Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alfa GT 2004...

• 29-11-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/GT/1.9-SPOR/200946195872849/advert?channel=CARS

Anyone own one of these?

I'm thinking of buying one but am very wary of Alfa as they get a lot of abuse for being unreliable.

They seem very good value for money. Similar in value terms to an Mazda RX8 but it has a desiel engine and considering I do quite a bit of driving I reckon the diesel engine would make a lot more sense that said if its going to fall apart and be in the garage half the time I'd better buyin reliable Jap car in the RX8 and pay for the petrol.

I'm torn lads. Love the look of the GT though absolutely love it.

So does anyone own one in diesel in particular and have they had problems?
    What should I look out for it going to buy one?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I have a 2004 GT JTD, imported from the UK in Feb 08. No issues with it so far. The main thing to look out for on this engine is the timing belt and water pump. Have a look here for more info.

This job should have been done by now-if the dealer can't produce service history to show that it has, knock €500-€1000 off the price straight away or get them to do it before it is sold. Don't let them refer you to the 'official' Alfa line that the timing belt should be done at 72,000 or that the water pump shouldn't be done at the same time.

That car has the same mileage as my own and the interior is the same. The colour is rare enough-might not be to everyone's taste. I'm not mad about the 16" alloys, but the ride is supposedly better on these than on the better looking (IMHO) 17s. In general, the standard set up on the GT is quite harsh, so if most of your driving is on R roads (or indeed on the 3rd world surfaces found in many of our cities and towns) etc. you may want to opt for something else, or, like me and many other owners, consider upgrading your suspension (not cheap if done right).

I get around 40mpg, or 550 miles to a tank-spending 50% of my commute in 1st-2nd gear on the M50. It's not the most frugal, but it's not bad. Tax is around €600 a year. Performance in lower gears is not great-even after a remap I'm not mad about the power delivery.

Alfaowner.com is a great resource, even if most of the opinions are biased....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This one seems better value considering it is 2 years younger and is a less loud colour:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195866343

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 john55jo

bazz26 wrote: »
    This one seems better value considering it is 2 years younger and is a less loud colour:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195866343

this out of my price range unfortunately ... I rather it in blue to be honest with ya. also saw one in silver thats nice.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I have a 2004 GT JTD, imported from the UK in Feb 08. No issues with it so far. The main thing to look out for on this engine is the timing belt and water pump. Have a look here for more info.

This job should have been done by now-if the dealer can't produce service history to show that it has, knock €500-€1000 off the price straight away or get them to do it before it is sold. Don't let them refer you to the 'official' Alfa line that the timing belt should be done at 72,000 or that the water pump shouldn't be done at the same time.

That car has the same mileage as my own and the interior is the same. The colour is rare enough-might not be to everyone's taste. I'm not mad about the 16" alloys, but the ride is supposedly better on these than on the better looking (IMHO) 17s. In general, the standard set up on the GT is quite harsh, so if most of your driving is on R roads (or indeed on the 3rd world surfaces found in many of our cities and towns) etc. you may want to opt for something else, or, like me and many other owners, consider upgrading your suspension (not cheap if done right).

I get around 40mpg, or 550 miles to a tank-spending 50% of my commute in 1st-2nd gear on the M50. It's not the most frugal, but it's not bad. Tax is around €600 a year. Performance in lower gears is not great-even after a remap I'm not mad about the power delivery.

Alfaowner.com is a great resource, even if most of the opinions are biased....

cheers for that man you sound happy with yours which is a start. I'll watch out for the issues you mentioned when I go for a test spin durin the week.
    The fuel consumption is great by the sounds of it. I can definately live with 40mpg diesels a bit cheaper than petrol too which is what I'm used too.
    I have to say I was expecting loads of people comin on sayin dont go near the GT its an Alfa and it will break down etc etc.
    Not yet so that has to be a good sign.
    I think it was top gear lads recently sayin that the Alfa cars are gettin more reliable anyway.

john55jo wrote: »
    I have to say I was expecting loads of people comin on sayin dont go near the GT its an Alfa and it will break down etc etc.

Give it time :)

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Give it time :)

but i wonder is it a bit of a myth. Like the german quality build rubbish. I've had a VW's that have been soooooo unreliable

that said i've had jap cars and they really do live up to the talk of being reliable. No problems at all the ones i had in the mazda 6 and toyota corolla.

Anyway I think its time to have a sporty looking car before its too late and I have kids etc...
    The GT is the coolest lookin coupe I've seen and it has a diesel engine too which is fab I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I looked at that car last year. It was €25k then (15 months ago tops). Thought it was a bit rough in places and it wouldn't start for the test drive it. Presuming it was there a long time even then. I personally would try and avoid any car thats not getting a regular run

EPM wrote: »
    I looked at that car last year. It was €25k then (15 months ago tops). Thought it was a bit rough in places and it wouldn't start for the test drive it. Presuming it was there a long time even then. I personally would try and avoid any car thats not getting a regular run

thats mad must be something seriously wrong if its still there that long.

Theres another one from the same place

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/GT/1.9-SPOR/200840190247269/advert?channel=CARS

Wonder if its the same story.

Still some mad depreciation from 25k to 10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

apart from what was said above, colour is v.important when choosing one of these cars....go for red/black/silver...avoid greens/blues

17" rims a minimum aswell. I don't need to elaborate on what redsoxfan has already said. They are very reliable.

john55jo wrote: »
    thats mad must be something seriously wrong if its still there that long.

Theres another one from the same place

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/GT/1.9-SPOR/200840190247269/advert?channel=CARS

Wonder if its the same story.

Still some mad depreciation from 25k to 10k.

I paid around €22k with VRT and all other costs paid for a 2004 UK plate car in Feb 08. I'd say €10k or so is probably about all I would get for it now if I wanted to sell it.

This is worth a read.

GTs aren't very popular in Ireland and as far as I recall, dealers in Ireland have always asked mad prices but seem to be getting more realistic. Have a look in the UK as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

they are also not accepted with open arms in the trade...I was offered €14k for my '07 Monza spec one 4 months ago on a trade in on a new car....top spec diesel with low mileage. They have dropped like stones in the last 18 months which is disappointing for such a great car.

Just on a note on the dealer you are looking at...they don't have a great reputation so worth looking around....the dealers in Waterford are recommended a lot more from the Cork lads on AO.com that Grandons so maybe giving them a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I found grandons good in fairness. Take her for a good spin and listen for any suspesion noises and knocks. Front wishbones and anti roll bar bushes (big job) can give trouble. Ideally get it up on a ramp and have a good inspection of them. Timing belt as mentioned. If it has been sitting there for 1.5 years make sure all the fluids etc are changed. It will come with a 1 year warranty but it provided by a 3rd party and doesnt cover much (wear and tear).

Advertisement