Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould & mildew

Options
  • 29-11-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a problem with mould or mildew, not sure which it is. We bought a new timber TV stand ( flatpack ) put it together about 4 months ago. Yesterday I noticed at one side on the back, it is covered with black spots. What caused this, is it dangerous to ones health and how can i get rid of it. Our house is heated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

if its in your sitting room check the air vent in the wall. rain water could be getting blown in and affecting the unit. maybe someone spilled something. if the flatpack was damp with condensation when you got it it could be that. just clean the area and keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

mackey087 wrote: »
    if its in your sitting room check the air vent in the wall. rain water could be getting blown in and affecting the unit. maybe someone spilled something. if the flatpack was damp with condensation when you got it it could be that. just clean the area and keep an eye on it.

Hi mackey,

Its in an open upstairs room, just sitting there. I know for a fact nothing got spilt on it. Thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

If its near an external wall then it could be condensation is building up on it, especially if its tight up to external wall....

mad m wrote: »
    If its near an external wall then it could be condensation is building up on it, especially if its tight up to external wall....

Hi mad m,

No its not near an external wall. Its an open plan room just inside the stair bannister. thank you for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Hi

Is the paint flaking off the wall at that side of the unit. Does the wall feel damp. Do you dry clothes inside. Is there condensation on the windows. Is the air vent open and clear

• Advertisement

Hi Ryan T,

no the paint is fine, actually there is an attic at the side of the room and the christmas decorations are stored there and they were fine. Its well dry. I dont dry clothes inside but as you mention it, my windows do have some condensation from time to time and the vents are open.

Advertisement