Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa - any one else starting to panic ?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how everyone else is thinking at the moment ?

Im starting to panic - santa is a few weeks away, funds are @ zero, bills mounting & santa looming. Even limiting it to 1 item each child is so daunting....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are lots of cheap and cheerful things which kids will get a lot of mileage out of rather then 1 more expensive thing, hit the 2euro stores and you will be surprised what you can pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Im not sure we can even visit Santa. The nearest one is flooded and thr grotto may not even open this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Im not sure we can even visit Santa. The nearest one is flooded and thr grotto may not even open this year.

Now thats sad - the amount of unfortunate people who are going to have a very different christmas this year ... be it finances, floods, illness ( swine) etc

jenzz wrote: »
    Now thats sad - the amount of unfortunate people who are going to have a very different christmas this year ... be it finances, floods, illness ( swine) etc

Yeah, it kind of puts it in perspective. All these people not too far away, a an hour or so down the road, homeless, cold, wet. Poor. All their life savings.Gone. Towns flooded with water and sewage. All in the midst of a season that glorifies domesticity. On my way home, the other day I saw a house burning down, the family outside on the road in pouring rain waiting for the firemen, everything gone in minutes.

As long as my son is happy and healthy and warm this winter, and has at least a couple of bits and pieces from Santa and enjoys the festivities, I will be happy enough with that.

Total perspective. Im just wondering something now. Has a Santa appeal been set up for any of these families ? Remember years ago Quinnsworth used to do a santa appeal for those not so fortunate - You bought a gift whilst doing your shopping & donated it. Is there any megastore ie Smyths/ Tesco doing this to help specificly the flood victims? Im in the east but would like to maybe pop a gift in the post to somewhere which might help someone out.

( I feel guilty now for my panic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

People should be able to get money from the fund that the Government has set up. St. Vincent de Paul have a flood relief fund set up etc. Donating to the Red Cross is also an option.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Total perspective. Im just wondering something now. Has a Santa appeal been set up for any of these families ? Remember years ago Quinnsworth used to do a santa appeal for those not so fortunate - You bought a gift whilst doing your shopping & donated it. Is there any megastore ie Smyths/ Tesco doing this to help specificly the flood victims? Im in the east but would like to maybe pop a gift in the post to somewhere which might help someone out.

( I feel guilty now for my panic)

Toy collection for flood victims here http://www.offersofhelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78

i have been organising collections in work as well, may be you could start your own collection

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my wife picked up a second hand bike on magicmum for €30 , sorted:D granny and autie money will cover the rest. Just remember it's cool to be frugal now so might as well make the most of it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 betterlife

Yeah, it kind of puts it in perspective. All these people not too far away, a an hour or so down the road, homeless, cold, wet. Poor. All their life savings.Gone. Towns flooded with water and sewage. All in the midst of a season that glorifies domesticity. On my way home, the other day I saw a house burning down, the family outside on the road in pouring rain waiting for the firemen, everything gone in minutes.

As long as my son is happy and healthy and warm this winter, and has at least a couple of bits and pieces from Santa and enjoys the festivities, I will be happy enough with that.

I have a lot of worries and are panic at the comming new year. Perhaps I should not think too much. Nothing is more important than peace. Don't worry. You're gonna be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Just wondering how everyone else is thinking at the moment ?

Im starting to panic - santa is a few weeks away, funds are @ zero, bills mounting & santa looming. Even limiting it to 1 item each child is so daunting....
    I'm on a tight budget myself and I have been researching for the best value toys that are still pleasing and entertaining for the kids. A list of what I have found so far are...

Lidl from thurs 10th. 1000 or 500 building blocks (v.similar, if not the same as lego) for approx, 12euro, 8euro respectively.

Tesco as of now... 'Go Diego Go Make your own adventure kit' 8euro down from 15euro: Pirate boat and figures 9euro down from 19.99 I think.

Smyths Toys... Barbie Fashionista doll 10euro: Zambi the elephant half price from 50 down to 25euro.

Tk Maxx... Worth a browse, lots of nice quality toys at great prices, plus amazing bargains to be had on individual items. Look for the red price tags for stuff marked down, at this time of year they will want to be clearing out a lot of stuff to make room for new stuff.

Side Tip... the half price toys in Dunnes are mostly garbage, stear clear.

Plus rechargeable batteries are on sale at Aldies 4*AA, 4*AAA, 2*C for approx 5euro. (I did research on these batteries and they are apparently as good as the more expensive brands). It is wiser to buy a charger and get rechargeable batteries for toys (it saves a bundle).

Alert!!Do not buy cheap and cheerful batteries from a cheapy shop, they are out of date and will be almost certainly dead within a couple of hours because batteries mostly trickle discharge over time. There is nothing more frustrating or disappointing than getting a toy on xmas day and having it die quickly with all the shops closed.

Ps Check out the Lidl website for special offers for thurs 10. Lots of incredibly cheap and half decent toys available.

I'll put up any other tips or bargains that I find as I go. maybe others might have some toy bargain tips in the meantime as well?;)

Best of luck OP and hold tough, just because things are tight doesn't mean it has to be bad Christmas. After all, at the end of the day it isn't about the cash, it's more about family being together and enjoying each others company. I think kids get more out of this than any 'expensive' toys. A good xmas dinner around the table and a bit of craic is worth more than a few expensive toys any day and far more memorable;)

• Advertisement

^ good stuff deliverance. Also, maybe finding solutions to the other costly things of christmas that a kid cant really do without, like a tree and decorations, etc etc. That stuff all adds up.

On a funny note my son and I were talking in the car about who was coming to visit him over christmas, and we went through the names and then we also added that santa was coming to visit too. And when we got home and I openned the door he ran in and started shouting "santa! santa! santa!" and started looking for him in each room.

No no... you have to wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

hi mate dont forget ebay never know what you will find for half nothing on there

also got 3 barbies in argos today for my youngest only 12.99 roughly 4.30 each where else would you get it

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3839364/Trail/searchtext%3EBARBIE.htm

^ good stuff deliverance. Also, maybe finding solutions to the other costly things of christmas that a kid cant really do without, like a tree and decorations, etc etc. That stuff all adds up.

Good point there. Heres what I found so far tree wise.

Aldi... 6ft artificial Xmas tree 30euro, bargain and actually a nice tree to boot.
    Centra... baubles(16*red or gold)= 2euro: tinsel strips * 3 =1euro each: coloured lights =7euro.

Total for nicely finished respectable looking tree which the little one is delighted with was approx 42 euro.

Plus I topped it up by decorating it with some of the little ones smaller toys for the personal touch. It was well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Make sure to put some nice hair clips and bobbins (can be picked up in Peneys for next to nothing) in to the sock - you'll end up buying them through the year anyway so it's practical now to buy them to bulk out santas presents.

I know this is of no help to you for this year - but I start buying for Santa in January. It really helps me when December comes around! Maybe you could give this a go for 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭MelissaLahive

Might be a good idea to check out eBay and Amazon too. You'll probably pick up some great bargains and 2nd hand toys and presents at way cheaper prices than some of the rip off stores that are out there

Good point there. Heres what I found so far tree wise.

Aldi... 6ft artificial Xmas tree 30euro, bargain and actually a nice tree to boot.
    Centra... baubles(16*red or gold)= 2euro: tinsel strips * 3 =1euro each: coloured lights =7euro.

Total for nicely finished respectable looking tree which the little one is delighted with was approx 42 euro.

Plus I topped it up by decorating it with some of the little ones smaller toys for the personal touch. It was well worth it.

I saw Tesco value tree for 12 E yesterday.[I dont know how nice it is -no display.] And for anyone who likes goose for Christmas [15 E in Lidl] - I dont personally like goose but this is a great price for it. They also have lobster for 5 E [I had this - its delicious and precooked].

The toy hamster craze is going through the roof at the moment, kids love them. I found this on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Henley-Imports-Running-Hamster/dp/B0018LQ6NA/ref=pd_rhf_p_img_2

Here it is in action. Looks like a nice toy for the kids at xmas at decent price.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5huhaNtd3g&feature=related

The only concern I would have is if it is ordered now would it arrive before xmas. Best bet is to check / email Amazon first to see.

Edit: scratch this they mostly don't deliver to Ireland, the ones that do charge ridiculous prices for delivery. Catalogue price is approx 4-5euro, actual price with delivery etc = 16euro. Plus no super saver option on this item either:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Enii wrote: »
    I know this is of no help to you for this year - but I start buying for Santa in January. It really helps me when December comes around! Maybe you could give this a go for 2010.

+1

This is the only way I can budget and afford for Santa & Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I got a load of Hannah Montana stuff in Smyths that was reduced.
    Hannah Montana Pillow Diary - €13
    HM Chair €13
    High school musical electronic diary €13
    HM wig €7
    HM microphone under a tenner I think
    Hm watch under a tenner
    There's a HM dance mat reduced to €19 I think.I didn't get it but looked at it.

I got a few small stocking fillers too of colours and knick knacks.Will top it all off with a selection box and a few books.Total of less than €100. I only have the one child so thats why I spend it.
    Every other year we've spent €400 plus.

Wrapped all the pressies and she has a nice pile but it cost a lot less than I'd usually spend.

I got my nephews a skateboard each for €6 in Smyths and I'm "regifting" a cool pressie my daughter got last year and never played with to my niece. The other nieces are getting books. Cheap books.

Best thing to do is decide exactly what you can spend and then sit down with the catalogue and make a list.

• Advertisement

Lidel today: Hello Kitty interactive puzzle in for 9euro. Nice little thing, put the puzzle together then use an interactive pen to interact with the puzzle.

Amazon: Handy tip.... order 25pounds worth of stuff or above (make sure each item ismarked with 'Super saver delivery available) Then on the checkout page select the super saver delivery option... whalla! loads of nice little toys at cheap prices for free delivery. Did it today and got loads of gear for the kids:).

Ill just update ye on my panic.

I decided panic over !

Santa is bringing one toy each.
    Minime wants a bike, little man wants lego. Both agreed santy bringing 1 thing & they asked my mum & sis for one other thing each that they really wanted. Im not doing gifts. I decided were going all "american", kids now think were posh & were baking cookies. In the back of my press I found some celtic tiger crap ( you know the stuff you buy & toss it in the back of the press) I found cookie cutters. I found a roll of florists cellofane & some ribbon from last year so everyone is getting posh cookies lol.
    I then decided to get out all the baby photos & scanned them in & made a lovely DVD to music I might add. Found a stack of unopened DVDs & burned them all. DVD to everyone.
    I then was in dads today. he recycles all the stuff in the graveyard ie pots & baskets from the skip, paints them, plants flowers in them & then sells them at the church fete etc to raise funds for the church. So "borrowed" a ton of baskets. Found a box of hyacinth bulbs in the shed. So everyone is now getting a potted hyacinth from the kiddies. Found tons of ribbon " posh celtic tiger" ribbon aswell so they are all pretty & look like they come from one of those " posh eco celtic tiger shops".
    We then got out the arts & crafts box... I have shares I think in posh hobby shops. So we made cards for everyone. & guess what .............they looked like posh celtic tiger cards....

Do you know what - The kids had a ball today doing all this... They think I am the deadliset ( & poshist) ma in the whole wide world !! & I feel better for it - no stress, not worry will someone like their gift. If they dont like it they are evil !!

But I tell you one thing I did learn today...... I may have gotten nothing from this celtic tiger ............ but I certainly got/bought enough crap in my presses to get me through another 10 scabby christmas's....:D:p:D:p:D

hi all a few more bits and pieces in aldi this thurs including simpsons dvds for older kids regards brian

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_11399.htm

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_11431.htm

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_11373.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Other years we've done ok, no expensive toys were ever asked for, and we managed to pick up good deals on things. This year we got caught out. Our trying to find out what they'd like, led them to fixate on an expensive toy. By waiting till last minute its actually dropped by a 3rd in sale. But its a lesson learnt, we'll not actually ask them again, and avoid going into toy shops, catalogues coming up to Xmas. They get surprises in future. Ours have a habit of changing their minds last minute and often too.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I agree the 2 euro shops are great for things like colouring books and stocking fillers to make a little go a long way. Smaller kids really dont care once theres 'stuff' there. In our house santa doesnt bring huge gifts anyway and always they are a surprise.

I just want to recommend www.portablenorthpole.tv to anyone who has kids of santa age. You upload the kids details and a photo and Santa gets back to them by email. All free.* I got videos sent to my two 4 and 7, and they were totally stunned by it. The 7yo particularly was blown away by Santa talking directly to him. :)

*I have no vested interest in this, I just think its a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Thanks for all the great tips guys. This year in our house Santa is certainly being more frugal, but that is probably a good thing :rolleyes:

He always wraps our kids presents - and I was doing that yesterday and discovered that the youngest had a grand total of 4 little gifts - and ok so one was a MP3 player - but even still Santa had never left that few gifts before :eek:

So me & DH did a mad rush over to Charlestown SC in Finglas - where there is a brilliant value Book Shop. We picked up some paint by numbers sets - 4 & 5 euro - books 2 for 5 euro - a craft set for only 4 euro. Add to that a new hello kitty duvet cover 18 in dunnes - a dressing gown 10 in heatons - and a wee hello kitty bag 4 in dunnes. And we have a decent looking pile now!

As she is the last 'believer' in our house, and we think this will be her last year - it was important to me that Christmas continued to 'look' like other years.

After the last two budgets - our household income will drop by around 400 from next month on - so we are facing a more frugal year again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think its important to have a running tot of everything you buy, as all the small stuff ads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Tesco have some good deals at the moment. I got a couple of "My Scene" dolls for 6.99 each - they are about 12" tall and come with loads of bits'n'bobs. Possibly not suitable for v. young kids but great for 7+ year olds.

Thanks a mil everyone -Got Clips & bobboins in Penny's on Sat to pop in -

A friend also advised to wrap all the stocking fillers. She said put loads of tape on them so it takes them ages to open & they think they got tons as it took them so long to open them.extends present opening by ages lol.... She did that for years when she was struggling.... So rounded up wrapping paper from mum & sis & did them all.

You know what ....I think they are going to appreciate things much better this year.

Oh yeah - I did the cookies... They taste exactly like the butter ones you buy in the tins in the supermarket... Gorgeous - so if anyone wants the recipe shout !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Listen OP you have to put things in perspective, there will be many people like yourself in the same boat this year regarding presents.

Myself I went for cheap stuff as well, but it still looks good. I have cut back a lot.

Advertisement