Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here who's school doesn't do PE?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I did my leaving cert last year, but our school had P.E. Up to 3rd year. After that it was just cut. So 5th and 6th year had me gaining a few pounds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

Lawliet wrote: »
    Yeah...speaking as someone who got bullied quite badly for years -PE being the pinnacle of that- laughing it off is a lot easier said than done.
    For you PE is a laugh, and that's fantastic. But for some of us PE was a weekly torture secession. And that's not something that's easy to laugh off and get over.
    Everyone gets teased or 'bullied' for something in school. Not being able to 'laugh it off', 'give it as good as you take it' take whichever phrase you wish, makes the situation more serious and only makes you a target
    Hate to break it to you, but I don't think your post was even mildly helpful. I thought it was very narrow minded actually.
    It would seem helpful to an open minded person.
    In my school PE isn't exactly a doss class. My teacher is an abusive s**t who puts every single girl in our school down.
    I think you are over-exaggerating your teachers behavior as you are the only one who does study.
    I'd rather study so I can get my points rather than be verbally abused by a teacher. No actually, not more time being a ''loner''. More time getting homework out of the way :)
    More study doesn't mean more points.Quality over quantity. Taking breaks improves efficiency.

But anyway I can't keep arguing with people with these points of view.
    No point in trying to open a locked door.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Its either PE or a double study class in my year, I did study obviously.

Why bother wasting your time in P.E. when you can get your homework done / study for tests at school. Its not as if I'm missing much, I will tell you exactly what we did for 1st - 3rd year

1st year was a mix of fitness tests, running, football/basketball drills and maybe uni-hoc every once in a while.
    2nd year was hell on earth at the start, each week was go in get changed and do 3(!) laps of about 0.65 miles or something . Followed by 100m sprints, relays and the damn bleep test and general fitness test which measured how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. Well I have to say that despite me absolutely despising it for the entire year, I was able to reduce my lap time from a shocking 6 mins (:eek:) to about 3 1/2 minutes which was slightly above the average time.
    3rd year was the best though, all we did was a short warm up and a choice of either indoor basketball or outdoor football. I wasn't too great playing football out on the gravel and I got some pretty nasty injuries from tackles but it was definitley my favourite year for P.E.

Can't believe the stories that some people smoke during P.E., where the hell are the teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jesus!tony wrote: »
    Everyone gets teased or 'bullied' for something in school. Not being able to 'laugh it off', 'give it as good as you take it' take whichever phrase you wish, makes the situation more serious and only makes you a target
    The reality of it though is that those who are terrible at sports and great at school get bullied more often then the athletic people who are absolutely terrible at their subjects.

More study doesn't mean more points.Quality over quantity. Taking breaks improves efficiency.
    Not if these breaks include being ridiculed or bullied. That would only make it worse.

Yeah i wouldn't miss that PE much either.
    Smoking? Two teachers supervising over 100 students. Usually one inside one out.
    Sure what are they going to do. If people are going to smoke they are going to. Can't treat them like babies forever although they do act like it most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

1.Everyone gets teased or 'bullied' for something in school. Not being able to 'laugh it off', 'give it as good as you take it' take whichever phrase you wish, makes the situation more serious and only makes you a target

It would seem helpful to an open minded person.

2. I think you are over-exaggerating your teachers behavior as you are the only one who does study.

3.More study doesn't mean more points.Quality over quantity. Taking breaks improves efficiency.

But anyway I can't keep arguing with people with these points of view.
    No point in trying to open a locked door.

1 not everybody gets teased or bullied, some people do. A lot of teenagers have image issues, and it doesn't necessarily make them targets. Some people would rather not do something that they think they will be bad at, rather than trying it and making a fool of themselves. The bullying has obviously affected that poster quite badly, and by not doing it, they are avoiding the problem. Laughing it off does not solve the problem, the hurt of the bullying is still there.

2. wouldn't believe that - I know what some teachers can be like, it that is the case, that poster is the only one taking themselves out of the situation, which can be very hard to do rather than bearing it, something which no student should have to do, has anything been said to the principal about him/her

3. sport isn't the only break for people. Exercise is beneficial to people, but it does not have to be within the PE context. Some people are studiers and its their thing, and the more study they do, the more points they will get. Probably weird thing, but some people actually enjoy studying and learning new things! Maybe Iheartchem is trying to get homework out of the way to persue activities outside of school, without being under huge pressure??

BTW, I'm of the view that students should be doing the compulsary 2 hours per week, or a double class, most def if the teacher is actually doing something good, that is relatable to the outside world.

party, your PE teacher seemed hell bent of health related fitness, and some games - so many teachers stick to only what they know. There is a huge curriculum!!! Choice of sports, something that I've heard about and seen in action and does work!

The reality of it though is that those who are terrible at sports and great at school get bullied more often then the athletic people who are absolutely terrible at their subjects.
    From the surface that might seem so but once you dig deeper you will see a sickening snobbery that exists.
    'great at school'- Covers two types of people in my opinion. The people who study for hours on end trying to get that ohh so important A or pat on the back. I'm not 'dissin' them atm. And the second, the people who just have ability- the people who can do HL maths at their ease. The first type might get teased the second give what they take. The first type aren't street smart usually. But its way too late for me to make any statement worth noting at the minute.Bed calls.Disregard anything i've said in this post. Don't try qoute me on it either. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I think you are over-exaggerating your teachers behavior as you are the only one who does study.

I'm the only one with an offical doctors note to get out, which is the only way we can get out of PE in my school. So basically you need to be ill and have a doctor to prove it! Not everyone can actually do that! A majority of them sit down in their uniforms and study in the gym and refuse to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Oh the love the quotation marks on bullied there, an obvious attempt to down play a very horrible situation and make people's suffering sound trivial. I also enjoyed that slice of victim blaming at the end. So very open minded of you.
    Being bullied is in a very different league to being teased. It's having people gang up on you in an attempt to hurt and humiliate you. It's hard to laugh off a large group of your peers continuously chipping away at your self confidence. It's hard to laugh off someone stealing or vandalising your things.It's hard to laugh off someone injuring you. And it's very hard to laugh off someone sexually harassing you.

This is off-topic so I'll just conclude by strongly suggesting that you keep your opinions about bullying to your, since you obviously don't know much about it.

1 not everybody gets teased or bullied, some people do. A lot of teenagers have image issues, and it doesn't necessarily make them targets. Some people would rather not do something that they think they will be bad at, rather than trying it and making a fool of themselves. The bullying has obviously affected that poster quite badly, and by not doing it, they are avoiding the problem. Laughing it off does not solve the problem, the hurt of the bullying is still there.
    Everyone gets teased at school everyday.It may not be serious but this is how bullying develops alot of the time.
    2. wouldn't believe that - I know what some teachers can be like, it that is the case, that poster is the only one taking themselves out of the situation, which can be very hard to do rather than bearing it, something which no student should have to do, has anything been said to the principal about him/her
    She is the only one who studies. If a person can't bear something that everyone else can I think that person has to get over themselves. There are a thousand things alot more difficult that I have already done.
    3. sport isn't the only break for people. Exercise is beneficial to people, but it does not have to be within the PE context. Some people are studiers and its their thing, and the more study they do, the more points they will get. Probably weird thing, but some people actually enjoy studying and learning new things! Maybe Iheartchem is trying to get homework out of the way to persue activities outside of school, without being under huge pressure??
    I'm saying that it would be a refreshing rest from the usual class to class routine.Just studying-studying-studying isn't the proper way to do things.

Mixing up quotes there tony. Putting words in people's mouths!
    I did not mix up any quotes. If I did point out where.
    I'm the only one with an offical doctors note to get out, which is the only way we can get out of PE in my school. So basically you need to be ill and have a doctor to prove it! Not everyone can actually do that! A majority of them sit down in their uniforms and study in the gym and refuse to do it.
    So most of the students ignore a teacher that shouts the head off them... Yeah you just showed you exaggerated how bad the teacher is
    Oh the love the quotation marks on bullied there, an obvious attempt to down play a very horrible situation and make people's suffering sound trivial. I also enjoyed that slice of victim blaming at the end. So very open minded of you.
    That 'slice' at the end wasn't victim blaming actually:rolleyes:. It was a piece of information/advice.
    Being bullied is in a very different league to being teased. It's having people gang up on you in an attempt to hurt and humiliate you. It's hard to laugh off a large group of your peers continuously chipping away at your self confidence. It's hard to laugh off someone stealing or vandalising your things.It's hard to laugh off someone injuring you. And it's very hard to laugh off someone sexually harassing you.
    Oh I never saw where she said about: a large group, stealing, vandalising, injuring or sexually harassing. Could you point out where these are for me Lawliet in this topic thread? Or are they all assumptions so you could make your points look better?
    This is off-topic so I'll just conclude by strongly suggesting that you keep your opinions about bullying to your, since you obviously don't know much about it.
    Yeah I didn't get my degree in it yet. Where did you get your information? I love your 'waffle'.
    Just because I am showing little sympathy doesn't mean I know little about it.
    Two entirely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Everyone gets teased at school everyday.It may not be serious but this is how bullying develops alot of the time.
    It develops because people get teased everyday? What exactly do you mean? Explain it a bit better please.

She is the only one who studies. If a person can't bear something that everyone else can I think that person has to get over themselves. There are a thousand things alot more difficult that I have already done.
    What about suicide? Should people with suicidal tendancies get over themselves?

I'm saying that it would be a refreshing rest from the usual class to class routine.Just studying-studying-studying isn't the proper way to do things.
    Some PE classes are not great. It may be handy to get homework out of the way in order to "rest" at home instead of resting at school

I did not mix up any quotes. If I did point out where.
    Post #38

So most of the students ignore a teacher that shouts the head off them... Yeah you just showed you exaggerated how bad the teacher is

That 'slice' at the end wasn't victim blaming actually:rolleyes:. It was a piece of information/advice.

Oh I never saw where she said about: a large group, stealing, vandalising, injuring or sexually harassing. Could you point out where these are for me Lawliet in this topic thread? Or are they all assumptions so you could make your points look better?

Yeah I didn't get my degree in it yet. Where did you get your information? I love your 'waffle'.
    Just because I am showing little sympathy doesn't mean I know little about it.
    Two entirely different things.

icon4.gif

TONY.

You show little sympathy in relation to Bullying?

1. Bullying develops out of teasing
    2. Everyone in school gets teased they should get over it.
    Not everyone has suicidal tendacies so therefore this is not relevant.
    3. In post #38 I am quoting post #35. The #35 post is my post with his words in bold added in. #35 he quotes with his additions in bold in #35.
    4.No I have sympathy for bullying but not much in this persons case due to reasons I wont comment to on a public forum.
    Done

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

No, everybody doesn't, some people do

The others are sitting out in the gym in their uniforms, not participating either. She is doing something constructive out of it. I don't care about the difficult things you have done, it is obvious that this teacher is conducting themselves professionally.

Once again, you are assuming that the person in question does not do any outside activities. I for one, didn't do PE in sixth year when I could opt out of it, so I could go and do homework, in order to have time to go training in the evening. Some people like routine and going to school to learn, and much prefer to do their own exercise outside of school.

I don't believe so - not if there are that many students also sitting out of the class

You basically pointed out why people get bullied?

Thats where teasing etc and constant knawing of self esteem can lead. I don't like the quotation marks around bullying either

Yes everyone does. Whether its to people who smoke or those who play PE,etc everyone gets mocked/ teased.

The others are sitting out in the gym in their uniforms, not participating either. She is doing something constructive out of it. I don't care about the difficult things you have done, it is obvious that this teacher is conducting themselves professionally.
    Most of the students would not ignore up the 'devil'.(devil=metaphor for a really strict person)

Once again, you are assuming that the person in question does not do any outside activities. I for one, didn't do PE in sixth year when I could opt out of it, so I could go and do homework, in order to have time to go training in the evening. Some people like routine and going to school to learn, and much prefer to do their own exercise outside of school.
    And you are assuming they are.

I don't believe so - not if there are that many students also sitting out of the class
    It is obvious that most students would not ignore a strict teacher
    Which you are saying the opposite

Yes I did.Something wrong?

Thats where teasing etc and constant knawing of self esteem can lead. I don't like the quotation marks around bullying either
    Yeah and walking on the road can lead to death. Their point is totally off the wall and useless.
    Also there were no quotation marks around bullying that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ok, everyone take a chill pill.

There are points on both sides of the argument, but neither side is listening to the other at this stage ... everyone is just flailing around wildly and engaging in oneup(wo)manship. Enough!

If that continues, I will lock the thread. If you wish to discuss the issues in a mature and courteous fashion, by all means do so.

Yes everyone does. Whether its to people who smoke or those who play PE,etc everyone gets mocked/ teased.

Most of the students would not ignore up the 'devil'.(devil=metaphor for a really strict person)

And you are assuming they are.

It is obvious that most students would not ignore a strict teacher
    Which you are saying the opposite

Yes I did.Something wrong?

Yeah and walking on the road can lead to death. Their point is totally off the wall and useless.
    Also there were no quotation marks around bullying that I can see.

Why would you tease someone who smoke? They made a bad choice but why would someone bully them? Obviously your school is quite different to everyone elses!

Tony take a chill pill would ya. Stop stirring the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Why do you assume I'm talking about someone else? I experienced those things during PE. And I'm not the only one.
    For a lot of people PE is just a lesson in bullying and discrimination, and if someone doesn't want to take part in that then they should be allowed to make that decision without someone trying to belittle them for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Look we all have different opinions, I get that but some of the comments on others peoples stuff is really just pushing the boundaries of verbal attacking like! PE can be fun if you enjoy sport, but if you don't then you should be allowed to say why you don't like PE without being attacked! Look man, I get where your coming from, but we all have our own different views and tbh I think this is all getting sorta silly now. I mean were all mature Leaving Cert students, we should really learn to act that way :D

End of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

there is 30 mins P.E a week in our place...it is ridiculous though...not enough time to change clothes, you can hardly play football in your uniform like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

1. Bullying develops out of teasing

They're two different things. Banter at the lockers and bullying are two different things. One is people giving and taking crap. The other is someone (or some people) going out of their way to make life miserable for someone else.

Back on topic, we've one 40 minute class. 35 minutes by the time we trek down to the gym. It's last class on a Friday so everyone is wrecked and we don't do much.
    I would love to get out of PE next year. Just to get some homework or study out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Been doing my homework all year during P.E. but the inbred clown made me write out lines today so I'll have to do it in future.

We do next to nowt and with the cold, miserable weather these days it will be a nightmare.

I'm looking at your posts and could pick out holes and faults and argue against.
    But this topic has gone way off what it was originally for.

So anyway I think it is not right that students are not allowed to do PE in school, no matter what their age.
    It really does damage the health of the pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

So anyway I think it is not right that students are not allowed to do PE in school, no matter what their age.
    It really does damage the health of the pupils.

I dont get what you mean by "Not allowed", it simply isnt time tabled because the school puts something else in place of it. I also dont get where your sense of entitlement to periods (that could be spent learning) of PE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Firstly, this thread is so difficult to read, Mulit-Quote people, it's there for a reason.

We had PE up to fourth year, most people took part in it,
    the odd person would not do PE every now and then, some would just always skip it,
    if you weren't doing PE you were given physio sheets to copy out,

People who say that some students spent PE smoking,..do you mean for the entire length of PE they were constantly smoking, or that if you smoked you could get out of PE? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Fad wrote: »
    I dont get what you mean by "Not allowed", it simply isnt time tabled because the school puts something else in place of it. I also dont get where your sense of entitlement to periods (that could be spent learning) of PE.

If it's not time-tabled then surely that means it's not allowed?
    I know in my school people attempted to get PE on the time table for fifth and sixth, however no such luck was had, we were not allowed

metalfest wrote: »
    If it's not time-tabled then surely that means it's not allowed?
    I know in my school people attempted to get PE on the time table for fifth and sixth, however no such luck was had, we were not allowed

What? >_<

Not allowed implies some sort of rule against it, it's simply not being provided. You arent entitled to it either anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I also dont get where your sense of entitlement to periods (that could be spent learning) of PE.
    What? >_<

Not allowed implies some sort of rule against it, it's simply not being provided. You arent entitled to it either anyway.
    Em, Fad ... I'm not a secondary teacher, but I'm pretty sure it's Department policy that PE is provided for all students / to all years. I have a notion in the back of my head that 2 hours a week is recommended, but I'm open to correction on that.

Unfortunately, the Department doesn't police it, and because it's not an exam subject, schools often drop it in senior years.

Foolish, in my personal view ... while many young people will get their exercise away from school, and prefer that, many others will not take exercise unless they have to. Hence the growing levels of obesity among teenage populations in the western societies.

It also ignores what I personally would hold to be true ... that a reasonable amount of healthy exercise is an aid to study and hence to students' performance in class and in exams, not a waste of time which could otherwise be used studying.

I do agree with some posters on this thread that many schools could do with "upping their game" in terms of the standard / appropriateness / variety of PE they offer.

As to the bullying issue, it's a tangent tbh ... while I fully accept that PE can be used as an opportunity for verbal and indeed physical bullying of students if the school allows that to happen, the real issue there is the school's approach to dealing with bullying overall, not whether PE should be cancelled because it can provide an opportunity for bullying to happen. By that logic, all breaks / lunch periods should be cancelled too, as they can provide an even greater opportunity for bullying!

Em, Fad ... I'm not a secondary teacher, but I'm pretty sure it's Department policy that PE is provided for all students / to all years. I have a notion in the back of my head that 2 hours a week is recommended, but I'm open to correction on that.

I'm not sure either tbh, but I really doubt that many school are willing to go against department guidelines so blatantly.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure either tbh, but I really doubt that many school are willing to go against department guidelines so blatantly.

The Dept recommendations are two hours per week per student. These are not being meet, and it is outlined in any school report, be it a subject report or whole school evaluation. It is by far the most mentioned thing in any school report!!! I was at a thing where members of the inspectorate for PE spoke, and they mentioned that principals are not wanting to put it on the timetable, especially for senior cycle. 88% of principals support compulsary PE for junior cycle, yet that percentage drops to 53% for senior cycle. Its a fact that I've repeated over and over again.

There is a senior cycle curriculum on the way, and maybe that will help when it comes to senior cycle PE.

Because it is not an exam subject, it is treated as a second tier subject IMO. More and more subjects are becoming examinable, such as religion, that IMO PE will soon follow, if only to keep it to the forefront of subject planning and timetabling. The teaching of PE needs to change away from games on their own, and integrated skills of games, which can increase confidence in a number of sports rather than one.

Advertisement