Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest an epic game

Options
  • 29-11-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Heya!

So im sick of FPS - been playing quake solid for a year now, and counterstrike owes me at least 5 years,

Im looking for anything thats just interesting to play, Doesnt have to be online/multi player.

Gona get L4D2 soon but I know thats gona be awesome anyway :)

So suggest something for me in the mean time please

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Heya!

So im sick of FPS - been playing quake solid for a year now, and counterstrike owes me at least 5 years,

Im looking for anything thats just interesting to play, Doesnt have to be online/multi player.

If you're after something with a story and not an FPS, there's Dragon Age: Origins just out. Plenty of talk and reviews about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Nethack.
    Interesting, super difficult (I've never won, or come close)
    Different classes/races, generally each with their own style of play (As a Barbarian/Valkyrie it's fine to just run up and kill 90% of things, and they're generally considered the easiest to win with for this reason, try that with a tourist or healer and you're ****ed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Metal Gear Solid franchise or the Silent Hill franchise. Start from number 1 on each and work your way up. You won't be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

Spear wrote: »
    If you're after something with a story and not an FPS, there's Dragon Age: Origins just out. Plenty of talk and reviews about.

If you are into action games like FPSs forget about Dragon Age. Its just one big interactive cutscene where you spend 90% of your time, literally, looking at a cutscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Metal Gear Solid franchise or the Silent Hill franchise. Start from number 1 on each and work your way up. You won't be disappointed.

* This is not a guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

bSlick wrote: »
    If you are into action games like FPSs forget about Dragon Age. Its just one big interactive cutscene where you spend 90% of your time, literally, looking at a cutscene.

Agreed, bored me to tears, uninstalled it v quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Dragon Age looks pretty interesting, Im trying to stay away from FPS :) Iv played silent hill for the PS1 which is one of my all time favourite games to date, I never played a sequill incase it ruined my love for the game. Should i start on number 2 :) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Heya!

Mass Effect. It can be picked up cheaply enough too. You'll thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Fnz wrote: »
    * This is not a guarantee.
    Especially if your a casual gamer.

If you like story-line based stealthy action games then Metal Gear solid is single handedly the best.
    From 1 to 4 and the PSP game is pretty good too.

Its definitley one of the best game series there have been, Sure some may not like it but the majority adore the game.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

If your looking for a multi player game with plenty of depth than I recommend Street Fighter 4, don't bother with it if you looking for a story or want to play single player much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've just started playing Morrowind which was the precursor to Oblivion in the Elder Scrolls series. It runs ok on my Netbook and so it keeping me amused on my holidays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Fallout 2.

Gog.com sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Azza wrote: »
    If your looking for a multi player game with plenty of depth than I recommend Street Fighter 4

Agreed. Been playing it for months and I still haven't figured out, let alone mastered, everything there is to know about the 1 character I'm working on. Then there's every other character in the game, the varying playstyles each person will bring to that character, the huge amount of match up specific knowledge you need to learn.... etc

As an aside, you could try some indie games which are interesting to play, like "World of Goo", "Crayon Physics" and "Braid". All astounding and well worth whatever you pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Silent hill two and three are the best in the series, two the better by far. Just playing through origins and three, as good as ever.

Dragon Age looks pretty interesting, Im trying to stay away from FPS :)

If you really want an rpg type game go with wow, its the most epic game of them all too. No cut scenes, a huge, living, constantly evolving world, highly addictive and very polished overall as is typical of Blizzard. Seriously after playing wow, stuff like dragon age and oblivian seems so dead and bland. The only problem is it's so addictive, and thats why I stopped playing it about a year and a half ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Get a PS3 and both uncharted games.
    Outside of the RPG genre, they're the closest you'll get to truely epic scale imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

some of the games you should try out

Oblivion
    Fallout 3
    Vampire the masquerade:Bloodlines
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - this combines FPS and RPG :)
    Homeworld
    Supreme Commander
    Knights of the old republic
    Mass Effect
    StarCraft
    any of the Total War series

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

superfly wrote: »
    some of the games you should try out

Knights of the old republic

+1. Picked this up for 2.20 in the Steam sale, gotta say I'm loving it so far!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Trackmania.

its fast, its fun, its FREE. its addictive, its challenging, its difficult. its changeable, its community driven, its probably one of the best racing games out there.

http://www.trackmania.com/index.php?rub=nations

RopeDrink wrote: »
    WoW (And MMORPG's in general) are all fine until you've played them long enough to detest the boring grind they become.

I agree the grind gets boring eventually, but that is after dozens if not over 100 or 150 hundred days worth of game played (and I mean actual days as in 24 hours, not 1-2 hours per day over 100 days). Whereas with Dragon Age, alot of people had it completed in a few days of a few hours play each day.
    WoW especially has been so watered down over the year that I've gone from being an avid 5 year addict to 100% hating it in a very quick space of time.
    You yourself, like many others, were addicted for several years, thats how good the game is. It is imo the best game ever, the amount of time people spend on wow before quitting is far far more than any other game. I too got sick of it in the end too, but I have to give credit where its due, Blizzard did an amazing job on it.
    For someone trying to transition from FPS into other games I'd suggest RPG's, not so much MMORPG's, at least to get to grips with them and see if that type of game genre suits.
    Have to disagree here. You don't need to play an rpg to see if you like an mmorpg. I had only played one before playing wow and didn't really like it. I tried a couple after finishing with wow and they were so dull and boring with all the long drawn out cutscenes and worlds devoid of human players. They just felt lifeless in comparison to wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Trackmania.

its fast, its fun, its FREE. its addictive, its challenging, its difficult. its changeable, its community driven, its probably one of the best racing games out there.

http://www.trackmania.com/index.php?rub=nations

Fan boy !:rolleyes:

oh forgot to add

Burnout Paradise. lol... just lol

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

im not a fanboy. ban tyrant please :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frecklz

I would recommend Assassin's Creed. The second one is a huge game with lots to do and find. Haven't even played the first one, but I will when I'm finished 2. Uncharted also great! As is Batman Arkham Asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Civilization 4.

No time for other games once you start on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Epic gaming experience?

For me it would definitely be the metroid prime games, particularly the 1st one. All 3 of the games are available on the Metroid Prime Trilogy game for the Wii now.

The 2 gamecube games stand up quite well and now include the better control scheme.

The feeling of isolation and epicness of the first one is yet to be rivalled.

Plus they are pretty close to a FPS so if you like that you'll feel right at home.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fallout 3
    world in conflict
    stalker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

frecklz wrote: »
    I would recommend Assassin's Creed. The second one is a huge game with lots to do and find. Haven't even played the first one, but I will when I'm finished 2. Uncharted also great! As is Batman Arkham Asylum.

you'll be bitterly disapointed playing AC2 first :(

Would anyone throw the Zelda games in here as epic games?

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are all time favourites of mine..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 frecklz

Wossack wrote: »
    you'll be bitterly disapointed playing AC2 first :(

Really? Cos it's way better? I heard that AC3 will be set in the future. Big mistake in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Thief 2. (Possibly the funniest game you'll ever play.. you TAFFER!)

Frontier Elite 2 + 3 with Open-GL mods (get your self a small interceptor class ship and start makin a name for yourself) http://jaj22.org.uk/jjffe/

Morrowind Game of the Year.(you better put aside a year or two for this one, Epic is too mild a word)

They just don't make them like they used to.

Advertisement