Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokeless coal

Options
  • 29-11-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get the cheapest bag of smokeless coal in either Limerick city or Co. I'm buying my sister a few bags for xmas [thank you Mr. Cowen] and I want to get as many as I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Try walters fuels at watch-house cross near moyross they offer discounts for ppl who collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

steveon wrote: »
    Try walters fuels at watch-house cross near moyross they offer discounts for ppl who collect.

Okay thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Whats the story with the Smokeless Fuel Laws ?
    Is there some Law which states you need to be a certain
    distance form the City to burn ordinary coal ?

I'm living outside the city in the suberbs and some places wont see me ordinary Coal. They will only sell smokeless. even though I will burn Turf and wood without issue.
    As I've mentioned before here on boards, One year
    I was actually asked for bloody well ID!!!! to buy a simple
    bag of coal!!!

The Smokeless coal is pure Shi11te! If I use smokeless coal my grate in my fireplace gets burnt out over the winter, and it means I have to change my grate every year.
    It burns way too fast and furious and has what looks like plastic coal pieces mixed in with a more fiber like coal bits.

Also the smokeless coal Sparks more!! it means normally
    I could have the fire guard not infront of the fire, but
    after using smokless fuel, I've found constant sparks come
    out of the fire. I need to put the fire guard up permantly
    so not getting the benifit and comfort of the full heat of an open fire.

On more than one occasion a spark has nearly hit my eye
    and hit the cheek on my face, its hit one of my pet cats more than once burning his fur,
    I've had carpet matts, get hit with a spark and burn right through, and have had my wooden floor scorched without knowing until I got the smell of burn. Sparks have hit my girlfriends cloths
    while sitting close by, This is all with the Fireguard actually UP and in Front of the fire.

With Normal Coal I dont see any of these issues, it burns (maybe not hotter) longer,
    you use less, it does not spark as much, and is safer for all concerned.
    During winter I dont see a big smog cloud over where I live so its not like
    theres is some pollution severe problem.

~B

Thanks for the replies, I managed to find somewhere that sells them for 14E a bag and I got 3 bales of Briquettes for a tenner as well so I don't think I did too bad.

• Advertisement

bullets wrote: »
    Whats the story with the Smokeless Fuel Laws ?
    Is there some Law which states you need to be a certain
    distance form the City to burn ordinary coal ?

I'm living outside the city in the suberbs and some places wont see me ordinary Coal. They will only sell smokeless. even though I will burn Turf and wood without issue.
    As I've mentioned before here on boards, One year
    I was actually asked for bloody well ID!!!! to buy a simple
    bag of coal!!!

The Smokeless coal is pure Shi11te! If I use smokeless coal my grate in my fireplace gets burnt out over the winter, and it means I have to change my grate every year.
    It burns way too fast and furious and has what looks like plastic coal pieces mixed in with a more fiber like coal bits.

Also the smokeless coal Sparks more!! it means normally
    I could have the fire guard not infront of the fire, but
    after using smokless fuel, I've found constant sparks come
    out of the fire. I need to put the fire guard up permantly
    so not getting the benifit and comfort of the full heat of an open fire.

On more than one occasion a spark has nearly hit my eye
    and hit the cheek on my face, its hit one of my pet cats more than once burning his fur,
    I've had carpet matts, get hit with a spark and burn right through, and have had my wooden floor scorched without knowing until I got the smell of burn. Sparks have hit my girlfriends cloths
    while sitting close by, This is all with the Fireguard actually UP and in Front of the fire.

With Normal Coal I dont see any of these issues, it burns (maybe not hotter) longer,
    you use less, it does not spark as much, and is safer for all concerned.
    During winter I dont see a big smog cloud over where I live so its not like
    theres is some pollution severe problem.

~B

I wouldn't use it personally but they have a stove and apparently it's best to use smokeless in that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement