Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert English

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Crow92 wrote: »
    we're not saying he isnt hard....i havent studied him yet actually, but it's more a general consensus some are harder than others and you'll see that by which poets are rarely attempted when they come up,
    Yeah I know what you mean, I'm just trying to decide right now what other poets to study. I know my teacher is going to do Yeats in class and I was just wondering if he would cover the tough poet category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Am I correct that in saying that if I study 4 poets there is a 69/70 chance one of my poets will come up (i.e 1/70 change they won't come up). This is my reasoning:

There are 8 poets on the course (?), 4 poets come up (?), order is not important therefore the number of possibilities is 8C4 which equals 70. But now if we were to number the 8 poets 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and we study 4, let's say you study 5,6,7,8 then the only possible combination where one of your poets doesn't show up is if 1,2,3,4 show up - which is one combination out of a possible 70. Therefore the probability of one of your poets showing up is 69/70. This is there is only a 1/70 chance than none of your poets will show up! (Note: in the calculations I did not factor in recent patterns in exam papers)

Is this right? I spend my English doing it today :rolleyes:. If it is then I like those odds and will only bothering studying 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Am I correct that in saying that if I study 4 poets there is a 69/70 chance one of my poets will come up (i.e 1/70 change they won't come up). This is my reasoning:

There are 8 poets on the course (?), 4 poets come up (?), order is not important therefore the number of possibilities is 8C4 which equals 70. But now if we were to number the 8 poets 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and we study 4, let's say you study 5,6,7,8 then the only possible combination where one of your poets doesn't show up is if 1,2,3,4 show up - which is one combination out of a possible 70. Therefore the probability of one of your poets showing up is 69/70. This is there is only a 1/70 chance than none of your poets will show up! (Note: in the calculations I did not factor in recent patterns in exam papers)

Is this right? I spend my English doing it today :rolleyes:. If it is then I like those odds and will only bothering studying 4!

but if order isn't important, could i not say: as well as 1,2,3,4 being a combination where none of your poets come up, there is also 4,3,2,1 or 3,2,1,4 or 1,3,2,4 etc. etc.? i'm open to correction here, haven't looked at probability in maths in over 12 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

but if order isn't important, could i not say: as well as 1,2,3,4 being a combination where none of your poets come up, there is also 4,3,2,1 or 3,2,1,4 or 1,3,2,4 etc. etc.? i'm open to correction here, haven't looked at probability in maths in over 12 months!

If order was important then 4,3,2,1 would be a different result to 1,2,3,4 however order is not important as for example Boland(1), Yeats(2), Kavanagh(3) and Elliot(4) coming up is the same thing as Elliot(4), Kavanagh(3), Yeats(2) and Boland(1) coming up.

(I think!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

The only way to cover yourself is to do five - that way you can at least answer on one of the poets if the three you leave out come up. Remember too that even if your preferred poets come up the question might not suit you so the more choice you give yourself the better.If 2009 LC Eng taught us anything it's to not count on predictions or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

rashers92 wrote: »
    cool thanks,
    so i will be banking on Longley,Yeats,Boland,Kavanagh!
    cheers,
    aisling

My teacher says that he thinks it will be Yeats or Kavanagh,I hope its them tbh because I like Yeats and Kavanagh`s is easy to understand I think. Longley would be nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I hope Yeats comes up....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I've only done 3 and a bit and i only know one of them so fingers crossed Boland comes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I hope Kavanagh pops up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

Lawliet wrote: »
    So Yeats isn't really a "hard" poet?

|My english teacher said he's not hard to understand people just answer badly on him, and trust me, podgers is never wrong.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mia19

I'm hoping for Longley and Boland...
    Pretty sure Boland is coming up.;)
    Our teacher said not to bother with Rich either!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

my best guess is boland kavanagh elliot an yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

We're doing Rich, Yeats, Kavanagh, Longley, Eliot and I think we still have to do one more, Boland. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Maher08

gant0 wrote: »
    my best guess is boland kavanagh elliot an yeats
    Looking at the previous papers, these four have extremely good odds for coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The only way to cover yourself is to do five - that way you can at least answer on one of the poets if the three you leave out come up. Remember too that even if your preferred poets come up the question might not suit you so the more choice you give yourself the better.If 2009 LC Eng taught us anything it's to not count on predictions or anything else.
    you cant even predict the date its on anymore:D lord never felt as shafted in my life then that thurs morning

Advertisement