Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Shannonairport from Galway - what route?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have to get to Shannon airport later this week, had planned on taking the city link bus.

Anyone know what route they are using and how long I should estimate for the journey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I think they're going Galway-Loughrea-Gort-Shannon because of the floods between Galway and Gort. It will probably take an extra hour at least off-peak, and even longer at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Thanks.

Any idea when the roads around Ardrahan/Gort might re-open?

If you keep an eye in this thread, I'm sure someone will post an update as soon as the N18 is open again.

Thanks Kev, I'll keep an eye on that thread. Would be great if that road was re-opened by Friday but tbh I'm not holding out much hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Just remember that final check in for Aer lingus flights is 50 mins before departure and Ryanair is 40 mins.

If you don't have a bag check in online and tbh in Shannon even going thru security a half hour before departure and you'll get thru no bother; it's never all that busy.

Obviously the journey down will take a bit longer; Kilchreest road is very slow; so just take that and the times above into account when you are picking your bus time. Hope you get there:)

• Advertisement

Thanks Madame Razz, I hope I make it also!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I walked down to Kiltartan yesterday to see the floods on the road.

I would imagine it will be a long time before that road is open again unfortunately!

Is there anyone actually doing something to help alleviate the floods - i.e. are the council out there or what is the story?

How come it's so bad there compared to everywhere else? What's the story with the wall they knocked? (I never really heard what happened)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

The water was all built up on the left hand side of the road as you head to gort and the road was completely under water. They knocked the wall on the right hand side of the road so that the water could run across the road down to the lower lying ground on the far side of the road. This then caused 7ft of water to settle around the church in Kiltartan and it caused a number of peoples houses to flood that were otherwise not flooded. Although some of the water ran across the road it did not solve the problem and there are still numerous feet of water still on the road. I'll upload some photos later that I took yesterday evening.

Initially there was a huge waterfall coming off the N18 down into the fields when the wall was knocked, now there is only a very small dribble as the levels seem to have settled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

buzz55 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have to get to Shannon airport later this week, had planned on taking the city link bus.

Anyone know what route they are using and how long I should estimate for the journey?

I dropped my brother off at Shannon airport from Galway City this morning. Using the diversion via Loughrea it took 90 mins but I left at 6.45am however coming back took 2 and a half hours due to traffic

Hurray, it would appear that the road has re-opened at Kiltartan on a stop and go system.

Fingers, toes & other appendages crossed it stays open :p

Advertisement