Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whv

Options
  • 29-11-2009 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hey my boyfriend is thinking of going traveling around Australia from what i have been reading it is very hard to get work. He will be living i Sydney and going in march. I think he feels he will walk into a job at a bar or something and everything will be really cheap ie: rent and stuff. Is this true? How is life for people living in Sydney?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

where is he getting these facts from? it seems ppl back home think australia is a magical wonderful country that is handing out free money and everything is cheap and everyone beomes millionaires after a week!

if hes lucky, he might get a job in a pub somewhere. depends on if anywhere is looking or not, and depends on how many people apply for the job before him. he also needs to do a course before they'll hire him.

regardin rent, depends where u go. i know of some cheap places for about 145 dollars a week. thats the cheapest i know of and thats sharing with 5 others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 banky

yea he said he was goin to do a course over there? is it easy for people to get jobs? is there a time limit that you have to return home if you do not find a job?

nah theres no time limit. u can go the whole year without working if u want.

cant answer the other question though. it can be hard, or it cna be easy. i know people that couldnt get jobs at all and had to go home, i know others who got one straight away, including a bloke that got the first job he applied for with a company car and phone and good pay.

It depends though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

banky wrote: »
    yea he said he was goin to do a course over there?

RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) is not exactly a course..... you pay about $90 to do it and is compulsory to be able to work in a bar, it is no guarantee to obtain a job.

banky wrote: »
    is it easy for people to get jobs?

If you go out a look for one yes..... same as back home.

Australia is not paved in gold and has not more jobs to shake a stick at like some people would lead you to believe. There is a skill shortages in jobs like nursing and Engineering but in general there is fierce competition for casual type of work or bar work from other backpackers and young Australians

The_B_Man wrote: »
    including a bloke that got the first job he applied for with a company car and phone and good pay.

It depends though.

Hey B_Man how do you know me?????

• Advertisement

lol what? i dont know you.

Sorry I thought you were talking about me below...... only you left out the sponsorship, amex card and laptop.
    i know others who got one straight away, including a bloke that got the first job he applied for with a company car and phone and good pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Sorry I thought you were talking about me below...... only you left out the sponsorship, amex card and laptop.

Jesus you don't half love blowing your own trumpet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Wow! Sarcasm detectors on the blink.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Wow! Sarcasm detectors on the blink.

Well he did sort of mention about his brilliant life on another thread so we can only presume there was no sarcasm :P
    I bet if you were earning $90,000+ a year with a spanking new 4WD company car and had a 5m Speedboat sitting in your garage you wouldn't knock it.

Would it still be overrated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

He gets that for free too.

Well a man has to earn his crust...

Indeed you do, Fair play to you and all ..but there's no need to gloat. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Well he did sort of mention about his brilliant life on another thread so we can only presume there was no sarcasm :P
    Indeed you do, Fair play to you and all ..but there's no need to gloat.

I can only hope this was sarcasm.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I can only hope this was sarcasm.

Doesn't appear to be:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63281449&postcount=54

More: :rolleyes:
    What are you talking about? I have never bought a car in my life, I have always driven company cars in Ireland, UK and Australia.... Its part of my job. I dont even have to pay for fuel i get a Caltax card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eringobragh
    Jesus you don't half love blowing your own trumpet

Id say he does a fair bit of blowing alright judging by the boat he has.

Advertisement