Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare Flooding Now

Options
  • 29-11-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

*KILDARE* The M7 Dublin/Limerick Rd from Kill to Johnstown is impassable. Further along this route, the road between Johnstown and Naas is also impassable; take an alternative route. * The Newbridge Rd (R445) is closed from the Togher R/A at Red House for traffic heading into Newbridge; this is due to flooding. * The local road at Forenaughts is also impassable from past the rugby club. * The Suncroft and Kildangan areas are badly flooded though not impassable; drive with extra care. * The N4 Dublin/Sligo Rd is very badly flooded between J5 Leixlip East and J8 Kilcock. The road is passable with extreme care but alternative routes should be considered
    Bad state of affairs when the Motorways are closed:eek:. Don't ever remember that. Leixlip Village has always been prone to flooding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Came down the m7 to Kildare town just half an hour ago and the motorway was wet but easily passable. Need to head back to Dublin shortly too.

Edit: just checked aa roadwatch again, it's the back road that is flooded, not the m7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I wonder too do AA roadwatch mean the M4 rather than the N4, does the N4 have those named junctions? Do the AA not know the roads in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eymhgbcwojql/rss2/
    The ESB has issued a flood warning for towns in Co Kildare that lie on the banks of the River Liffey including Ballymore Eustace, Kilcullen, Newbridge, Clane, Celbridge and Leixlip.

Went to the dam in leixlip earlier, and a lovely guy let me in with a friend and i got a few pics. Not really flood photos but technically the river is in flood :P

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

Anyone know what Clane is like, which parts of the village are effected ? The nursing home that was evacuated is a bit outside the village I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

So I'm in Citywest,Need to get to Naas,Is the Naas Road blocked as we cant get a definate answer?????:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

No the Naas Road is fine, there's a lot of hysterical reaction going on at the moment but basically all main roads are fine, it's only the small side roads that are affected.
    While the rain has been very heavy, it hasn't been raining for about 3 or 4 hours now and in fact most pavemnts and roads are dry now.
    The link road between Kill & Johnstown has some deep flooding and earlier today some cars were stuck (and abandoned) in it, but the level has subsided considerably over the late afternoon.

Go ahead Mick K, but drive with caution as is always appropriate in wet weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

Thanks Mixer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

mixer101 wrote: »
    No the Naas Road is fine, there's a lot of hysterical reaction going on at the moment but basically all main roads are fine, it's only the small side roads that are affected.
    While the rain has been very heavy, it hasn't been raining for about 3 or 4 hours now and in fact most pavemnts and roads are dry now.
    The link road between Kill & Johnstown has some deep flooding and earlier today some cars were stuck (and abandoned) in it, but the level has subsided considerably over the late afternoon.

Go ahead Mick K, but drive with caution as is always appropriate in wet weather.

to let you know, it doesn't really matter when the rain stopped, it matters how much fell and the fact that all of it will eventually end up in the liffey, which is already in flood...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Where was the flooding in Newbridge ? I was about the area today and didnt see any , although the Liffey was very high ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

The road between Kill and Straffan is fairly bad as it always is. A few cars unfortunately didn't make it through some of the floods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭loveforcelbridg

Footbridge in celbridge closed and the ardclough road too appaernlty, ive picutres and videos if anyone wants ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Footbridge in celbridge closed and the ardclough road too appaernlty, ive picutres and videos if anyone wants ?

I didn't realise it was that bad. Can you get over the bridge and onto the Dublin road ok? I have to go out that way in the morning, though hopefully it'll stay dry tonight and things will improve. Would love to see a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Now for them to close the main bridge and woo.No college:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

im heading to the whitewater sc tomorrow morning, coming from kilkenny so il be coming from the south, anybody know if this flooding will affect me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0jdo6YPRLI
    uploaded and filmed by me ? dont mind the stupid music, theres an audioswap taking place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

uploaded and filmed by me ? dont mind the stupid music, theres an audioswap taking place ?

Were you drinking:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bad flooding situation in Johnstown yesterday evening with a number of approach roads flooded. Even worse is the severe flooding of a local factory near the Morrell river, plus some houses in Johnstown Grove now under imminent threat with water continuing to rise. Spoke to someone who works in the factory and they are livid cos this is the second time this has happened since houses were built in what was a marshy area behind the factory that used to take excess water from the river during times of flood.It looks like jobs could be under threat because the site is no longer viable to insure and the damage already done is immense. The same story with Johnstown Grove housing estate which was built on an obvious floodplain ten years ago and has flooded a number of times since. Certain local councillors from the major parties have alot to answer for in regards to the rash of inappropriate land rezonings that have taken place in Johnstown since the mid 90's.:(

PS: You wouldn't mind but 15 years ago Johnstown Garden centre has to be moved across the M7 because it was built too near the river:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Keep the pics coming folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

MollyZ wrote: »
    I didn't realise it was that bad. Can you get over the bridge and onto the Dublin road ok? I have to go out that way in the morning, though hopefully it'll stay dry tonight and things will improve. Would love to see a picture.
    Went over the bridge at 5:30 this morning, no problems, forgot to have a quick look at the footbridge though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Joe Public wrote: »
    Were you drinking:D

I feel like I've been drinking after watching that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

It looks like a scene from a night club :D,after a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    im heading to the whitewater sc tomorrow morning, coming from kilkenny so il be coming from the south, anybody know if this flooding will affect me?

stay away from athy heard the flooding is bad there around the square area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

img0146.th.jpg

Celbridge last night, would not like to own one of the two cars park across the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

mloc123 wrote: »

Celbridge last night, would not like to own one of the two cars park across the way..

Here's a shot of the two cars

http://www.celbridgetidytowns.com/misc/flood2-29-11-09.JPG

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I need to drive from Maynooth to Portarlington tonight,I usually go the back roads...
    Is there any point even trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

looks like a drunk walk home.

df1985 wrote: »
    looks like a drunk walk home.
    drivers were giving me looks when i was taking the video, so i tryed to hold the phone in a akward way so they woudlnt see me ? :L.. didnt work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DMcQ

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Bad flooding situation in Johnstown yesterday evening with a number of approach roads flooded. Even worse is the severe flooding of a local factory near the Morrell river, plus some houses in Johnstown Grove now under imminent threat with water continuing to rise. Spoke to someone who works in the factory and they are livid cos this is the second time this has happened since houses were built in what was a marshy area behind the factory that used to take excess water from the river during times of flood.It looks like jobs could be under threat because the site is no longer viable to insure and the damage already done is immense. The same story with Johnstown Grove housing estate which was built on an obvious floodplain ten years ago and has flooded a number of times since. Certain local councillors from the major parties have alot to answer for in regards to the rash of inappropriate land rezonings that have taken place in Johnstown since the mid 90's.:(

PS: You wouldn't mind but 15 years ago Johnstown Garden centre has to be moved across the M7 because it was built too near the river:(
    What is the situation with that estate in Johnstown, who is going to pay for the damage in the future when these houses flood again and they cannot claim a penny on insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I made it about 5miles down the road and had to turn back due to the ice and wet!

Advertisement