Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirt 2 DX11 benchmark

Options
  • 29-11-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Anyone ran this yet?
    Seems to run great on my 5850, 1680x1050, 4xAA, ultra settings, Max FPS: 63.7, Min: 54.8

Looks great for DX11 gaming
    dirt21n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Cool. Is the game any good btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Sweet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah buying an 8400 gs was not a wise buy as a Dx10 device. For the same reason Im pretty wary about diving into 11 just yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote: »
    yeah buying an 8400 gs was not a wise buy as a Dx10 device. For the same reason Im pretty wary about diving into 11 just yet.
    The 8400 is and always was a low end card. the 5800 series are high end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

1680 x 1050 - 4 x AA - ULTRA settings
    min_fps="44.804276" av_fps="58.142105"

1680 x 1050 - 8 x AA - ULTRA settings
    min_fps="41.200008" av_fps="53.299881"

Win 7
    5750 in crossfire, running at 750/1200 for this benchmark.

AMD has released a hotfix Catalyst driver for the latest Colin McRae: Dirt 2 title. This hotfix adds CrossFireX support and improves performance on Dirt 2.

Linky

Thanks

That patch improved my FPS by a-lot.
    Used same settings as above noting changed and same clock speeds. Ran the test 4 times at 4aa & 8aa and get almost the same results as showing below.

min_fps="48.756508" av_fps="60.301926"

min_fps="51.079208" av_fps="57.792637"

Sapphire install disc drivers
    5870 @ 1680 x 1050 - 4 x AA - ULTRA settings
    Max FPS: 65.1, Min: 57.7

Noticed a 5 fps frame drop after I installed the Dirt 2 Hot fix drivers so an uninstall and driver sweep in safe mode and reinstall of just the 9.11 drivers from the ATI site gave a huge boost.

5870 @ 1680 x 1050 - 4 x AA - ULTRA settings
    Max 94.4 Min 83.5

Ran again and got a Max 94.5 Min 83.6

I re done the test's again after i had found out that my CPU clocks set them selfs back to default 2.67. So i put them back up to 3.8

min_fps="52.821152" av_fps="63.517620"

min_fps="52.732952" av_fps="60.245667"

Only an extra 3FPS with all that extra CPU power.

@ Venom : is that in DX11? Looks a bit high if it is DX11. Unless your running crossfire. Check it out if you could. Thanks

• Advertisement

Yeah its DX11 as far as I can see. Reinstall Dirt2 and same 1680 x 1050 - 4 x AA - ULTRA settings got me Max 93.6 Min 79.4 and total frames of 22.600.

Not running CF and how do I make sure Im running DX 11?

Venom wrote: »

Can I give You a tip here, I use Ati Tray Tools with the Ati driver only, instead of the full Ati Catalyst Control Centre, its got many more options than CCC and is much lighter on resources. Its got loads of tweaks and can make game profiles, can do screenshots or vids like fraps. I use it cos it can force AA off in Arma 2, where CCC can't. One nice feature in it is on screen display which You can modify to show many things including fps, fan speed, api mode (directx type), gpu % load (shows each gpu seperate), gpu temp (each gpu seperate), cpu load and more. Another advantage of ATT is that if You overclock, You can reinstall your gpu driver and not have to reset the overclock or all Your settings, profiles etc.
    ATI Tray Tools 1.6.9.1435

If You use a 64bit OS you're gonna have to sign the driver Yourself, use this:
    Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider

You need to fully remove the CCC in add/remove and run driver sweeper in safe mode first before installing it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

^^ I really liked ATI Tray Tools but its a pain in the butt to use on Vista x64/Win 7 x64 due to being unsigned.
    I use MSI afterburner info running on one of my other screens to keep an eye on temps, lol, completely overkill but handy.
    Yeah its DX11 as far as I can see. Reinstall Dirt2 and same 1680 x 1050 - 4 x AA - ULTRA settings got me Max 93.6 Min 79.4 and total frames of 22.600.

Those new FPS do look a bit out, just comparing them to other 5870 owners.
    look at the file in G:\Users\YOU\Documents\My Games\DiRT2 Demo\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml

and make sure
    <directx forcedx9="false" />

also Fraps will have the square black box around the FPS counter( like it does in DX10 but not DX9 )

Apparently the 'official' demo release runs about 10% faster, might try it for the laugh but one hell of a download size for a quick check lol.

Pog my card/system didnt like the ati tray at all crashes all over the place but after another reinstall and checking the user files im getting 66.1 max and 59.6 min.

The benchmark seems very ropey tho as its always different due to how the race goes.

Pog my card/system didnt like the ati tray at all crashes all over the place but after another reinstall and checking the user files im getting 66.1 max and 59.6 min.

The benchmark seems very ropey tho as its always different due to how the race goes.
    yeah those fps look about right - http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3039/dirt2_directx_11_ati_radeon_hd_5000_series_comparison/index2.html
    i didnt realise the race is different each time? i presumed it was the same as its pointless if its not, i only ran it twice.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    yeah those fps look about right - http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3039/dirt2_directx_11_ati_radeon_hd_5000_series_comparison/index2.html
    i didnt realise the race is different each time? i presumed it was the same as its pointless if its not, i only ran it twice.

Iv run it alot today and always different. Better results when your in the lead as less cars/effects in front of you.

Iv run it alot today and always different. Better results when your in the lead as less cars/effects in front of you.
    arent you running the Benchmark thats in the Options menu( when youre outside the caravan, theres a "My Rides" option, return to caravan option and "options" option, in the later you can run the benchmark.

Yes outside option's is what u need. At very bottom you have benchmark option. Also on the way down turn up all the settings to Ultra. Some settings u wont be able to go higher then just High.

lmimmfn, I've had no problems with ATT on Windows 7 with a 4870x2, but You need to digitally sign the driver Yourself if You're using 64bit
    http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

You could still run Msi Afterburner along with it, ATT just replaces CCC.

lmimmfn, I've had no problems with ATT on Windows 7 with a 4870x2, but You need to digitally sign the driver Yourself if You're using 64bit
    http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

You could still run Msi Afterburner along with it, ATT just replaces CCC.
    cheers, i might give it a whirl, wouldnt work in Vista last year when i tried it so i gave up, i only installed Win 7 RC just over 2 weeks ago so still have loads of things to install on it, but when it does work its fantastic, much much better than the extremely bloated CCC, prob doesnt support eyefinity yet though, i asked Ray Adams to do an Nvidia version when i had my 260, he said no lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

heard dx11 performance is ****e compared to dx9. nearly 40% in FPS drops for barely noticeable graphics improvements.

anyone done a benchmark on dx9?

heard dx11 performance is ****e compared to dx9. nearly 40% in FPS drops for barely noticeable graphics improvements.

anyone done a benchmark on dx9?

5870 @ 1680 x 1050 - 4 x AA - ULTRA settings Max 94.4 Min 83.5. My various reinstalls and wipes of drivers messed up the dx11 settings it seems lol. Steam keeps pushing back the release date tho with sucks as i want to play my free game :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yeah, been playin it the last few nights. loving it so far. fps is jumpy in places.... and yes, i can confirm, the dx11 fps is total rubbish, my mate has it on his 5850.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

57xx series just became even worse value for money!

Bob; Yeah it's dx11

Tomos; Really?... kewl

Bob; Oh yeah, but you can't use it...

Tomos; :(

the goddamned difference in graphics between dx11 and dx9 is el zilcho. unless water splashes are your kinda thing, then you're in heaven.

I need more games and proof that dx11 is PC gamings saviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

My god, what a **** game.

Random bull**** speak from your opponents, taking yoru finger off the accelerator at 140 and instantly breakign ot 70mph without touching the breaks.

Stupid handling.

Thank god i got this game for free with my 5870, or i'd be taking a large dump into a envelope and sending it back to codemasters.

How to disgrace colin mcrea's name... this game did it.

dirt2>dirt1>colin mccrae 2005>colin mcrae 2004>v rally :P

to sum it up, i think its evolving. i love it. i like the homeage to mccrae himself at the beginning too ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the goddamned difference in graphics between dx11 and dx9 is el zilcho. unless water splashes are your kinda thing, then you're in heaven.

The tesselation is the only useful thing i can see in DX11 that cannot already be implemented in DX10. So you're getting a slightly sharper image...

Anyway, DX10 native games (as in games properly developed for DX10, not just sh*tty ports of DX9) like Shattered Horizon are blowing these buggy DX11 beta's out of the water in terms of looks.

Yeah, but consoles are holding us at dx9

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yeah, but consoles are holding us at dx9

yeah, that's damn true. Goddamn consoles...

But still, i just find it odd they way DX11 is being hyped to the gils. A lot of sites and reviews are saying DX11 represents a much bigger leap than DX9-DX10*... then they go off to list techniques like SSAO that have been implemented already for years. Even DirectCompute, the most interesting feature, is simply a CUDA knockoff...

*DX10: Unified Shaders!

Advertisement