Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading heating-thoughts please :)

Options
  • 29-11-2009 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, as per this post on Electrical, I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have, thanks.
    me wrote:
    I've been thinking about this too, but have decided to go down a different road, as the heating system here is over a decade old, and not designed for zoning. Had the HALO guy in recently which focused my attentions on this again.

I'm doing the following;

1. Fitting a condenser boiler-grant available. (I only tossed the original Grant piece of crap a couple of years ago!)

2. New insulated cylinder and solar panel kit (again grant aided).

3. Two primary zones, one for rads, and one for hot water-wired from existing controller (a two channel digital controller-house is timber frame so running cables is possible, not easy, but eminently do-able)

4. Each rad to be controlled by powered TRV and digital room stat. I'm going down this road as all of my rads are, or will be hidden behind rad covers.

http://europe.hbc.honeywell.com/prod...-ge51r0403.pdf

I'd be running a 3v supply rail around the house to avoid mucking about with batteries every two years, though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

1.I've got a Combi condensing boiler,has section for central heating and another one for domestic water.35Kw unit,does the trick for a standard 'crappy' 3 bed house.

2.I've got rid of the cylinder,it's worth investing in to a solar system only if you have money to spare.At the moment i consider that they are still expensive...against the local weather ! I'll get a solar system if i'll go for a underfloor heating system,that will greatly save money and improve comfort.

3.The combi boiler does not have remote controlls for Domestic Hot Water,only for Central heating,where you can fit whatever controller / themostat/chronostat wired-wireless you'll like.Myself i've got one from h e r e :

4.Absolute a must to get TRVs on the rads,i was thinking to get two zones,one zone for d/stairs and second for upstairs,individually managed and controlled by a CM two zone controler,but no more money left after change over...Also,i saw somewhere a digital TRV individually configured on each rad,without a central command unit.The main advantage was that beside the temperature setting had a built-in timer that allows me to switch OFF or ON at a pre-defined time...Still looking on savings from bill and maybe next winter project !

Enjoy ... a lower gas bill after all ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Thanks rolion, appreciate that input :)

I'm on oil myself, so all the more reason to get this in before the price skyrockets!

I hope you're noticing the savings already.

Advertisement