Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short between neutral and earth on supply

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Then you don't have an issue with voltage drop on the house wiring, although the incoming supply does seem low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Try running the shower without the shower head on.Check the flow of water through the shower.Seems like a pressure problem to me and water not flowing through the bottle quick enough causing antiscald stat to switch and turn element off.Make sure shower is fed off water tank in attic preferably piped on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

im not a plumber but from what i saw i think the shower is connected to the mains via a 1/2 inch pipe. this is wrong i know as it should be piped from the cold water tank. would the main water pressure effect the shower in the way i have mentioned???

i appriciate your answers by the way, thanks

Fairly sure it has to be connected to water tank and not mains .This would give the effect you are having as i would be sure it is a pressure problem.The first shower may have been a mains shower and was just replaced without changing pipework.You may have to confirm this with a plumber or check website.

yea it defo has to be connected from a water storage tank, thats part and parcel of an electric shower installation, however it had been workin correctly and would the pressure switch only activate if the pressure is too low and not high?

• Advertisement

Mains water flowing too quick through bottle not allowing water to heat. Different problem to low flow where overheat occurs and trips antiscald device.

the thing is i hav checked it at low medium and high power settings without any change in temp, when i did get some heat out from it it was scolding for about 10 secs.

also any flow through the element shoul giv off at least a little heat thats why its pointing me towards an electrical fault.

ill put that point to mira also in my email

Limescale showerhead. Antiscald cutout. Resets 5 mins. Defo

iv tried the shower without the hose connected and it still flowed cold, thats how i knew it wasnt the shower head,

again appriciate the points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

evosteo wrote: »
    shower head is grand no bulid up and the voltage at the shower is 208-209 and measured at the board is 210 so i dont think there is a significant volt drop as the run is roughly 10 meters, and i agree that the cable should have been a 10sq though but i still fell that this is a voltage supply problem as in the esb are only supplying a maximum of 210 volts. although on there website its states that it coul go as low as 207 which seems rediculous to me for equipment rated at 230-240 volt

also the voltage reads 210 at the board when the shower is either on or off and the same at the shower.

im goin to email mira now to see if their equipment would work on a 210v supply

check your filters,shower heads ,water pressure etc. regarding the hot/cold
    prob .
    210v at the 'supply intake point' is on the low side but within the 10%
    your test meters must need calibrating there should be voltage drops with the 8.5kw load!!

• Advertisement

You'd expect a couple of volts at least.

I was out to a guy last week, whose hall smoke alarm activated every time they took a shower, burnt out connections on the main fuse being the cause, but only visible when I took it apart to have a gander. A shower is the largest load in most homes, and can bring problems to light that wouldn't have occurred in the days of one socket, a couple of lights and a sacred heart lamp ;)

That's right! Certain demographics that would tend to keep unsociable hours, and drink at home, and tend to live in apartment accomodation with storage heating give us a call out now and then to change the main fuse...

From an LV pov, not really, no. The old copper stuff is still out there, I had to run about 150A plus through a couple of spans of 25s there recently, and despite it being a cold day, the mid span dropped by about 2 metres due to expansion-one way to stress test the connections anyway ;)

I had a broken neutral on the trafo lug a couple of years ago, went un-noticed for weeks as the load was so well balanced between phases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

sorry there i deleted that post(heresay!:D).i see what you mean though.

Advertisement