Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions relating to History and Geography

Options
  • 29-11-2009 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

In History I need to know a few things.

When writing about Stailin they would probably ask you to discuss Stalins Russia, his economic policy and how he used violence to repress people(?)

If you were writing these essays how would you organise them?

I have for the economic and stalins russia question
    opening paragraph@ succeeded lenin, russia in a bad financial state, 100 years behind economic powerhouses, centred his regime around rapid industrialisation, achieved some great success but with an impact on the ordinary russian

2nd paragraph: five year plans(how would you organise this, would you spread the plans over how many paragraphs?) results of five year plans-few stats, moscow underground, europes largest hydroelectric plant, railway linking to central asia etc.
    education

3rd paragraph: collectivisation: main aspect, distrusted peasents, make farms more productive to provide food for labour force and to increase exports, peasents forced to hand over land to local collective(forget what its called now dont have my book nearby) not a success, attributed towards famine which killed 10 million in 1932 and 1933

human cost
    kulaks-seen them as a thread to communist, stalin talked of 'eliminating them as a class' 5 million either executed or deported from land

so yeah i know about the show trials, the gulag and stuff but how would you organise this essay(the econimic and general stalin essay)

Next, geography and in particular regions. When talking about development of primary activities in a region you have studied i talk about west of ireland.

then i talk about agriculture, fishing and forestry.

agriculture-long been an important part of west economy(over 64 per cent of farms found in west) however a number of factors inhibit the growth of it as an industry-
    rugged landscape, peat and gley soils, climate-abundant rainfall
    peripheral location away from domestic and international markets
    many farmers over 50 and conservative in their methods
    small farm size
    livestock raising main type of farming done-sold onto bigger farms in the midlands and east
    many farms rely on eu assistance in form of CAP

fishing-before 1960 fishing was drastically underdeveloped, since then however the industry has grown particulary aquaculture
    advantages for fishing in region: natural inlets, rich fishing grounds of athlantic, shallow continential shelf provides plankton
    main fishing ports located in west-killybegs is irelands largest fishing port
    eu quotes-limited the expansion of sea fishing
    aquaculture-accounts for 50 per cent of all fish caught by value
    pollution free waters ideal

and then forestry too tired to write about it but yeah, is this the kind of thing you would write about?

merci

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

cant help u with history but for geography that sounds about rite! u cud if u wanted leave out forestry and go into more detail in ag and fishing.. make sure u use examples aswel
    and also,not trying to b smart but u could get asked to discuss primary activities in a region excluding ireland so know about other regions awell!!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

For geography, you need to have enough SRP - stated relevant points, as far as I remember its about 14-16 per long question. didn't do history so I can't advise you on that

Advertisement