Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA in History/Politics/International Relations

Options
  • 29-11-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I am thinking of applying for a degree in History and Politics or Intrnational Relations next year but am mildly concerned about what kind of job I could get out of it.

Anyone on here graduated with a similar degree or know how such graduates are employed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 allinorfold

The obvious would be teaching.
    My cousin has a BA in History and Politics and went on to a h.dip in law. Studying for the law exams now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dynamopiev

With a degree like that you could do a variety of things. I've got a BA in Modern History and Politics and am doing a graduate training programme for a railway company. Other people on my course work in banking, lots work for public affairs commissions, are interning with MPs, work for the civil service, teach, a couple have done law conversions.

It's a good one if you want to keep your options sort of open. I chose to do it because they were the subjects I was good at like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

I've a BSc in International Studies with a minor in politics. NGO work is the most common route for graduates from my course. I continued on to MA level and am now happily working as a reasercher. Really, unless you want to work in a subject specific area like medicine or engineering, it doesn't matter what you study in arts/social sciences - as long as you get a good degree (1 or 2.1) and can demonstrate an interest in your chosen field (work experience/volunteering) you'll be able to progress to decent grad level jobs or postgrad study.

Advertisement