Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Connection, but slow speeds.

• 29-11-2009 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys,
    I've got the UPC 20mb package.
    636590660.png
    While I'm not getting full speeds, it's still going pretty fast.

But my problem is with actual file download speed.
    All my files - off any site - generally only download at around 200kb a second. When I should be getting at least 900k with the connection going at 10mb like what it says on my speed test (should be going double that again for what I'm paying).

I check this out with both my PC and Mac and I still only download around 200k.
    I've reset my router a few times, and checked it's settings. Nothing has changed.
    I used to be getting full download speeds, but since around last week, I've been stuck.

Just wondering if you have any advice for me?
    Would this be a bandwidth issue? Even though speedtest.net says I'm going fast, could this be a UPC end issue?
    Or is there anything I could try at home (other then ring them)?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Are you using a download manager? Or just the regular Internet Explorer or Firefox downloader?

Try installing something like Free Download Manager: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm (don't worry, there's no spyware or anything) and see if you get the full speed then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

What sites are you downloading off? Free downloads will be notably slower than premium

Advertisement