Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to limit announcements?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to limit announcements to just their own forum?

I know it came up in August when someone was using a bright red font, but clicking on New Posts is bringing up announcements that are of limited interest to the majority of people. Of those listed at the moment, I can see only one that I would consider deserves a site-wide listing.

A useful feature might be if announcements were defaulted to "forum only", and there'd be a special tickbox if it was felt to be of interest/important to all users.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Yes it is possible. But there are some announcements that are for the whole site, that's why you can see them on the whole site. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Like welcoming "Jizzlord" to the well? ;)

Not picking on that example alone (and when I read further into it there seems to be a second post referring to dispute procedures in there), but there frequently seem to be announcements that make me raise an eyebrow. Perhaps that's just my perception though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thoie wrote: »

Not picking on that example alone (and when I read further into it there seems to be a second post referring to dispute procedures in there), but there frequently seem to be announcements that make me raise an eyebrow. Perhaps that's just my perception though.

Just for you I'll make sure every Soc announcement is in big red font with a flashing background. :pac:

nesf wrote: »
    Just for you I'll make sure every Soc announcement is in big red font with a flashing background. :pac:

I won't even have to hunt you down - I'll just need to sit still in January and you'll come to me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Thoie wrote: »

You don't like me?
    :(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm confused... I dont see any site wide announcements (apart from SSF which is usually site wide every year..). Am I missing something?

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm confused... I dont see any site wide announcements (apart from SSF which is usually site wide every year..). Am I missing something?

DeV.

When you click New Posts, every announcement from every forum appears at the top of the page - the only apparent way to get rid of them is to "Mark Forums Read" (which then clears out all new posts), or to click into each individually. At times everything "above the fold" are announcements.

It's not the end of the world, and (as far as I'm aware) no lives have been lost during the time I spend getting rid of them - it would just be convenient if only site wide announcements appeared there.

And Jizzlord, I'm sure you're only lovely.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Do you know, in all the time I've been on Boards I think that may be the first time I've clicked that link. :)

I see the issue now. I dunno if anything can easily be done about it to be truthful, its one of those things that should be fixed but the combination of "impact on user vs length of time to fix" puts it well down Ross's list. Its a PITA that we only have one programmer per se, but until we find a way to clone Ross, thats the reality of the situation. :(
    Let me ask him how hard it would be to remove the non-sitewide ones.

On the positive side, I found a new bit of Boards... :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You can always use the front page filter instead of 'new posts'.

The result is pretty much the same.

Only sitewide announcements:
    http://www.boards.ie/?filter=all

No announcements at all:
    http://www.boards.ie/?filter=noannounce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Steve wrote: »
    You can always use the front page filter instead of 'new posts'.

The result is pretty much the same.

Only sitewide announcements:
    http://www.boards.ie/?filter=all

No announcements at all:
    http://www.boards.ie/?filter=noannounce

Different annoucements being talked about there Steve...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Darragh wrote: »
    Different annoucements being talked about there Steve...
    :confused:

Don't think so, the way I read it was the op is talking about the way all active announcements are returned in a new posts search:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?do=getnew

The front page method yields the same posts less all the announcements (although it only returns a single page of posts).

What other (different) announcements are there?

Its a PITA that we only have one programmer per se, but until we find a way to clone Ross, thats the reality of the situation. :(

OR! you could just send me some of his nail clippings, and lend me a server and a really large jug for a few days? No? Fine. Be like that.

As I said, it's not the end of the world, Thoie gets minorly inconvenienced, no-one dies - it'll be grand, twas just a suggestion.

Oh aye.... I just hate the idea of fobbing off a good suggestion with some made up "problem". I'd rather say "yeah, we should, but realistically its not gonna happen :) ". Its just more respectful basically !!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Do you know, in all the time I've been on Boards I think that may be the first time I've clicked that link. :)

I see the issue now. I dunno if anything can easily be done about it to be truthful, its one of those things that should be fixed but the combination of "impact on user vs length of time to fix" puts it well down Ross's list. Its a PITA that we only have one programmer per se, but until we find a way to clone Ross, thats the reality of the situation. :(

On the positive side, I found a new bit of Boards... :)

DeV.

Sorry for dragging up an oldish post here but just wondering if there is any progress on this? Only bringing it up now as currently there are 5 announcements about the exact same thing on the new posts page and it seems a bit overkill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Could someone edit the template and strip out the announcements? The attached is what it looks like for the last week or two. In Firefox, it flashes.

BLINK was removed from HTML for a reason...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

And they're gone, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Nice one. Thanks to whoever implemented this change.

Advertisement