Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Eireann Radar

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Showers are quite frequent and heavy in the last couple of hours here. Not showing up well on Met.ie radar at all. :(

Met Radar is not working at Shannon so they are not showing up on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

How is the weather in the city at the moment? showers are turning increasingly nasty here in the north of the county. and I see Claremorris has reported a fall of 2.1mm at 10pm, which no doubt fell is a very short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How is the weather in the city at the moment? showers are turning increasingly nasty here in the north of the county. and I see Claremorris has reported a fall of 2.1mm at 10pm, which no doubt fell is a very short space of time.

Quite here for a while now but showers during the night when that lot come in, lightning showing up as well.

Just as I posted this the heavens have opened here with torrential rain took me by surprise as I did not see it coming due to the radar not working.

http://www.laoisweather.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=59

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Shannon radar is back online since 10.15

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Looks like a contract has been awarded for the modernisation of the SNN radar. Probably take eons guessing the rate that these things happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

What's the betting that they will encounter problems & it will be offline for too long !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Discodog wrote: »
    What's the betting that they will encounter problems & it will be offline for too long !

Don't be so negative, it'll be a great success and then the Dublin one will go down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

octo wrote: »
    Looks like a contract has been awarded for the modernisation of the SNN radar. Probably take eons guessing the rate that these things happen.

NAME, ADDRESSES AND CONTACT POINT(S): Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill, Contact: Instrumentation and Environmental Monitoring Division, Attn: Tom Bannon, IRL-Dublin 9. Tel. +353 18064232. E-mail: tom.bannon@met.ie. Fax +353 18065505.

Must ask him when he is installing in Dooncarton and Mt Gabriel.

Joe Public wrote: »
    Don't be so negative, it'll be a great success and then the Dublin one will go down.

Us Westies know that the Dublin radar is not allowed to go down !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Quail

Discodog wrote: »

As the contract is just awarded, then I would expect that it may take some time before it is completed

• Advertisement

Those innocuous looking clouds off the east coast cause a fair few moderate rain showers across south Dublin and north Kildare last night and probably a little further afield.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice little update/upgrade of the ME radar online now. Lots more intensity ranges.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Just a pity they have not included Belfast radar to give better coverage for the north of Ireland/Donegal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tis, only problem is that it has actually been raining here for longer than it has been raining on the radar. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just noticed it there too, looks like a great improvement to me. Bigger, better colours, higher-res. I'm not sure about the dark purple after the light yellow but we'll wait and see, it might work fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just a pity they have not included Belfast radar to give better coverage for the north of Ireland/Donegal.

That's always been a major problem, it baffles me as to why they don't use it. The UKMO use ours after all! Maybe a Met Eireann rep. could clear that up for us?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Tis, only problem is that it has actually been raining here for longer than it has been raining on the radar. :)

As long as Dublin has good coverage, sure that's all that matters......:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Rougies wrote: »
    That's always been a major problem, it baffles me as to why they don't use it. The UKMO use ours after all! Maybe a Met Eireann rep. could clear that up for us?

Have always wondered about that as well. Especially given the fact the NW and N of Ireland is not covered well by the Shannon & Dublin Apt radars at all. Having said that, love the new radar especially the increased size and softer colour tones.

228902.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I emailed them about it a year or two back, can't find the email now but from what I remember it was simply down to cost. Really cant remember the specifics but it was a convincing enough answer, they held their hands up and admitted I was better off using the UKMO radar so I'm sure its something they'd like to sort out if they could.

Loving the new radar as well, I prefer the colour scheme to the UK alternatives. The colour progression from purple upwards looks a bit odd but can't really judge until/if we ever get some proper heavy rain.

Considering the higher resolution, a bigger map or a zoom feature would be nice but I suppose that can wait for another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Harps wrote: »

Considering the higher resolution, a bigger map or a zoom feature would be nice but I suppose that can wait for another day!

ctrl and the mouse wheel (or + key) zooms it up to big.

I use the radar a lot more than most. It does look nice but I seriously doubt the ability to define rainfall to such narrow bands. On the old image each colour represented a band spanning 2.5 mm whereas the new image reduces this to 1 mm. It will take a little getting used to.

By the way it zooms nicely on my android phone but the radar image on the android app doesn't zoom. The image on the app is the old radar & comparing the two it is much easier to define the areas of heavier rain.

• Advertisement

What's worrying is that they have dropped the link to the old rainfall radar, I prefer its clear vivid colours.
    The old radar is still there at http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar-old.asp but for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

What a pity - the Shannon radar is down again for the past three or four days.
    Seems to be an ongoing reliability issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Sorry!!! I just found it a few minutes after posting above.

Actually I only discovered this great weather section on Boards.ie today!

J.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement