Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gavin Bryars

Options
  • 29-11-2009 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Any Bryars fans here?

I'm listening to Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet right now (the one with Tom Waits). Hypnotic stuff.

What else is worth listening to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

I bought Jesus' Blood in HMV (back when they had a nice classical section, maybe 10 years ago), having been intrigued by bits I heard on television. When I listened to it at home though, I hated it. I particularly hate the effect of tracks being faded in and out which happens a lot, I seem to remember (possibly people who listen to more popular music than I do (i.e. any) accept this more readily).

Anyway, I brought it back and HMV were nice enough to give me a refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Hahaha, you can bring back CDs just because you don't like them??

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Highly recommend 'The Sinking of the Titanic'. There have been a few releases which differ from each other, my favourite being the 1994 release on Point Music which is a lot more haunting than the more recent version on Touch. Both great, just lean more towards the 94 one myself...

http://www.discogs.com/Gavin-Bryars-The-Sinking-Of-The-Titanic/release/1920423

I haven't heard the editions prior to the 94 release so can't comment on those...

http://www.discogs.com/Gavin-Bryars-The-Sinking-Of-The-Titanic/master/32298

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Hahaha, you can bring back CDs just because you don't like them??

I did say it was nice of them. I just thought I would never listen to it again, so I went back and asked: I had bought it a few days before. I was a pretty regular customer there at the time. I'm sure things are different now--- last time I was in HMV in Grafton Street they barely had any classical CDs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Clinker wrote: »
    I did say it was nice of them. I just thought I would never listen to it again, so I went back and asked: I had bought it a few days before. I was a pretty regular customer there at the time. I'm sure things are different now--- last time I was in HMV in Grafton Street they barely had any classical CDs

I think Tower is the only place with a decent classical section now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement