Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning of minarets in Switzerland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I can't help but feel that the wording of the referendum was wrong. Since there are only four(?) minarets in Switzerland, it seems a little odd to force a referendum on the issue. Perhaps they could have been more direct and asked the question, "Should we, as a nation, stick a collective 'two fingers' up at a minority group, in order to 'put them in their place'?"

Perhaps minarets are aesthetically 'out of place' in a country like Switzerland... but then, so are McDonald's restaurants. And apparently they have over 100 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

prinz wrote: »
    Ye what now? No the answer I was going for was the man's colleagues on the same floor should call him out on his behaviour if they don't want to be associated with it, instead they condone, excuse, and support it. Leading to further problems for all involved.

That may have been the answer you were looking for. The answer I gave was analagous to the one the Swiss have taken. If there's a problem with Islam, or with Muslims, or with immigrants from certain nations who tend to be Muslim, or anything like that....banning minarets is indeed a "ye what now?" approach to the problem.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My point is that those people on this thread saying "Well Islam is a Middle Eastern religion and Christianity is historically Europes religion" are missing the point that Christianity is a Middle Eastern religion.

Additionally, if like me you dont subscribe to EITHER faith, its quite frustrating to see your country painted as being "catholic" and that being used as justification for bias in the system (ie: Minarets banned while spires remain etc).

I agree that whats sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander...

DeV.

Nodin wrote: »
    If my previous assertion is correct it may be a one off.

Well, DRS (Swiss national radio) just ran a news article suggesting that its far from a one-off. For anyone who reads German (or can use google language tools et al) : http://www.drs.ch/www/de/drs/nachrichten/155807.cvp-und-fdp-fordern-eine-wertediskussion.html

Short version...the CVP and FDP are now making noises about looking at issues like not permitting Muslims and Jews have any more graveyards, a burka-ban, a head-scarf ban, the consideration of religious issues when it comes to things like swim-class in school...

...but hey...its all good, because Saudia Arabia and Iran are still worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

bonkey wrote: »
    That may have been the answer you were looking for. The answer I gave was analagous to the one the Swiss have taken. If there's a problem with Islam, or with Muslims, or with immigrants from certain nations who tend to be Muslim, or anything like that....banning minarets is indeed a "ye what now?" approach to the problem.

Yes indeed. However I fail to see any other 'law' which could have been passed. It's more of a statement I see it as. Think about it, it doesn't affect freedom of religion, it doesn't affect freedom to practice that religion, it has no real effect whatsoever, other than as a headline grabbing statement, which brings the issue to the forefront of Swiss politics ( I am guessing, perhaps it's forgotten about already ).

This is why I asked when it could be overturned because I wouldn't be suprised if it was over turned again. The whole thing strikes me as a protest vote ( like Le Pen in France a few years ago ). I feel ban will be overturned and Swiss Muslims and non will work together better in future to ensure no such votes are needed again. Seems more like a metaphorical shot-across-the-bow warning the communities not to segregate themselves from each other and instead to come to an agreement on things, which brings me back to the problem of moderate and progressive Muslims staying in the background far too much and not making themselves heard as well as the fringe elements, and certainly not speaking out against them loudly enough.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    Additionally, if like me you dont subscribe to EITHER faith, its quite frustrating to see your country painted as being "catholic" and that being used as justification for bias in the system (ie: Minarets banned while spires remain etc).

Given that Switzerland is roughly 80% Christian I don't see your point. Interesting that you should claim it is now painted as "Catholic" though. Sounds to me like you may have some bias there of your own, you could just as easily claim it has been painted "protestant".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, my point seems to be missed somewhat. My point is that society in general - the proletariat, though I hate to use that word - has a negative view of Islam, which is just going to vanish into thin air and which the government is not required nor bothered to address.
    djpbarry wrote: »
    I’m not sure I’d agree with that either – opinion on this thread seems to be relatively balanced.
    Politics is not indicative of society at large in these kinds of discussions.
    No, it’s not. It’s my responsibility to educate myself. If I’ve got a warped, twisted, Daily-Mail-esque view of the world, then that’s my problem.
    On a societal level, you can't leave such things up to the public in general though. You can't ignore the Daily Mail readers because there's enough of them around to vote on referendums to curtails people's rights purely on the basis of fear and nothing else.

So this is Islam's problem and it needs to deal with it. It can't hope that people will get sense and it can't pretend that the problem doesn't exist. Because it does, and it has to be addressed or non-Muslim countries all over the world will take an increasingly anti-Muslim stance.
    At the office Christmas party, a male colleague who happens to work on the same floor as you sexually harasses a female co-worker. The entire office building subsequently assumes that everyone who works on your floor is a misogynistic, borderline rapist. Is it your responsibility to demonstrate that you do not fit this description, or is it the case that everyone in the office who holds such an opinion is an idiot?
    That is a better analogy. What happens if everyone else in the building happens to be management and my entire floor is thus left out of everything because they think we're scum. Everyone else in the building might be idiots, but that doesn't mean I can ignore the fact that they hold that opinion.

.... the consideration of religious issues when it comes to things like swim-class in school....

Just on this one, quick question - would you agree that creationism should be taught in schools out of consideration for creationists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Just read this excellent article which would be actually pretty much spot on to my own opinion on the matter, written by an Imam and Muslim scholar..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6938161.ece

This guy is NOT a Muslim scholar. He is basically a renegade who teaches his own version of Islam which disagrees with the teachings of the mainstream respected scholars.

Even allowing for that he says the ban is xenophobic. Do u agree?

Just on this one, quick question - would you agree that creationism should be taught in schools out of consideration for creationists?

I'm not sure how this question is "on this one". I'm not aware that creationists have a religious objection to not being taught creationism.
    There is a distinction between "something I would like to have, because of my religion", and "something I am required to do, which is in violation of my religious principles". Its not even against Creationist principles to be taught evolution...although they may find it distasteful.

Imagine, if you will, a home economics class where vegetarians were required to cook and eat meat dishes, or Jews and Muslims were required to cook and eat pork dishes, etc. That would be, perhaps, a better comparison. Would I support such a class being compulsory? No, I wouldn't.

• Advertisement

Yes indeed. However I fail to see any other 'law' which could have been passed.
    I would argue that no law should have been passed.

If you have to make a discriminatory law, its a tacit admission that a non-discriminatory law wouldn't be able to achieve your goals. In short...its an admission of bias.

Imagine, if you will, if I and my fellow Politics mods were to decide that people were banned from criticising one particular political party...but that the others were fair game. When confronted on this, we defended our position on the basis that the people criticising that party were also doing something else we didn't like, but which wasn't against the rules, and we wanted to send a signal to them to stop.

Do you honestly believe that would be accepted as a fair and reasonable thing for us to do?
    It's more of a statement I see it as. Think about it, it doesn't affect freedom of religion, it doesn't affect freedom to practice that religion, it has no real effect whatsoever, other than as a headline grabbing statement, which brings the issue to the forefront of Swiss politics ( I am guessing, perhaps it's forgotten about already ).
    No...its not forgotten. As I posted earlier...the supporters of this are now riding on their wave, and talking about trying for all sorts of other bans...which sort of scuppers the idea that it was all just "sending a message".
    This is why I asked when it could be overturned because I wouldn't be suprised if it was over turned again. The whole thing strikes me as a protest vote ( like Le Pen in France a few years ago ). I feel ban will be overturned and Swiss Muslims and non will work together better in future to ensure no such votes are needed again.
    It might, somehow, be reversed when the Swiss realise that it has cost them something and gained them nothing.

This guy is NOT a Muslim scholar. He is basically a renegade who teaches his own version of Islam which disagrees with the teachings of the mainstream respected scholars...

..and here we go again... he is an Imam yes? He does head a Muslim Educational Centre?
    I'm not sure how this question is "on this one". I'm not aware that creationists have a religious objection to not being taught creationism.
    There is a distinction between "something I would like to have, because of my religion", and "something I am required to do, which is in violation of my religious principles". Its not even against Creationist principles to be taught evolution...although they may find it distasteful.

So someone who by virtue of their religious beliefs is a creationist, they should have to study evolution and in order to pass exams etc lie about what they truly believe? If creationists can do something they find distasteful why can the same not be applied to Muslims? There is no rule I am aware of forbidding Muslims from swimming :confused: Refusing to swim is not something Muslims "have to do", neither is it a violation of Muslim religious principles to swim.

..and here we go again... he is an Imam yes? He does head a Muslim Educational Centre?

sinead o'connor was a priest also.

The education centre he heads is one he set up himself. It is meaningless. You or I could set up a "Muslim education centre" like his.

Anyway as I said he teaches against accepted mainstream Islamic teaching so you can't pretend he is some kind of Muslim spokesperson.

You never answered if you agree with him that the ban is xenophobic.

The education centre he heads is one he set up himself. It is meaningless. You or I could set up a "Muslim education centre" like his.

Any back up for this?
    Anyway as I said he teaches against accepted mainstream Islamic teaching so you can't pretend he is some kind of Muslim spokesperson.

Could you name a few people preferably English speaking who are mainstream then? Just for interest so I could check them out and see whaty they have to say.
    You never answered if you agree with him that the ban is xenophobic.

No I don't.

So someone who by virtue of their religious beliefs is a creationist, they should have to study evolution and in order to pass exams etc lie about what they truly believe?
    Without wanting to turn this into a debate on creationism, you're being disingenuous. To pass an exam in a scientific field, you have to show you understand what that science says. You do not, ever, have to state that you believe it to be true. This, it is enturely misleading to suggest that a creationist has to lie about their beliefs in order to learn science or pass a science exam.
    If creationists can do something they find distasteful why can the same not be applied to Muslims?
    If Muslims were only being asked to do something distasteful, I'd agree with you. They're not, however. They're being asked to do something against the principles of their religion.
    There is no rule I am aware of forbidding Muslims from swimming :confused: Refusing to swim is not something Muslims "have to do", neither is it a violation of Muslim religious principles to swim.
    Might I suggest you actually find out what the objection Muslims are making regarding to swimming is before trying to argue that there's no religious issue.

This, it is enturely misleading to suggest that a creationist has to lie about their beliefs in order to learn science or pass a science exam.

Question 1, write an essay on the origins of the world. If it was a religion exam and Muslim students had to write about Jesus as the son of God I am sure you'd have a different view.
    If Muslims were only being asked to do something distasteful, I'd agree with you. They're not, however. They're being asked to do something against the principles of their religion.

Swimming isn't against the principles of Islam. Evolution is against the principles of creationism.
    Might I suggest you actually find out what the objection Muslims are making regarding to swimming is before trying to argue that there's no religious issue.

Seeing as how there is no issue between Islam and swimming I don't think it's a huge leap to suggest it's appropriate swimwear? Swimwear which can be obtained? If it is then I would say it is something which may be considered distasteful. It's not an issue with Islam and the act of swimming.

Any back up for this?

Could you name a few people preferably English speaking who are mainstream then? Just for interest so I could check them out and see whaty they have to say.

No I don't.
    I am not going to waste anymore time on you. You can google his name just as I did. I posted my information for the benefit of others on this forum whom you are misleading.

I am not going to waste anymore time on you. You can google his name just as I did. I posted my information for the benefit of others on this forum whom you are misleading.

OK I googled his name. 5 pages of results and I don't see anything to back up your claim, except a libel case against a Muslim paper which called him a heretic which he won.

So here I am in good faith asking you to name some people I should be listening to, and you won't.:rolleyes: Is it any wonder people get the wrong impressions then.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No I don't.
    I'm curious why you agree with so much he says, but not with this?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm curious why you agree with so much he says, but not with this?

Because I don't see it as "fear or hatred of strangers or foreigners, or anything that is strange or foreign", I don't believe fear or hatred lies in the hearts of so many Swiss.

• Advertisement

Because I don't see it as "fear or hatred of strangers or foreigners, or anything that is strange or foreign", I don't believe fear or hatred lies in the hearts of so many Swiss.
    So you believe that the vote to ban minarets is firmly rooted in logic and reason? That there's a perfectly valid reason why the building of the Muslim equivalent of a church steeple must be prevented at all costs?

So you believe that the vote to ban minarets is firmly rooted in logic and reason? That there's a perfectly valid reason why the building of the Muslim equivalent of a church steeple must be prevented at all costs?

The two above are completely separate and different viewpoints. Do I believe it to be a reasonable and logical political statement to make, yes I do. Is that to say that everyone/every party who supported it are logical and reasonable, no.

Is this about preventing minarets at all costs? No, I don't think it is. Like I said, political statement and making a stand. Even if the law gets over-turned and I think it probably would be ( and rightly so if they get a majority ) then the statement made and intent remains. It seems to me like a test case which sets the boundaries so to speak.

Do I believe it to be a reasonable and logical political statement to make, yes I do.
    Why? What is it about minarets qua minarets that is so objectionable that they must be prevented by the blunt instrument of a constitutional prohibition?
    Is this about preventing minarets at all costs? No, I don't think it is. Like I said, political statement and making a stand.
    What is the political statement? What stand needed to be taken?

If it's not about minarets, why was the referendum about minarets?

Why? What is it about minarets qua minarets that is so objectionable that they must be prevented by the blunt instrument of a constitutional prohibition?

Minarets are easily identifiable, and a ban on them is the least troublesome for all concerned.
    What is the political statement? What stand needed to be taken?

I do believe it is an example of a very proud, content people reaffirming their national psyche. They didn't ban immigrants, they didn't ban Islam, they didn't have mobs on the streets burning down mosques. Basically seems to me they laid down the marker that they are not going to go out of their way to accommodate any one group more than anyone else. So ban gets over turned, but the message will remain. Switzerland is not going to stand for any Abu Hamza style BS. Ban comes in, no difference to the status quo - ban gets over turned or whatever. Everybody knows where they stand.
    If it's not about minarets, why was the referendum about minarets?

They are not required in a mosque, they are not required by Islam therefore a ban on them has about the least actual affect or impact, basically none. On the other hand it is easy to police such a ban.

It's funny to think that people bemoan any comparisons between say Switzerland and Saudi Arabia being drawn, when the crux of the issue is an Arabian architectural feature which isn't needed in a mosque at all. The whole 'we should be better than that' is a bit odd, considering they want to replicate Arabian features elsewhere. Maybe the design of mosque should also be "better than that". If you want a clean break from that style of Islam, then make it a proper clean break.

Minarets are easily identifiable, and a ban on them is the least troublesome for all concerned.
    All, of course, except the people who would like to have minarets on their places of worship. But it's not important what they think, is it?
    I do believe it is an example of a very proud, content people reaffirming their national psyche.
    What sort of national psyche is so fragile that it has to be reaffirmed by preventing people from architecturally expressing their faith?
    They didn't ban immigrants, they didn't ban Islam, they didn't have mobs on the streets burning down mosques.
    Again, this is our standard we're setting ourselves? "It's OK, we're not torching any mosques"?
    Basically seems to me they laid down the marker that they are not going to go out of their way to accommodate any one group more than anyone else.
    No, they are simply going out of their way to discommode one group more than anyone else. But that's OK, right?
    So ban gets over turned, but the message will remain. Switzerland is not going to stand for any Abu Hamza style BS. Ban comes in, no difference to the status quo...
    No difference to the status quo, as long as you didn't want a minaret on your place of worship. But it's only Muslims who want that, and who cares about them, right?
    They are not required in a mosque, they are not required by Islam therefore a ban on them has about the least actual affect or impact, basically none. On the other hand it is easy to police such a ban.
    Your entire argument is predicated on the assumption that somehow there's a moral imperative to send some sort of message to Muslims, and that this referendum was somehow a Good Thing because it didn't involve any, y'know, violence or anything.

Some of us remain to be convinced that there's a need to send that message in the first place.

But it's not important what they think, is it?

Where did I say that?
    What sort of national psyche is so fragile that it has to be reaffirmed by preventing people from architecturally expressing their faith?

What sort of faith is so fragile that it needs to be architecturally expressed using a surplus to requirement Arabian minaret, despite the fact that most of the Muslims in Switzerland are of Balkan origin...:confused:...
    Again, this is our standard we're setting ourselves? "It's OK, we're not torching any mosques"? No, they are simply going out of their way to discommode one group more than anyone else. But that's OK, right?

Nope. No more discommodation than was already exercised it seems. Were there any threads here about the difficulty in getting planning permission for them before this referendum came up?
    No difference to the status quo, as long as you didn't want a minaret on your place of worship.

Forgive me if I am wrong but it seemed to me like most applications for minarets were being dismissed anyway? So yeah, no major change in the status quo.
    But it's only Muslims who want that, and who cares about them, right?

Eh no, wrong, please don't put words in my mouth.
    Your entire argument is predicated on the assumption that somehow there's a moral imperative to send some sort of message to Muslims, and that this referendum was somehow a Good Thing because it didn't involve any, y'know, violence or anything.

Well yeah, violence is a fairly common occurence between various groups and minorities in other countries around Europe. England..Germany....France.... or would you rather see it get to that point first and then try to do something about it? As regards a message, yes I do believe there to be a such an imperative. If only to discourage fundamentalists from making their way to Switzerland to spread hatred etc safe in the knowledge that the people or government aren't likely to do a thing to stop them.
    Some of us remain to be convinced that there's a need to send that message in the first place.

And some of us don't.

Where did I say that?
    Maybe I've completely misread you, but you don't seem to be oozing concern for the views of Swiss muslims.
    What sort of faith is so fragile that it needs to be architecturally expressed using a surplus to requirement Arabian minaret, despite the fact that most of the Muslims in Switzerland are of Balkan origin...:confused:...
    Why is it OK to express that sort of value judgement against one, and only one, religion? Why are you happy to see a ban on minarets, but not on church steeples?
    Nope. No more discommodation than was already exercised it seems. Were there any threads here about the difficulty in getting planning permission for them before this referendum came up?

[...]

Forgive me if I am wrong but it seemed to me like most applications for minarets were being dismissed anyway? So yeah, no major change in the status quo.
    So what exactly was the referendum required for?

It's clear that it was, as you say, a shot across the bow. Unlike you, I don't accept that that's where it ends. What is the purpose of a shot across the bow? To make it clear that the next shot can and will be on target.
    Eh no, wrong, please don't put words in my mouth.
    Sorry, I refuse to be complicit in your dancing around what is, at heart, an exclusionary position. You're being supportive of a point of view that says there's one religion that's not acceptable in Switzerland. I don't accept that point of view, and I'll challenge it where I see it.
    Well yeah, violence is a fairly common occurence between various groups and minorities in other countries around Europe. England..Germany....France.... or would you rather see it get to that point first and then try to do something about it?
    I refuse to accept the inevitability of violence between cultures. I utterly reject the idea that the best way to avoid violence between cultures is to attempt to eradicate one of them, or to take any steps in that direction.
    As regards a message, yes I do believe there to be a such an imperative. If only to discourage fundamentalists from making their way to Switzerland to spread hatred etc safe in the knowledge that the people or government aren't likely to do a thing to stop them.
    What a brilliant plan: let's alienate the moderates, in an attempt to keep the extremists out. I can't see any flaws in that approach.
    And some of us don't.
    You've failed to articulate your view in a way that makes any sense to me. All I can see from your posts is the view that Islam is inherently bad, and anything that keeps those nasty Muslims at bay is acceptable.

Forgive me for not sharing that view.

Question 1, write an essay on the origins of the world.
    At best, you're showing that its possible to ask bad questions in a science exam.
    At worst, you're showing that creationists are incapable of understanding the concept of context.
    If it was a religion exam and Muslim students had to write about Jesus as the son of God I am sure you'd have a different view.
    That would depend. If someone sent their children to a Christian school, then I would have little sympathy. If it was a multi-denominational school, then I would argue that it is again only a case that you're showing the possibility of asking bad questions....something I've never contested, I might add.
    Swimming isn't against the principles of Islam. Evolution is against the principles of creationism.
    I haven't suggested that swimming is against hte principles of Islam. In fact, I've pointed out that such a suggestion is only showing ignorance of the actual issues involved. Alternately, you do know what the issues are, and are therefore being deliberately disingenuous, by making a straw-man argument.
    Seeing as how there is no issue between Islam and swimming I don't think it's a huge leap to suggest it's appropriate swimwear? Swimwear which can be obtained? If it is then I would say it is something which may be considered distasteful. It's not an issue with Islam and the act of swimming.
    Again, let me suggest that you should find out the details of the issue before attempting to argue about it. You're making incorrect assumptions about what the issue is, and consequently reaching invalid and irrelevant conclusions about the implications.

Were there any threads here about the difficulty in getting planning permission for them before this referendum came up?
    Why would there be?

Planning permission is an unbiased, non-controversial concept. It effectively means that things can be built where there isn't significant opposition...where people are in favour of, or ambivalent to, the idea. It applies to all construction equally.

There is no political bias in the concept. It gives people the ability to make their own decisions.
    What you're saying is that discrimination and bias is acceptable in law, as long as you only effect few enough people.
    Well yeah, violence is a fairly common occurence between various groups and minorities in other countries around Europe. England..Germany....France.... or would you rather see it get to that point first and then try to do something about it?
    The Swiss have been quite good at avoiding violence. They've done so primarily by showing understanding and a willingness to compromise. Abandoning that position in favour of bias and legal discrimination is not going to lead away from violence.
    As regards a message, yes I do believe there to be a such an imperative. If only to discourage fundamentalists from making their way to Switzerland to spread hatred etc safe in the knowledge that the people or government aren't likely to do a thing to stop them.
    Yet another strawman. Laws against spreading hatred are how you deal with people spreading hatred....not laws against building minarets.

Laws discriminating against people is how you help others spread hatred against you...by giving them a factual basis on which to base their claims of prejudice.

• Advertisement

Maybe I've completely misread you, but you don't seem to be oozing concern for the views of Swiss muslims. Why is it OK to express that sort of value judgement against one, and only one, religion? Why are you happy to see a ban on minarets, but not on church steeples? So what exactly was the referendum required for?

If the Swiss vote to ban the building of any more church steeples tomorrow I wouldn't have a problem with that. Steeples are, like minarets, a relic of past times and surplus to requirements on churches.
    It's clear that it was, as you say, a shot across the bow. Unlike you, I don't accept that that's where it ends. What is the purpose of a shot across the bow? To make it clear that the next shot can and will be on target.

I believe this shot got the desired effect of making people take notice, don't you? Would I be in favour of more laws like this one? Maybe, maybe not depending on the law itself. Am I in favour of curtailing freedom of religion, and freedom to practice - most definitely not.
    You're being supportive of a point of view that says there's one religion that's not acceptable in Switzerland. I don't accept that point of view, and I'll challenge it where I see it.

Not acceptable? :confused: Again this wasn't a law against Islam, or mosques, or Imams, or Muslims.
    I refuse to accept the inevitability of violence between cultures. I utterly reject the idea that the best way to avoid violence between cultures is to attempt to eradicate one of them, or to take any steps in that direction.

Violence between cultures is inevitable as long as there is no compromise and no assimilation and no people immersing themselves into the culture of the land they live in.
    What a brilliant plan: let's alienate the moderates, in an attempt to keep the extremists out. I can't see any flaws in that approach. You've failed to articulate your view in a way that makes any sense to me. All I can see from your posts is the view that Islam is inherently bad, and anything that keeps those nasty Muslims at bay is acceptable.Forgive me for not sharing that view.

I take offence at that. I haven't for a second claimed Islam to be "inherently bad", quite the opposite in fact.
    At best, you're showing that its possible to ask bad questions in a science exam.
    At worst, you're showing that creationists are incapable of understanding the concept of context.

...in that case you're doing the very same for Muslims.

You have addressed the issue for religious schools. What about secular schools? Should Muslim students who attend secular schools still get different treatment regarding prayer time etc?
    Again, let me suggest that you should find out the details of the issue before attempting to argue about it. You're making incorrect assumptions about what the issue is, and consequently reaching invalid and irrelevant conclusions about the implications.

So go on enlighten me..what is the issue? I mean it's not the actual swimming, and apparently not the dress code etc. :confused:

Advertisement