Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here who's school doesn't do PE?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

In PE I was frequently mocked over my inability to play sport/catch things/throw things/run quickly.

No teacher would ever mock a student for not being able to do something in maths,or English or any other subject. Getting a sarcastic round of applause after doing a GAA solo correctly for the first time wasn't great fun. Being humiliated in front of everyone on a weekly basis wasn't a nice experience.

Just my two cents :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

In PE I was frequently mocked over my inability to play sport/catch things/throw things/run quickly.

No teacher would ever mock a student for not being able to do something in maths,or English or any other subject. Getting a sarcastic round of applause after doing a GAA solo correctly for the first time wasn't great fun. Being humiliated in front of everyone on a weekly basis wasn't a nice experience.

Just my two cents :)

Was that the students??

There is no way that the teacher should ever do it, we're told to encourage students, and in absolute no way ridicule them. If it was students, the teacher should have stopped in if they saw it!

that sort of thing is a form of bullying - and should no way be tolerated - and it is something that puts students off PE. Its up to the teacher to sort it and not have any of it in the class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Was that the students??

There is no way that the teacher should ever do it, we're told to encourage students, and in absolute no way ridicule them. If it was students, the teacher should have stopped in if they saw it!

that sort of thing is a form of bullying - and should no way be tolerated - and it is something that puts students off PE. Its up to the teacher to sort it and not have any of it in the class!

No,it was the teacher :| Naturally it did put me off PE quite a lot,but yeah,that was my experience. Glad it's over in that respect,definitely. Although I do miss the craic with the girls,it was fun at times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dsct92

Our school only did "sport science" for us in TY, otherwise never had a PE class in secondary school!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

in my secondary school we only did PE until junior cert and then it stopped for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fad wrote: »
    I'm not sure either tbh, but I really doubt that many school are willing to go against department guidelines so blatantly.
    When there is a very long history of getting away with it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

In my school if you do higher level maths, your'e not allowed to do PE. I've done ordinary maths since junior cert, so that was grand. Over the years people have given petitions to change it to principle but to no avail.
    So the H maths people have maths class, gazing poignantly (the sports people at least) at us waddling about outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

in my school, once we get to sixth year, PE becomes optional, we dont get a study class or anything, we just get told to **** off home an hour early on a thursday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

We only did PE up untill the JC and even then we were doing badminton and volleyball so it was barely exercise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

pe in my school was ****e up until JC...then in fifth year it was very organised an we did lots of different stuff each week...now in 6th year we get no PE but we do have an excellent religion programme...one of the only schools in the country to do one i believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Its compulsary up to 3rd yr, in TY go to gym/swimming, in 5th year only 30 get to do it, no leaving cert classes have it. I HATED every PE class I have ever done, except TY

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Its compulsary up to 3rd yr, in TY go to gym/swimming, in 5th year only 30 get to do it, no leaving cert classes have it. I HATED every PE class I have ever done, except TY

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jamser89

Patrician College Ballyfin:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

jesus!tony wrote: »
    In 6th year and PE has been taken off us this year.
    It was taken off us because some people weren't doing it, but that is just an excuse and a really crap one at that.
    Everyone goes up at lunch to the shops and eat fast food and sweets, and I thought the schools were battling with the obesity problem... seems not.
    I thought it was illegal to do this?

This IS my school. exact same thing happens, down to a tee. You're not from kerry by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

Surprise surprise I am!
    Howz mathew? you b*****ks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Thanks for clearing that up. That explains it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

Thanks for clearing that up. That explains it!
    Thanks for the sarcasm.
    Thats +1 to your post count now. Too bad they are all like above:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

JohnnyGiles and jesus!tony - quit squabbling and dragging the thread off topic unless you want infractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

jesus!tony wrote: »
    Surprise surprise I am!

Howz mathew? you b*****ks

haha! what are the odds! i never would have thought you'd be on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Why?

The classes were centred around those who were good at soccer or sport in general, those who could run fast and are sporty and agile. I'm none of those.

(Before anyone says I'm lazy or some such I work out at the gym daily :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

We had the choice last year, and the study class was great. It really helped get some homework out of the way and lightened the stress-load as I'm involved in a youth project for 2 hours every Wednesday (The same day as PE). However, this year is a different story. The guy supervising PE (same guy as last year) has suddenly gone on a power trip and forces people outside to do PE. We went to the Principal about it, and he said it was all sorted out. Next week, we were told that we need a note from our parents to say we're allowed stay in and study....
    Our solution? "Debs Committee" meeting every Wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Students everywhere in the country should be made do P.E . The only schools that i have heard of that don't part take in P.E are those private schools that think it's a waste of time. I'll tell you something, it doesn't do them any favors later. Suppose everybody who attends such schools will automatically be rich when here older :rolleyes:...(yea right)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

In my school, those people not taking LCVP all have to do PE. I don't mind PE, except it's too cold and the PE Hall in my school is shocking. I don't have many clothes suitable for sports either.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Same in my school.
    Also I go to a pay-feeing school and ALL students have to do P.E Unless they do LCVP or Applied maths which is run at that time. That's the Only exception to it.
    They certainly do Not take it as a waste of time.
    And god I hated P.E with a passion -.- I don't see it as a waste of time, but not everyone likes sports goddamnit! School's don't force everyone else to participate in anything creative yet sports? Not a bother. Think it should be optional really.

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    Same in my school.
    Also I go to a pay-feeing school and ALL students have to do P.E Unless they do LCVP or Applied maths which is run at that time. That's the Only exception to it.
    They certainly do Not take it as a waste of time.
    And god I hated P.E with a passion -.- I don't see it as a waste of time, but not everyone likes sports goddamnit! School's don't force everyone else to participate in anything creative yet sports? Not a bother. Think it should be optional really.

See the thing is that teachers need to get away from the traditional playing of games - the Junior Cycle syllabus is so multi faceted, take one poster who said they didn't like PE, but would go to the gym - there is a whole topic dedicated to that, called Health related fitness.

Students aren't getting the required hour a day, or 30 mins of moderate intense exercise for older students - obesity is a huge epidemic, and in my opinion, the senior cycle syllabus due needs to tackle this problem head on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Our PE usually involved being put in teams using the 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 etc. method, being thrown a basketball, and the PE teacher leaving us unsupervised because she had more important things to be doing. A joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Obesity starts in primary school too. How many of you had a proper playground in yours? Mine had three things : concrete, tarmac and gravel. One pitch that couldn't be used for the entire duration of winter which essentially 3/4 of the year. Then trying to tackle it by bringing in this silly healthy eating policy which no kid likes. Sure noone wants a kid bringing in Just sugar-filled food but surely a piece of chocolate isn't going to make you blow up like a balloon.
    But honestly, for me P.E. was just an 80 minutes of torment - I'm useless at games, can't run, hate wearing shorts and whatnot, feeling horribly paranoid about what I looked like etc. Surely encouraging this when you have hormones raging isn't the best idea. And we did have the whole fitness thing - circuits etc. Doesn't make a difference. I'd just feel exhausted and unable to concentrate for the rest of the day.
    In my own opinion, in senior level i.e 5th and 6th year, you should be focusing on points and courses rather than going from a size 10 to an 8. If you want to loose weight, change diets, go for a jog. Noone's going to be there when it comes to uni to make you do the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Turkey191

Rebel girl 15, you obviously have strong feelings about physical education. It is one of the options i am looking into studying next year after the LC. I'm just wondering where you studied it and if you would recommend the course. I know there aren't much jobs available in that field at the moment which is forcing it further down on my CAO but i cannot decide which course i should put first, the one in Cork or the one in Limerick. Any help provided would be appreciated.

Advertisement