Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert English

Options
  • 29-11-2009 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi:)

I was just wondering could anyone tell me please what their predictions are for the expected poems on the english honours leaving cert paper for 2009?

thanks,
    Aisling

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Don't need to predict. Check examinations.ie for the paper itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rashers92

oh sorry,
    im so silly!ha,
    i meant the english paper for 2010,
    ha thanks anyways though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

Boland

Kavanagh (I hope)
    Keats came up last year in the revised paper so I wouldn't bet on him coming up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I think either Yeats, Kavanagh or Longley will come up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Just learn 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rashers92

cool thanks,
    so i will be banking on Longley,Yeats,Boland,Kavanagh!
    cheers,
    aisling

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm not sure about this year but the general tip is a woman an and Irish poet always come up.

Everyone in my year just focused on the women :p (Although we of course learned all our poets, just learned the women especially well >____> )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 signal terror

Rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

TS Eliot a favourite with the English Dept.Very important and influential modern poet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

It's only November.. you've plenty of time to study five poets ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Rich

Our teacher told us not to even bother with her :p

And thank god too cranky old hag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

iv heard boland from a few people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 signal terror

Seloth wrote: »
    Our teacher told us not to even bother with her :p

And thank god too cranky old hag

Really? She's the only female poet we're doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

My bet is Kavanagh and Boland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

what kinda **** do u need to know about poets? ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Well some background info is always good, helps put stuff in context. And sure it means you can study them poets more. Aisling, Ms Meile (cant spell it) also said that Kavanagh is practically a dead cert, and Ms Fitzgerald had said Boland. The big thing is to make personal responses personal- and Its easier to praise than to condemn. Irish poet, female poet, those two are dead certain as standard it appears. And dont discount a poet cos it was up last year- the sneaky bastards may put it up again! Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Ok, I just wrote this. I was responding to a question about whether the poetry of Adrienne Rich speaks to you.

Yes the poetry of Rich does speak to me. Despite not being within her natural demographic audience I feel her poetry transcends gender. Rich's poetry provokes with a range of social issues which we can all fathom.

That's crap English but is that generally what we are meant to be doing for these questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Mate thats not bad english at all. And yeah thats the general idea. That kinda thing, how you felt about it, etc. And kinda how you felt it was written, etc. I will maybe post some of my essays up here, they tend to disturb teachers :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

Boland hasnt come up for a few years, and Eliot and Yeats too... theyre the ones to watch..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Besides one, noone has mentioned T.s Eliot?? he's only came up twice in 9 years and hasnt since 2007, the Two q's were mainly personal responses and my teacher believes they ask 'easier' questions for the because he's a 'harder' poet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Crow92 wrote: »
    Besides one, noone has mentioned T.s Eliot?? he's only came up twice in 9 years and hasnt since 2007, the Two q's were mainly personal responses and my teacher believes they ask 'easier' questions for the because he's a 'harder' poet

That's because he's only been on the course a few times in the nine years (don't know off the top of my head) and hasn't been on since 2007!

Your teacher has a good point. Students who answer on the 'harder' poets tend to get marked better, happened last year with Keats.

deemark wrote: »
    That's because he's only been on the course a few times in the nine years (don't know off the top of my head) and hasn't been on since 2007!

Your teacher has a good point. Students who answer on the 'harder' poets tend to get marked better, happened last year with Keats.

Who are the 'harder' poets this year then, by consensus?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

would you not learn say 5? or even 6? and that way your safe no matter what? much better than guessing...plus if techers always have an idea of what will be comin up so you can study the ones they reccomend a bit more..T.S. Elliot though to answer you question..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jamser89

kavanagh

Well we are studying 5 to be certain, she's just convinced he'll come up....though all teachers are convinced something will;)
    Anyways i'm just after downloading eliot reciting most of his poetry, can't find usk, rannock or eas coker IV, Hopefully this'll help remember the poem as i would a song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Who are the 'harder' poets this year then, by consensus?

Keats and Eliot. Keats came up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

So Yeats isn't really a "hard" poet?

• Advertisement

Lawliet wrote: »
    So Yeats isn't really a "hard" poet?

we're not saying he isnt hard....i havent studied him yet actually, but it's more a general consensus some are harder than others and you'll see that by which poets are rarely attempted when they come up,

I'm currently doing Kavanagh and personally i find him alot easier to comprehend than eliot, sure eliot even gave explanitory notes with some of his works because most couldn't properly comprehend them.

Advertisement