Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queue for BoI ATMs on Mainguard Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Meemars wrote: »
    British people queue, they love to queue, they know they queue, they admit it and slag themselves about it. I'm married to a Brit, so there's no hate going on there. I thought to include a little lightheartedness to ease our way through the topic. I'm hoping your smiley meant that you took it in that way.

I didn't at the time. I honestly thought you were having a dig. Sorry for taking you up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

[quote=lucianot;63267324
    Come on, independence of thought? Just get 20 foreigners and they'll do the same, me included.
    That's just arse-oriented mass behavior.[/quote]

Queueing by it's very nature is mass behaviour, it's the positioning of the queue I admire.
    Seems to me it's a pretty divisive issue, you either like it or not. I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I used to really dislike this queue. Then it amazed me for a while. Now after hearing all the arguments, I have decided to like the queue, and will do so until someone proves it is bad.

By the way, one theory (that I have heard) as to why people queue like this is that there are magnetic gridlines at a 90 degree angle out from the wall where the ATMs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Meemars wrote: »
    Queueing by it's very nature is mass behaviour, it's the positioning of the queue I admire.
    Seems to me it's a pretty divisive issue, you either like it or not. I like it.

I do see your point. I don't really like being told what to do, but I do like to do things properly (of my own accord). I would be inclined to queue along the window without there being a sign. My instinct to do things properly overrides my dislike of being told what to do in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Would be more anarchist if all the people lined up by the wall without being told, that I would admire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Let's just leave this and say that regarding this particular queue there is no right and wrong

Right = Queueing up as you would for any atm OR queuing by the wall in this case

Wrong = Queueing by the wall despite there being a sign OR queueing infront

This is a surprisingly divisive issue.

The last time i queued by the wall was on a saturday ages ago as i had my bike with me and didnt want to block people. when i started i was the queue but just as one of the atms became free some dude appeared out of nowhere and tried to jump ahead of me. on any night you see at least 10 people queuing up infront of it, if someone decided to go by the wall with the logic that this was the real queue and those people infront of it were deluded i guarantee that an argument would break out. If i walked past there tomorrow and needed to use it and there were people to the side i'd join that queue, but remember it only takes 1 person to start a queue and most people follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KevR wrote: »

It pisses me off that people don't have any awareness of what's going on around them (i.e. - they are in someone elses way).

+1 to that. People on the street or in shopping centres that just suddenly come to an abrupt halt to go fumbling in bags or pockets, or to have a chat. Or people who stand talking in shop doorways paying no attention to all the peopel squeezing by either sid eof them.

I want to murder these people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stekelly wrote: »
    +1 to that. People on the street or in shopping centres that just suddenly come to an abrupt halt to go fumbling in bags or pockets, or to have a chat. Or people who stand talking in shop doorways paying no attention to all the peopel squeezing by either sid eof them.

I want to murder these people. :)

+2.

And people who wait at the bus-stop for ten minutes, but only fumble thru their purse for the fare when the bus comes.

And people (I have to say mainly from older generations) whose approach to crossing the road involves raising their hand like Moses and stepping out into the traffic expecting it to part for them without so much as a glance to see if there's any cars coming. (I even saw a woman do this on the magic roundabout once, was certain she's get squished - but no, just tooted!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I've seen this que the last few Saturdays, whats the story with the securicor van reversing up to the door and parking there for a few hours every Saturday blocking half the street. Is it as a wind breaker for all the arseways que...ers. Does this happen at the other banks? Kind of them but a bit tight for an ambulance should it have to go into the pedestrianised area, Mainguard st. is the only exit for an Ambulance. I remember the fuzzy green politician O'Broilloc yawn trying to get stalls put in down the street for a market last time he was tryin to get votes and it being thrown out cause of ambulances needing the street!.... ANyways, the securicor anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

JustMary wrote: »
    +2.

And people who wait at the bus-stop for ten minutes, but only fumble thru their purse for the fare when the bus comes.

And people (I have to say mainly from older generations) whose approach to crossing the road involves raising their hand like Moses and stepping out into the traffic expecting it to part for them without so much as a glance to see if there's any cars coming. (I even saw a woman do this on the magic roundabout once, was certain she's get squished - but no, just tooted!)

+3 And people who insist on packing their bags at the tills in Tesco/Aldi/Lidl oblivious to the queue building up behind them. All they have to is push the trolly 6 feet to the shelf behind them. Fair play to the Aldi staff who politely shove everything into the trolly to get em to move on Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Both machines were busy one evening so I stood by the sign in the window.

The guy at the machine accused me of trying to see his pin - I had to point out the sign.

Well he had a point, if you are standing beside him you have a much better view of his hands and the keypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Should there be a queue for each machine or should there be a single queue where the person at the head of the queue moves to the next available ATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

lion_bar wrote: »
    Should there be a queue for each machine or should there be a single queue where the person at the head of the queue moves to the next available ATM?

My vote would usually be for a single queue, makes for less tension and glaring at the faster queue:p In this situation, it would make a longer line across the street tho..
    Saying that, if I were to start one behind 2 occupied machines, I would probably stand in the middle and start a one liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

lion_bar wrote: »

a single queue would be more efficent

Advertisement