Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here who's school doesn't do PE?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

In 6th year and PE has been taken off us this year.
    It was taken off us because some people weren't doing it, but that is just an excuse and a really crap one at that.
    Everyone goes up at lunch to the shops and eat fast food and sweets, and I thought the schools were battling with the obesity problem... seems not.
    I thought it was illegal to do this?

Does your school allow you to do PE (Physical Education)? 61 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 61 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Well in our school , in sixth year you choose whether to do it or not. In all other years it's compulsory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's more likely it's been taken off you due to staffing cutbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

In 6th year now and we get a choice whether to do PE or have a study class. I think it works pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

I understand that some of you have the choice, but surely it wrong not to at least have the choice to do it. We are forced not to do it... PE that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

We have to, I'd love the choice though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Schools are supposed to provide PE for all students, 2 hours per week. PE is considered a second tier subject in most schools as it is not an exam subject, and because of that, principals are happy to cut in it order to give more time to academic subjects. 88% of school principals surveyed recently said they are in favour of compulsary PE classes, where as the number drops to 53% for senior cycle.

Its disgraceful that students are not being provided PE for all, I presonally think it should be compulsary if it is an interesting class being provided by the PE teacher - not just them throwing in a football and whoever plays plays and whoever doesn't want to doesn't. Any school promoting a holistic education should be providing it for all years.

Out of curiosity, for those of you that have a choice between PE and study
    1. Whats the breakdownm, roughly how many do what?
    2. Whats the PE class like? Is it structured?

Thread over on teaching and lecturing about this -> http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671743

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

The kids should have a choice. Throw in a football there. Let them have a kick-about. Most skills are learned on the street though. The fat kids should be forced to do it.

I'd say about 10/15 people do PE and about 40 picked study instead then the other half of the year don't get a choice because they do LCVP.
    I wouldn't know about the PE course, i chose study :o not much of an athletic person.

When we had PE
    1. Nobody studied they either played or else smoked. Everyone in frist year played but then more start smoking and by 3rd year about 10-15% smoke instead of play during PE.
    2. I loved it (although I do love my sport) the way it was just playing.
    Over the years we played soccer, indoor soccer, hurling, football, rugby, basketball, dodgeball and we also did some sprints, streches and things like that. Dodgeball was probably the best but its not something you would do everyweek.
    Back OT isn't 'your health your wealth?'

• Advertisement

In this country Wealth is Health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

It's complsory for us, but I got a note and gave it up so I can get a study class a week. I'm on my own but sure :p means early lunch for me:p

It's complsory for us, but I got a note and gave it up so I can get a study class a week.
    Why the hell would you want to study instead of being with friends. You can do that at home.
    I'm on my own but sure :p means early lunch for me:p
    Yeah more time being a loner:p

Being with friends - PE.

Better ways to do things I'd think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I used to have to do it in sixth year. Up until I went into sixth year,there was the choice between PE and study classes for sixth years,but then it became compulsory.

This year I'm a female repeat in an all boys school,so I'm not allowed to do it :p

There's other times to be with friends imo like breaks and lunches and in between classes. In a study class you can do homework or study for tests or whatever. I'd get excercise outside of school anyway so i prefer the study class but everyones different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

Every year has to do it in my school
    I'd much rather have a choice though, but I can see why we don't
    I don't really mind PE, but I hate doing the same thing for 2 months like football and badminton because by the end of it, I just make excuses not to do PE, especially if I don't like what we're doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Moved to anew school for 5ht and 6th and it dosent do it here grrr

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

laura93 wrote: »
    Every year has to do it in my school
    I'd much rather have a choice though, but I can see why we don't
    I don't really mind PE, but I hate doing the same thing for 2 months like football and badminton because by the end of it, I just make excuses not to do PE, especially if I don't like what we're doing

I'm doing PE teaching in college - junior cycle, yeah you do have to stick to the curriculum, but there is so much variation in it, its up to the individual teacher to be creative.

For senior cycle, there is no curriculum, so the teacher can be extremely creative, though most aren't. Instead of studying about the heart (for those that do biology), why not learn about pulse etc in a health related fitness module in sixth year, relate it to academia, or how about doing something about fitness for life? If teachers recognised the huge different between junior cycle and senior cycle, and went away from the curriculum, then you'd have an increased participation rate. How many of ye would participate fully in something that is away from the junior cycle stuff of games etc, doing health related stuff?

My post http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62790134&postcount=13 describes how the New Zealand system works - where you gain confidence in a skill (striking) by doing a load of different sports, and you actually end up being more confident in a wide variety of sports rather than just one like badminton or soccer.

Games make up too much of the curriculum, figures are in the post above - we need to get away from just the games, and introduce more "thinking outside the box". Thats my take on it, from what I've learnt so far. There are very few schools making the 2 hours per week per student time, especially for senior cycle, and IMO PE is becoming more and more important,because obesity is a growing problem in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

jesus!tony wrote: »
    Why the hell would you want to study instead of being with friends. You can do that at home.
    I don't know what kind of PE they have at your school, but in most places it isn't just a class to doss around with your friends. You actually have to play sport. And not all of us are athletically inclined. I'd much rather study than make a fool out of myself in front my class, thank you very much.

• Advertisement

Lawliet wrote: »
    I don't know what kind of PE they have at your school, but in most places it isn't just a class to doss around with your friends. You actually have to play sport. And not all of us are athletically inclined. I'd much rather study than make a fool out of myself in front my class, thank you very much.
    Where did I say it was a doss? It's having a bit of fun with friends.
    Lawliet wrote: »
    You actually have to play sport. And not all of us are athletically inclined. I'd much rather study than make a fool out of myself in front my class, thank you very much.
    You are way too self-concious imo, what are you going to do fall, miss the ball? Who cares? Laugh about it and get over it!
    Being with friends - PE.

Better ways to do things I'd think.
    How? Explain your posts man. If you are gooing to do something do it right

You are way too self-concious imo, what are you going to do fall, miss the ball? Who cares? Laugh about it and get over it!

Your obviously sports minded - there area lot of people that are quite self conscious when it comes to sports and that kind of quote doesn't help. Not everyone is sporty, so you have to respect that. Insulting people does not help!

Your obviously sports minded - there area lot of people that are quite self conscious when it comes to sports and that kind of quote doesn't help. Not everyone is sporty, so you have to respect that. Insulting people does not help!
    I wouldn't say I am sports minded I try to be open minded. I am self concious about many things and welcome due criticism. From my post this person might learn to improve themselves and therefore it my post does help actually

I wouldn't say I am sports minded I try to be open minded. I am self concious about many things and welcome due criticism. From my post this person might learn to improve themselves and therefore it my post does help actually

Fair enough that you are open minded, your post came across as a bit flippant thats all.

Another quick questions for everyone, curiosity more than anything
    what are the activites that ye have done in PE most often, throughout all your years in school?

indoor soccer mostly, followed by hurling then football.
    Basketball,basketball and more basketball for the girls

We have compulsory PE until 5th yr, when one has the choice between PE or extra Irish/ art/ Geology. In 6th yr you can use that period for study. We have 80 mins of compulsory games every week for every year though. However, I'm currently doing table tennis, so it's not really the most excercising sport! After Easter in 6th yr one can do study instead of games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

The school took P.E off us this year(5th year) to either do a xtra double maths class or double study class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Yeah...speaking as someone who got bullied quite badly for years -PE being the pinnacle of that- laughing it off is a lot easier said than done.
    For you PE is a laugh, and that's fantastic. But for some of us PE was a weekly torture secession. And that's not something that's easy to laugh off and get over.
    jesus!tony wrote:
    From my post this person might learn to improve themselves and therefore it my post does help actually
    Hate to break it to you, but I don't think your post was even mildly helpful. I thought it was very narrow minded actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

For as long as I can remember my school only does PE up to transition year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Yeah more time being a loner:p

In my school PE isn't exactly a doss class. My teacher is an abusive s**t who puts every single girl in our school down. I'd rather study so I can get my points rather than be verbally abused by a teacher. No actually, not more time being a ''loner''. More time getting homework out of the way :)

Advertisement