Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will burying a strange dead cat in my garden interfere with my living cats?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

I just noticed a most beautiful ginger cat dead by the side of the road in my town (Ballincollig). Im toying with the idea of collecting it myself and burying it (a lá this thread) in my garden.

I just want to know however will the dead carcass interfere with my two cats territory. There were lots of problems when I introduced the second kitten, so I dont want any problems with scents etc. Any help appreciated.

Or, if you think its best to ring the council say so!

Ta :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As long as the grave is dug deep enough your other cats will never know what went on (they will investigate freshly dug earth anyway, but that shouldn't interfere with their territory or anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

Why not just lob it in the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As said, as long as the grave is dug deep enough should be no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Ok just buried it there in my backyard, putting a tile over it so my two cats wont be able to dig it up.

I suppose, for the sake of the owner if they come here, the ginger tom cat I found was located across the way from the Oriel Hotel, Ballincollig. It had been dead since at least last night I guess, as the body was frozen over. Im no vet so I cant comment on the cause other than it was probably knocked down and it had blood on its face. Picture:

Attached.

EDIT: Sorry, I shouldnt have posted the pic up front.
    dead cat photo removed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

aww I don't wanna see that :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

poor kitty he was so pretty :( may he RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

Thanks for burrying the poor cat and for also being so brave in taking the picture and posting it here, I wish there was more people like you around, I have coppied the picture as we get calls from the public saying there cat/kitten is missing not a nice thing to have to tell someone that there pet is dead but hopefully this will give closeure to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fnikator

I just noticed a most beautiful ginger cat dead by the side of the road in my town (Ballincollig). Im toying with the idea of collecting it myself and burying it (a lá this thread) in my garden.

I just want to know however will the dead carcass interfere with my two cats territory. There were lots of problems when I introduced the second kitten, so I dont want any problems with scents etc. Any help appreciated.

Or, if you think its best to ring the council say so!

Ta :)

Hi Eliot

I actually buried a strange cat (stray I had seen around in the streets a bit before I found her in front of my driveway) in my yard a few years ago.

I buried her near our "cat toilet" area in my back garden. Its a bit sandy and loose soil, didnt bury her too deep.
    Anyway, about a week passed, and my cats knew something was up. They started avoiding the toilet area, in fact one chose to start doing his business in the kitchen. I thought about it for a bit, and realised they were probably smelling the body (it was high summer in sweden, which gets pretty hot) and I hadnt packed the earth down either after burying her.

Anyway, after talking to a few friends, one of whom is a vet, we came with the idea of making the area more pleasant for my cats. So I put up a small marker on the site, gave the stray a name on it, and left an offering of catnip.

This worked like a charm, cats went back to business as usual, plus we now have a nice little spot to put them in when their time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Be carefull it migh come back and haunt you.

Advertisement