Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Do not use rechargeable batteries"

Options
  • 29-11-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I got some battery operated LED lights in Dunnes.
    On the side it says for safety's sake do not use rechargeable batteries.
    Why is this. Is it just an LED thingy?
    Rgrds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just something for that product.

I have a powerful LED torch and rechargeables are the best type of batteries to use in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,283 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Rechargables have slightly lower voltage which could result in a slightly higher current running through the LEDs

This could make it run hotter or perform outside what it design spec is I'd guess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I got some battery operated LED lights in Dunnes.
    On the side it says for safety's sake do not use rechargeable batteries.
    Why is this. Is it just an LED thingy?
    Rgrds

It is probably a translation problem. They probably meant
    'Do not recharge batteries!' meaning ordinary batteries. They usualy leak and can explode. Rechargeable batteries have 1.2v when fully charged, but normal batteries have 1.5v when new. If it works with 1.2v, there is no reason not to use them. [IMHO].

Advertisement