Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Carol @ gate - ok for kids?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I know they say it's "a must for all the family" but just wondering how younger kids would like it. I am thinking of taking my lot but the youngest is 5 and I don't want to scare the pants off him.
    If anyone has seen it and could give me an example of the scarier effects that'd be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm going to see it next Saturday, might be a bit late to tell you then however.

I suppose the ghosts might be a bit scary for little kids but I'd imagine that the production probably makes allowance for that given that it's aimed at kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Concerto

I saw the last run of this a few years ago. From what I can remember it was ideal for families and the ghosts were very warm and weren't in any way scary. The production was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Like OP I saw this a few times in the last couple of years, it is a really charming production and yes it is aimed at kids also, there are even a good few of them involved in the play. The plot might take a bit of explanation to very young kids so it might be no harm to give a bit of background to the story beforehand. The Irish Times gave this years production the thumbs up also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Went to see it on Saturday and really enjoyed it. Brought my 11 year old nephew and he really enjoyed it too.

The production is absolutely fantastic, miles better than a lot of plays I’ve seen that were aimed at the adult market. The set design and costumes were also beautifully done.

I’ve never read the original “A Christmas Carol” but I’d imagine that this production lifts straight from Dickens’ original because the language is quite floury and would be lost on the younger kids. My nephew said that he would’ve been a bit lost but for the fact that he knew the story already having seen the recent Disney version. I noticed quite a few parents explaining the story to their kids during the show.

It’s also quite dark and depending on the kid it could be deemed quite scary.

There was a father and his daughter in the seats in front of us and he had to leave with her because I think she was a bit lost and quite bored tbh. She was only about 3 or 4 so I’d imagine the story was quite lost on her.

I’d definitely recommend the show but not for younger children.

Advertisement