Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaky glock mag?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

i stupidly left a extended glock mag full of gas for about 2 months, now it the gas pi$$es out when i fill it.

if you look at the bottom of the mag there is a square shape, the gas is getting oout from around that. i reckon iv wrecked a seal inside it:( is there any way of taking that square out and replaceing the seal or any other way to fix it???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

lube up well with silicone and see does it stop it, if not its new seal time. dunno if you can open glock mags though,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Take off the slidey cover thing on the bottom and theres a screw under that. with that out you'll be able to remove the base of the mag and rub some silicone grease on there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

Masada wrote: »
    Take off the slidey cover thing on the bottom and theres a screw under that. with that out you'll be able to remove the base of the mag and rub some silicone grease on there. :)

theres no screw are you talking about the valve richie??

No but its close to the valve, You need to remove the sliding cover thing on the bottom before ya see it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

theres no screw are you talking about the valve richie??

Theres a screw beside the fill valve. I have outlined it with a red circle.

And heres it is open:

Be careful when you open it as the plastic piece at the bottom of the spring has a tendancy to shoot out when you take the silver piece out ;).

Edit: I took down the pictures as they are not relevant to a KWA mag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I had a similar problem with a brand new KJW magazine for a P226.

I read all sorts of advice on the internet before comming to the realisation that PTFE tape and Boss White are the perfect materials for sealing such devices like magazines. Red Foliac could also be used for a perfect seal but its really messy and pretty permanment for a magazine.

Apply a smear of Boss White around the o-ring, wrap as many layers of PTFE tape as required over the o-ring, another decent smear of Boss White and reassemble. Wipe off excess Boss White and ideally leave overnight before testing. You'll still be able to open the magazine in the future if you wish and it it still leaks try more tape and another decent smear of Boss White.

These materials are used in the plumbing industry and are widely and cheaply available. They're also designed for sealing under pressure i.e. water, steam, compressed air etc... Ok, strictly speaking Red Foliac would be the correct compound to use for gas but we're not talking about a domestic or industrial installation that needs to meet regulations. Beware that some hardware stores often sell a different compound as Red Foliac, it comes in a little squeezy bottle and is for threaded joints rather than compression joints (which best resemble a magazine seal) so the little squeezy bottle while much less messy won't really work well. Not sure why the hardware stores insist on selling people this compound for compression joints but that's another story I guess...:rolleyes:

Oh yes, resist overtightening the screw as its easy to strip threads. Use more tape as required instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

have some older kwa magazines and they do not have this screw but 2 retaining pins running through the lip of the slider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Are they leaking?

my mags are kwa none of them have that screw but i do see the retaining pins weeder was talking about now, i might try pop them out later and see what happens.

thanks tactical, i have some ptfe and boss white in the car il use that to try fix it.

Hmm I also have a KWA Glock, but I never noticed it used pins instead of a screw :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

i have 2 of those mags, both have pins, only bought them back in april so they must be fairly new
    when did you get yours dread?

gungun wrote: »
    i have 2 of those mags, both have pins, only bought them back in april so they must be fairly new
    when did you get yours dread?

When did I get what? My KWA Glock? Haven't a clue, maybe 10-11 months ago (Thats a complete guess though).

Edit: The pictures that I uploaded are from my Army Glock 17, I have two of them. I got one when I started airsoft a year and a half ago and then I got one about a month ago off TerrorFirmer.

Why does when I got it matter?

Dread-Lock wrote: »
    Hmm I also have a KWA Glock, but I never noticed it used pins instead of a screw :o.

iv 5 mags 3 normal size and 2 extended which were bought at verious stages over the last year and not one of them has a screw in the bottom of it:confused:

Well then you'll have one of the ones that have a pair of pins in the bottom of it, tap them out and the base will come out, revealing the o-ring., :)

I don't think it really matters when you bought the mags, thats why I'm a little confused as to why gungun is asking.

Its the type of mag. My KWA mag has pins in it (like your KWA mag). My Army mag has a screw in it (like in the picture). Wheres the confusion?
    Masada wrote: »
    Well then you'll have one of the ones that have a pair of pins in the bottom of it, tap them out and the base will come out, revealing the o-ring.,

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

Dread-Lock wrote: »
    I don't think it really matters when you bought the mags, thats why I'm a little confused as to why gungun is asking.

Its the type of mag. My KWA mag has pins in it (like your KWA mag). My Army mag has a screw in it (like in the picture). Wheres the confusion?

+1

sorry, i thought the mag with the screw at the base was a kwa mag, like a new version
    the reason i said that i got my mags in april and was asking when you got yours was to see how resent the (believed) change was, but they arnt kwa mags, so now i know thats its army with the screw, kwa with the pins

Advertisement