we sound like.
    I'd say I might get it depending on reviews. I think it has a sort of a grand theft auto feel about it aswell. Im not surprised the studio closed down with, over 200 staff and it wasn't really doing the business. Still this might make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

that accent will annoy the bejayus out of me begorrah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Been playing this since the weekend and it's actually quite good. The accent is bad, but the dialogue is actually pretty spot on for a paddy. There's loads of funny one liners, such as: "Salute that you ****ing knob jockey" while beating up some Nazis in a bar :D

Despite all that, it's actually a very fun game. Borrows heavily from GTA, but also from the likes of Assassins Creed a little bit, which I was surprised to see. It's not game of the year or anything but defo worth a shot if your into this style of game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

games borrow soooo much from movies eh?!

Looks like Sin city with the black and white and selective coloring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Howitzer wrote: »
    games borrow soooo much from movies eh?!

Looks like Sin city with the black and white and selective coloring.
    I think that actually means something in this though. It's all dark and black and white until your actions start giving hope to the locals and you slowly build back colour. Or at least that's what I think I read about it. It could of been a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

it looks decent but that accent is brutal!! The guy doing the voice was the ranger Byron in Bablyon 5 if anyone can remember him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

It got good reviews and looks interesting
    anyone know how its panning out price wise?

Isn't he English? So he should know better. :D I'm actually starting to get used to the American versions of Irish accents in films and games. I actually think all the accents in the game are fairly dodgy.

I got to play the game a little earlier and it's a lot of fun. It's very like Saints Row 2, a lot more so than GTA. It does have some annoying problems. To climb buildings you have to go to a wall and keep hitting the jump button everytime you want to move up a ledge. It's a little annoying after playing Assassin's Creed 2. And all the cars handle like sh*te, but then again, it's set during the war, so they wouldn't be the best.

edit: oh yeah, it also suffers from a major problem that plagued Mafia when it came out. There's a race mission early on that you have to win to continue the game. Unfortunately the evil German you race against can drive faster than light, so I'm planning on waiting until there's a crack that cancels out that mission.

2nd edit: Actually I'm told that you can turn down the difficulty for the race. Hurrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

Would you reccommend Buy, Rent or run away :D

I didn't get a good play of it, but except for the race, I thought it was great fun. I'll try and get another shot tomorrow and I might be able to describe it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

humanji wrote: »
    I didn't get a good play of it, but except for the race, I thought it was great fun. I'll try and get another shot tomorrow and I might be able to describe it better.

Are you talking about the race in Germany or a later one??

I've just played it for an hour and thought that it was great fun. Makes sense to me that you have to jump from ledge to ledge and the car handling was fun (take note GTA4!). The fighting is good if a little clunky sometimes and the aiming is pretty good. It looks great if a little dark sometimes but that may be my tv or I may have put the contrast to too dark.

The accent is more funny than annoying imho especially when he is insulting ppl. Some German punter calls him British and it was classic when Sean stood up and said "I'm fooking Irish". Or when he was talking to a German and said "You're a fookless, motherless knobjockey".

The story is great. A little cliched but that's what you want in a Nazi fighting game. All in all, I thought it was tremendous fun and I'm looking forward to playing more.

Yeah it was the first race I was talking about. I know it ties in with the story, but I felt the racing was just put in to drag out the game and give another mini-game for people to try and unlock stuff with.

I got to play again and really enjoyed it. I'll definitely pick it up, but it does have a few problems. Some of the checkpoints didn't activate, so I had to run back and forth over them until they did. There was also a problem with the race when I did it again where a cut-scene is meant to trigger, but it wouldn't. I won the race, but the announcer still logs another guy as the winner and I fail the mission. I had to restart twice before it would play the cut-scene.

And after listening to more of the accents, I think they're all laughably bad, but it isn't too jarring and kind of makes the game feel like one of those war films from the 50's and 60's. Although there's an English girl that makes me cringe every time she says anything. Her accent and her lines are just terrible.

It's a good game, but I think some people may be better of renting it first to see if they like it. I'm going to buy it myself, but I get the feeling that people won't find enough to do in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

What's the best price for this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

everyone see the "nude" add on for this? you get a token with the game when you buy it to download it off xbox live. its crazy! you only get it new so if you get a lend of it or rent it or whatever it costs a €5! pure money maker aimed at the teenagers!

No, that dlc is to encourage people to buy new rather than preowned. Same thing they did with the Flashback map pack in Gears 2.

Also wondering where the best price is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Its €45 in HMV and €55 in Gamestop

It's €50 in Xtra-vision.

The leaflet the dlc code is on is pretty cool, it's a ticket to the "Le Spectacle De Minuit." Nice touch that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gazmc

Just bought this for €34.98 in gamestop, sale on at the moment, they are also showing a trade-in value of €27 for it, so might complete it and trade it in asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

€35 in Smyths as part of the sale. As are Fight Night Round 4, NFS Shift and Brutal Legend. I can't afford this!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've played it, it's good but it's just as compelling as GTA.

Advertisement