Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DM500 HD

• 29-11-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi

Anyone know when this is supposed to released? Heard it was supposed to be defore xmas but cant find anything definate on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Barr

Think its supposed to be out before xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

is it available yet?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Zardoz

bassy wrote: »
    is it available yet?.
    Nope,still no sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ipnface

I think a few models are out for testing, the clones are already on the distribution line in China it seems:

http://www.yaoxincn.com/productshow.asp?id=1175

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

http://www.satshop.tv/Dreambox-DM-500-HD
    release it on 15th of this month, if it can be believed, seem to be a decent site though haven;t dealt with them, €299 with shipping around €10 guessed by weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

TriStar6 wrote: »
    release it on 15th of this month, if it can be believed, seem to be a decent site though haven;t dealt with them, €299 with shipping around €10 guessed by weight

I've dealt with them. No problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

TriStar6 wrote: »

Product available: 15.02.2010 , any info to what this can do?
    dummy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

On the pictures on satshop one thing to note is the usb port on the back is going to be changed to an RS232 apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Thats site has now changed the date to Feb 15!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Aside from the PVR aspect, does the DM800 have any other advantage over the DM500HD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Not sure if you would call it an advantage but the 800 has an OLED screen whereas the 500 has not.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭jd6677

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Aside from the PVR aspect, does the DM800 have any other advantage over the DM500HD?

I think it also has a faster processor

JD

What will that give you for a Dreambox? faster channel changing or better quality display processing?

the 500 HD has a 400 MHz processor, the 800 has a 300 MHz, I got a 800 clone from China, DSATV, for about 160 euro delivered, better build quality than the original as it has a fan and the new ALPS Rev. K tuner. There's a 200 page discussion of clone versus original on a UK satellite forum. The older models had issues with the tuner but newer versions have improved a lot and of course some sellers are better than others. Its an option for HDTV anyway if you're on a budget.

I heard that the fans on the 800/8000 clones where loud. more noticeable then the originals in terms of background noise. I don't know much about the higher model clones in terms of what images can/can't run on them etc...

maybe some are. there are different suppliers and different quality levels. my fan stays on always but you wouldn't even know it had a fan unless you put your hand over and feel the air. the remote is somewhat unresponsive, but its not a big deal. as for images, mine came with gemini 4.5 patched. there are the usual choice of patched images such as nabilo black hole etc.

the originals have no fan and are prone to overheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

ipnface wrote: »
    maybe some are. there are different suppliers and different quality levels. my fan stays on always but you wouldn't even know it had a fan unless you put your hand over and feel the air. the remote is somewhat unresponsive, but its not a big deal. as for images, mine came with gemini 4.5 patched. there are the usual choice of patched images such as nabilo black hole etc.

the originals have no fan and are prone to overheating.

Hi
    could you pm me with the details of your seller please.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

They should really change the 12v fans for a 5v option and take it from the +5 on the scart via a resistor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Took delivery of a DM800 clone yesterday. Have not had the chance to play with it much but so far so good.

The image that i'm using (which i believe is a modified Gemini 4.5 image) seems to take an age to start-up.
    One great thing about the dreambox is the design of the remote for me. Everyone should adopt same design as far as i'm concerned. Fits into the paw perfectly and due to the shape of it, unlikely to break if dropped.
    Had the original DM7020 remote and the DM800 clone remote side by side last night - and you could definitely notice the difference. The clone remotes obviously using cheaper plastic/manufacturing process - and there seems to be space inside the battery slots for them to fall out.
    However, if thats all thats wrong with it, I'll be happy.

Somebody asked about images - there are plenty of amended images out there. Having said that, for anyone thats already tried a few, any suggestions on what you think is the best?

As regards some clones having loud fans, thats not the case with this one - can't hear a thing out of it.

Advertisement