Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirt 2 DX11 benchmark

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

yeah, that's damn true. Goddamn consoles...

But still, i just find it odd they way DX11 is being hyped to the gils. A lot of sites and reviews are saying DX11 represents a much bigger leap than DX9-DX10*... then they go off to list techniques like SSAO that have been implemented already for years. Even DirectCompute, the most interesting feature, is simply a CUDA knockoff...

*DX10: Unified Shaders!
    no, the most important change is multicore support and tesselation. The first batch of games are never important really as it takes time for advances to mature. Im not saying DX11 will take off but it has a much better chance compared to DX10 which was a dud because everyone needed to upgrade to Vista. A lot of people should be on Vista now or be upgrading from XP to Win 7, so having a large base should increase the chances of it taking off.

The multicore support should mean theres less of a difference between min and average fps in the same way that cards prior to dx10 cards had a fixed shader count and in games like oblivion if you went outdoors they just died compared to insane fps indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

lmimmfn wrote: »
    everyone needed to upgrade to Vista. A lot of people should be on Vista now or be upgrading from XP to Win 7, so having a large base should increase the chances of it taking off.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

looking at the steam survey: 45.1% of steam users surveyed are running DX 10 systems. (another 27% have a DX10 gfx card under XP)
    20% now have quad core cpus and 57.18% are on dual core cpus

No stats yet for DX11, but an interesting enough survey.

I recently went from XP to Win7 myself so I was interested on the breakdown and I then remembered I am running DX10 now myself and then looked up a list of DX10 compatible games: tis very short!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

dirt2>dirt1>colin mccrae 2005>colin mcrae 2004>v rally :P

to sum it up, i think its evolving. i love it. i like the homeage to mccrae himself at the beginning too ^^

The only similarity between Colin McCrae 2005 and the Dirt series, is they both feature cars.

One is a rally simulator with realistic physics, the other is just a stupid shiny American arcade game for consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lmimmfn wrote: »
    no, the most important change is multicore support and tesselation.

I disagree. They are important (and in the case of multicore support badly needed and long overdue) but there's nothing really new in either so they aren't ground breaking in the same way unified-shaders were (btw, unified shaders did more than just fix fps, things like SSAO wouldn't be possible without them). In many respects they just consolidate a bunch of technologies already available in a nice, neat package for the developer.

DirectCompute has a lot more to offer imo if developers can get used to the GPGPU paradigm (which is a big if). Until DirectCompute, GPGPU was locked to the architecture and never fully got utilised. That's why PhysX seems little more than a gimmick, as developer's couldn't incorporate its full potential into the gameplay for fear of locking out a massive portion of the market. So things like its deformable objects, fluid simulations or breakable scenery were pretty much ignored. And I'd hazard none of ye have ever seen a hardware accelerated crowd simulation before? 10,000 agents on screen at once. Imagine that many units in an RTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Anti wrote: »
    Thank god i got this game for free with my 5870, or i'd be taking a large dump into a envelope and sending it back to codemasters.
    Funny case in the States a few years ago,
    Michael Harold Lynch was ticketed for doing 54 mph in a 35 mph area that was also a construction zone. The fine was $206. Lynch decided to let his anger flow by placing $206 in a plastic bag, peeing in the bag and sending it in. Upon receiving Lynch's little care package, the courthouse staff gave it to a police officer and declined to accept the pungent payment to clear the ticket.

Turns out Lynch didn't break any laws – it's not necessarily illegal to mail bodily fluids. The pee-and-pennies were sent back to Lynch – COD, in fact – with a note that said they couldn't be taken because "the pile of coins emitted a strong, pungent odor of stale urine." Lynch responded by sending a check made out to another agency, which was returned, then he sent a check for the wrong amount. Now he's on the hook for $271 because his payment is late. We wonder what he has in store for number round 2...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Guys I think alot of you are missing the point here, for a start the game is not DX11. It is DX10 with DX11 additions..it would have to be made from the ground up to be truely enforce the DX11 so dont start throwing your dummy out of the pram for the 1st title to feature DX11 traits.

Also for those peeps moaning about the loss of FPS with the DX11 features enabled should not be running the game on older components. I mean the peeps with the hardware to use the features have FPS to spare so dont care about the hit they take. I run the game maxed etc and could not give a rats ass about the performance hit....(yes I can afford the FPS hit with my card its not the point) thats why the devs give the option to turn it OFF.

Also the cars dont handle that bad....but they to if you are comparing the game to a simulation racing game like NFS:Shift for example. Play the game for what it is an arcade racer that looks stunning no matter what DX mode you play and is quite fun when you get used to it. And trust me I have payed for alot WORSE.

And it was FREEEEEEEEEEEE 4 ME!!!!!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Guys I think alot of you are missing the point here, for a start the game is not DX11. It is DX10 with DX11 additions..it would have to be made from the ground up to be truely enforce the DX11 so dont start throwing your dummy out of the pram for the 1st title to feature DX11 traits.

I was giving out about the media coverage, hyping these brand new DX11 features up to the hilt when all they were DX10 features. EVERYWHERE is doing it and it's driving my nut in. It's like Crysis never happened...

Btw I wasn't throwing the dummy out when i was saying that DX11 doesn't bring much new to the table, because it's true. The major changes relate to programmability and backwards compatibility (a full DX11 game should be able to play on DX10 hardware with the major DX11 features disabled obviously). It's essentially a giant bug fix of DX10 with some small shiny new features for the marketing guys to ramble about.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's still no justification to delay the game by 3 months to add dx11 features thats barely noticable :(

its a bad start to dx11, im expecting more though, time will tell

its a bad start to dx11, im expecting more though, time will tell

DirectX 11 should mean that there'll be more games up to the visual standards of Crysis, and tesselation with allow for a sharper picture. But the main potential benefits will be seen in whether developers adopt the DirectCompute stuff. That has the potential to offer some serious improvements in the Physics and AI side of things, but so far most developers seem to be shrugging it off already as they are still having a hard enough time adopting to multi-core. So meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

theres far too much knocking of DX11 going on, outside of the much needed architecture change, DX10 was a complete dud, next to no advantage over dx9 when it comes to the api, dx11 does offer that, finally physics might be standardised with directcompute, tesselation should improve the overall quality and the multi core feature should improve overall performance( compared to the same scene in dx10 ), also DX10.1 was great for AA but only ATI users could avail of the features, dx11 will standardise that for ATI and Nvidia so everyone with a DX11 card can benefit.

For me the API is a huge upgrade compared to DX10, arguments on adoption by devs is completely irrelevant, consoles drive the gaming community and we in the pc world just get crappy ports so with consoles on effectively dx9( sony is a bit different ) were screwed until we know when new consoles will be released simply because devs will have to prepare for the latest console hardware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement