Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies Lounge and Gentlemans club in different categories

Options
  • 29-11-2009 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Just a query really..

Is there any reason for the different locations of the Ladies Lounge and the Gentlemen's Club? The former is in the Rec category with the latter in Soc.

Would it not make more sense for them to both be in the same category, be it Rec or Soc, given that their functions are quite similar.

Soc is, to my mind anyway, seen as the more serious of the two categories and having the Men's forum in there with the Ladies forum in the more "fun" category seems a bit off. Implies more importance being given to the Gentleman's Club.

Apologies if this was asked before. Just found it a bit odd :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Think they should both be in soc, cut down on the muppets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So it's sexist, then? There was no problem with the location of TLL until the GC came into being, was there?

TBH, OP, you have little to be getting funked about.

If anything it could be argued TLL being in a busy Cat ie Rec is making it more important than GC which is in the backwater that is Soc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

nipplenuts wrote: »
    So it's sexist, then? There was no problem with the location of TLL until the GC came into being, was there?

TBH, OP, you have little to be getting funked about.

If anything it could be argued TLL being in a busy Cat ie Rec is making it more important than GC which is in the backwater that is Soc.

Jaysus, relax ffs.

It was a simple query as to why two forums which are pretty much the same in terms of function are in two completely different sections. I'm not "getting funked" about anything.

I never mentioned anything about it being sexist and if you read my OP properly you'll see I said, "Would it not make more sense for them to both be in the same category, be it Rec or Soc,.." I'm not demanding it be put in the Soc section at all.

Unclench tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Jaysus, relax ffs.

It was a simple query as to why two forums which are pretty much the same in terms of function are in two completely different sections. I'm not "getting funked" about anything.

I never mentioned anything about it being sexist and if you read my OP properly you'll see I said, "Would it not make more sense for them to both be in the same category, be it Rec or Soc,.." I'm not demanding it be put in the Soc section at all.

Unclench tbh.

Well that's all fine, so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

The Gentleman's Club was called something else before - can't remember exactly, might be "Mens Health".

Might be why they are in two separate categories.

• Advertisement

Saibh wrote: »
    The Gentleman's Club was called something else before - can't remember exactly, might be "Mens Health".

Might be why they are in two separate categories.

Makes sense if that's the case.

The change in name and function would merit a move though, be it The Ladies Lounge to Soc or the Gentleman's Club to Rec.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Jules wrote: »
    Think they should both be in soc, cut down on the muppets!
    I don't think changing the category will cut down on people being muppets in a forum tbh.
    Just a query really..

Is there any reason for the different locations of the Ladies Lounge and the Gentlemen's Club? The former is in the Rec category with the latter in Soc.

Would it not make more sense for them to both be in the same category, be it Rec or Soc, given that their functions are quite similar.

I think it's because tLL is described as a 'safe forum for women' and tGC is for "...men's health, mental health, sexual health, the role of men in modern society..." - While similar topics may end up in both, they're both described as different forums.

Edit; Also, it's possible to post anon in tGC, I think it has to be in the Soc category to do this.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I think it's because tLL is described as a 'safe forum for women' and tGC is for "...men's health, mental health, sexual health, the role of men in modern society..." - While similar topics may end up in both, they're both described as different forums.

As far as I am aware, the reason its referred to as a "safe forum for women" is due to the complete lack of any other place solely for women whereas it can be argued that most, if not all, other forums are male dominated - such is the nature of boards. I don't think its a massive injustice or anything (before I get the femi-nazi comments) thats just how the place is at the moment.

tLL covers pretty much exactly the same stuff from a different perspective tbh. The names are so similar too, so I don't get why one has this air of being more serious while the other is seen as fluff basically.

Edit:
    Fajitas! wrote:
    Edit; Also, it's possible to post anon in tGC, I think it has to be in the Soc category to do this.

Is this a throwback from its "Mens Health forum" days? I'm all for anon posting in both forums tbh.

Also, just to make it clear (again) I'm not suggesting that the Gentleman's Club should come to the Rec category, but I do think both should be in the same place.

The names are so similar too, so I don't get why one has this air of being more serious while the other is seen as fluff basically.

I don't use tLL, but I highly doubt it's seen as being 'fluff' for being in the Rec category? :)

Is this a throwback from its "Mens Health forum" days? I'm all for anon posting in both forums tbh.

Also, just to make it clear (again) I'm not suggesting that the Gentleman's Club should come to the Rec category, but I do think both should be in the same place.

It came from the days when it was Mens Health, but it's still availible if someone felt it was needed.

I don't see a problem with either being in Soc, but I don't think they need to be in the same place either - I don't think it was ever meant to be insulting.

• Advertisement

I don't use tLL, but I highly doubt it's seen as being 'fluff' for being in the Rec category? :)

Perhaps fluff is a bit strong but there is a definite level of gravitas associated with the Soc forum, and thats something the Rec category doesn't have. To have a separation like this does imply that one is more serious than the other.

I never really thought of it like that. There's quite a few forums in Rec that people would see as being quite serious.

Thinking like that might be thinking too much about it - I don't mind where either of them end up, I'll still use tGC and I'll still not use tLL, but I'm just saying that I'd highly doubt there was anything behind where they ended up.

I'm sure CuLT could sort it out with a simple flick of the wrist :)

Thinking like that might be thinking too much about it - I don't mind where either of them end up, I'll still use tGC and I'll still not use tLL, but I'm just saying that I'd highly doubt there was anything behind where they ended up.

Ah I'm not saying it was done intentionally or as a dig at the women of tLL. I don't think that at all. I just find it odd that they're in different places when they cover the same areas with the only difference being the gender of the target users.

I don't see it as a big deal, I was just curious to see if there was any set reason for the distinction between the two or if it was a mere oversight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This is definitely a inexcusable slight on the women of this site.

It's clear that TLL should be in Soc with other bird stuff like Phobias, Parenting and Weddings and Marriage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Like was said already, I think they both started out very differently, tLL was a jokey, lighthearted forum, and Men's Health was... well, Men's Health, an important and serious forum.

They both seem to have met in the middle now, will tLL dealing with more serious topics, and Men's Health now being The Gentleman's Club, so the one that started out light is still in Rec, and the one that started out serious is still in Soc.

Boards probably needs a 'We don't know where this should go, so its going here' category.

They should probably be in the same category yes, but I dont think it'll change anything really with regards to perceptions or posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

I think one of them should definitely get a category move. Like others said, it's not a big deal but I think it would make sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Even though it's extra workload at times I would very much agree.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

social forum category?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

at least its not in noc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Jazzy wrote: »
    at least its not in noc...

thats not a category. its a forum. i thought someone around as long as you would know that. kinda like knowing that admins of websites can see ip addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's true what they say; men are from the soc category, women, the rec category.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i don't think this needs to be anything that it's not.

If tLL Mods feel they'd like to have the forum move, I'm pretty sure they know the mechanism to do such a thing. I'd also say that neither we in The GC or the guys (guyettes) in tLL look to each others fora as male and female versions of each other. The fora cover similar topics and they cover different stuff just as much. We all do our own things and I'd like to think that we all do it pretty well. Though if the ladies wanna do a joint forum beers...........;)

There's deffo no big conspiracy going on here, not that I think the OP is suggesting that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

One or the other definitely needs moving, imo. Nearly went mad trying to find tGC the other day, couldn't for the life of me understand why they were in different cats til I remembered the recent name change for tGC.

The two forums serve entirely the same purpose for different genders, they should be in the same category. Anon posting would be great in tLL too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Does it make a difference that the 2 forums are under different categories?

Not a fliggit.

Though given the fact that they are both kinda similar then they probably should be under the same overall umbrella.

However one potential snaffu could be (bear in mind that I dont know how the anon posting crack works) if the GC moves to the Rec category,will anon posting be allowed/enabled?

For things like the circumscision thread for example,Id imagine that this is an extremely personal thing for alot of men that have to have it done and they may feel that they cant post unless they can do it anonymously.

Likewise,Shelly mentioned she would like to see anon posting in tLL.This would likely mean alot more work for mods due to the potential for shenanigans.

For the record,it doesnt bother me in the slightest if one/both/neither get moved.They both serve a purpose so their category doesnt matter a damn,unless as I stated,there is an issue with anon posting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The only reason I would see for moving one of the forums is so that they are associated in the same place so that new people wont be wondering why a woman's forum is catered for and not a men's forum etc. A tidying up so to speak.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wasn't it BGRH and then tLL as the female version, but tLL took a different route in what it actually covered. Then Mens Health/ TGC appeared to cover the male side of what tLL happened to have evolved into?

I could be remembering it all wrong of course.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    For things like the circumscision thread for example,Id imagine that this is an extremely personal thing for alot of men that have to have it done and they may feel that they cant post unless they can do it anonymously.

Likewise, I'm sure there are a lot of topics that women would like to discuss anonymously. Rape being an obvious example.
    nedtheshed wrote: »
    Likewise,Shelly mentioned she would like to see anon posting in tLL.This would likely mean alot more work for mods due to the potential for shenanigans.

The mods of tLL are all level-headed, well established posters and I'm sure if they are okay with the extra workload (Wibbs has already indicated he would be) then I don't see what the problem is.

Personally I think anon posting would be a great addition to tLL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Yes, lots more work for the mods, but it would be an advantage for the serious posters. There are health threads in there at present, but being a long-term user of boards with RL friends in there, if I had a pressing female health issue I wouldn't exactly feel comfortable posting there about it.

I can see it being open to abuse by the various flirtatious muppets that gravitate to tLL, but the mods do a sterling job of smacking them down as it is, and if they were ok to take on the extra work, it would be a fantastic addition.

Anon posting aside, it *definitely* needs moving, if only from a logic point of view. New users looking for either forum could get easily confused - I certainly did. I'm not pushed which gets moved where though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nope, there is at least one rec forum that allows anon posting.

The reason they are in different categories is because TLL was set up as a female version of BGRH so it was placed in rec at the time. The gentlemans club was originally Mens health so it was placed in soc category which at the time was a better fit for the forum than the rec category would. A while later it was changed to the gentlemans club because it dealt with more general mens issues but nobody bothered to move it into rec because it fitted in to soc quite well.

Both forums fit into soc and rec equally well so not really much of a muchness. I do think it makes sense to have them in the same cat though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Nope, there is at least one rec forum that allows anon posting.

The reason they are in different categories is because TLL was set up as a female version of BGRH so it was placed in rec at the time. The gentlemans club was originally Mens health so it was placed in soc category which at the time was a better fit for the forum than the rec category would. A while later it was changed to the gentlemans club because it dealt with more general mens issues but nobody bothered to move it into rec because it fitted in to soc quite well.

Both forums fit into soc and rec equally well so not really much of a muchness. I do think it makes sense to have them in the same cat though.

slight correction: Men's health was originally in Sci, and was moved to Soc when it was renamed. We discussed moving it into either Rec or Soc, and Soc was felt to be a better fit. There is still a redirect under the Sci Menu.

Personally, I think they should be in the same cat, and I think that cat should be Soc. A while ago I would have questioned how much difference it would make, but I've seen the difference the move to Soc has made with mine own two eyes.

Anonymous posting doesn't add a huge amount of work tbh, especially if it's moderated (what I mean by that is, a moderator has to approve every anonymous post). The main thing is remembering to check for moderated posts- other than that, it's just click-click.

Advertisement