Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Q&A with Gerry Adams (postponed into New Year) - your questions please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

if you managed to get a one country ireland tomorrow,would you still expect the british tax payer to keep on bailing out the north ?or woud you expect the southern part to put up the money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

When is he going to retire?

He seems to be the only "El-Presidente-for-life" of any Irish political party.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

We all know, or at least we all think we know about how well Martin McGuinness and Ian Paisley seemed to get on when working together in The Assembely. What was/is your realtionship with Dr. Paisley like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

DeVore wrote: »
    Finally, to the person who said we shouldnt be giving them a platform... its an extremely dangerous road to go down to say that a public political figure shouldnt be allowed air time. I think we tried the "oxygen of publicity" before and it didnt get us far.

DeV.

Airtime isn't a right, it is a benefit. There is no obligation, moral or otherwise, for democratic parties to give parties opposed to the basics of the democratic system, a benefit that could aid in damage to the democratic system.

In the case of SF, they were left on the fringes until they started finally to abandon violence. Once they did, they got airtime and their support increased...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

theboss80 wrote: »
    Does he think we will see a united Ireland in OUR lifetime? If yes then how?

...and "why".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

How do you think Northern Ireland would be different today had the republican movement never resorted to violence and had stuck to purely peaceful and political means?

Also
    Have you considered ending Sinn Fein's policy of abstentionism in the UK Parliament so that you can use the position of power to help the republican cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I wouldn't bother with the Jerry McCabe or death of 2050 questions, they've been asked these hundreds of times, we'd just get the usual rhetoric and would be a waste of a question.

So far I like the abstension question from blisterman and drunkmonkey's question on making the south competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TripleXXX

Gerry, what do you think of the bribes in brown paper bags corrupt state we have ?

Do you think it's the grossest hypocrisy the attention the Jerry McCabe case gets while the murder of Ritchie Barron is ignored by the same quaters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Ask Gerry what he thinks of Scotland's independence plans?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1130/breaking55.htm

Does this open a doorway for the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I would like to ask what the turning point was. When did SF/IRA realise that the only way for progress was through the ballot box and not the gun?

I would also like to ask how he expects to keep the nationalist agenda alive when people in Northern Ireland, Nationalist and unionists, have an ever improving standard of living, free health care/prescriptions etc. and the only real difference now between living in the north and the south is that living in the north means you don't have to drive as far to do your weekly shopping. In other words, if people are content, have a good standard of living and have the freedom to live as they wish, how important in real terms is unification...and why?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

View wrote: »
    Airtime isn't a right, it is a benefit. There is no obligation, moral or otherwise, for democratic parties to give parties opposed to the basics of the democratic system, a benefit that could aid in damage to the democratic system.

In the case of SF, they were left on the fringes until they started finally to abandon violence. Once they did, they got airtime and their support increased...
    Sorry, I should have said "peaceful political representatives"... sorry, I just took that as read.

If you espouse violence, I dont believe you should be included in the workings of civilised people.

Lets keep the questions coming, some good ones here.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I wouldn't bother with the Jerry McCabe or death of 2050 questions, they've been asked these hundreds of times, we'd just get the usual rhetoric and would be a waste of a question.

It's not a "waste of a question"; if we stop asking it just because he's not man enough to answer, then it's HIS fault, not ours.

If he refuses to answer yet again, then that's an answer in itself; a two-fingers to the public and the forces of law and order.

It's in SF's own hands to stop giving the two fingers to us; the question is whether they'll take the opportunity and leave their disgraceful past behind them.

If not, then it's business as usual for voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

DeVore wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have said "peaceful political representatives"... sorry, I just took that as read.

If you espouse violence, I dont believe you should be included in the workings of civilised people.

I trust all supporters of the war against Iraq, Afghanistan and those that support direct action against Iran are included in that, or is it just Republicans that get to wear a special badge?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think there is a qualitative difference between SF and Labour in that regard... one waged a war for 30 years against anyone who defied (or even appeared to oppose) them. The other took their country into an (illegitimate imho) war and who will answer to their electorate for it.

There is an excellent discussion to be had around the difference between the two and I'll be happy to have it... on a different thread. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Q. Does Mr Adams think it is now time for the IRA to announce were all the bodies of the dissapeared lay, before the generation with the knowledge finally ceases.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It's not a "waste of a question"; if we stop asking it just because he's not man enough to answer, then it's HIS fault, not ours.

If he refuses to answer yet again, then that's an answer in itself; a two-fingers to the public and the forces of law and order.

It's in SF's own hands to stop giving the two fingers to us; the question is whether they'll take the opportunity and leave their disgraceful past behind them.

If not, then it's business as usual for voters.

Its been asked and answered so many times the publics made up their mind where they stand on the SF response.

Good question from Fratton Fred about keeping the nationalist aspiration alive.

Also like the mention of the Scottish independence news. Would put it to him - "if an independent scotland was to lead to a break up of the union what would it mean for Northern ireland?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

1. Do you feel that the last 10 years have yielded any progress towards a united Ireland?

2. What will happen when eventually an irreconcilable stumbling block is reached within the executive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Would he consider running for President of Ireland in 2011 (I think!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Its been asked and answered so many times the publics made up their mind where they stand on the SF response.

It hasn't been "answered", at least not to most people's satisfaction.

The day that Adams & Co can answer that with the same view as normal, law-abiding citizens without resorting to bull**** and whataboutery is the day they'll have turned a corner.

Yes, we could take his previous answer as the definitive one, and shun him and his like appropriately, but giving him another opportunity to realise that this is a show-stopper and see the error of his allegiances and loyalty is fair enough.

And if it still shows him as a scumbag who puts criminals and thugs before people and law-enforcement, we can then vote accordingly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think thats the problem. He could write an encyclopedia about it yet that would not be enough for some people. Best to look ahead rather than in the past.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »

The day that Adams & Co can answer that with the same view as normal, law-abiding citizens without resorting to bull**** and whataboutery is the day they'll have turned a corner.

Yes, we could take his previous answer as the definitive one, and shun him and his like appropriately, but giving him another opportunity to realise that this is a show-stopper and see the error of his allegiances and loyalty is fair enough.

And if it still shows him as a scumbag who puts criminals and thugs before people and law-enforcement, we can then vote accordingly.

I think most of us do vote accordingly already. I know I do. They're not fooling anyone with their whataboutery - everyone knows they simply don't condemn it. THe ones who aren't bothered by this continue to vote for them, the rest of us don't. Therefore I think its at best unproductive to ask Gerry about it. And at worst leading people to overlook it because it sounds tired. By continuing to focus solely on it also creates a hierarchy of victims and it certainly wouldn't be the worst attrocity the PIRA have committed. Think La mon, Shankill bombing, kingsmill etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Can you explain your meetings with Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and attending Barack Obama's inaugeration and met with Israeli war criminals while you oppose all of their invasions into the country and also claim to be a pro life party (in relation to Obama who has given extreme promotion to abortion and easing these services in US)?

Also, why hasn't their been devolution of the PSNI, as promised in the peace process? They still carry arms and use plastic bullets. How close are you to acheiving the PSNI don't carry arms or plastic bullets?

PomBear wrote: »
    Can you explain your meetings with Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and attending Barack Obama's inaugeration and met with Israeli war criminals while you oppose all of their invasions into the country and also claim to be a pro life party (in relation to Obama who has given extreme promotion to abortion and easing these services in US)?

He's gonna answer that with "i'll talk to anyone", and he does, he met with hamas recently which pissed the israelis off.
    Also, why hasn't their been devolution of the PSNI, as promised in the peace process? They still carry arms and use plastic bullets. How close are you to acheiving the PSNI don't carry arms or plastic bullets?

Ah come on, they have no choice but to carry arms. Would be ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

They're not fooling anyone with their whataboutery - everyone knows they simply don't condemn it. THe ones who aren't bothered by this continue to vote for them, the rest of us don't. Therefore I think its at best unproductive to ask Gerry about it. And at worst leading people to overlook it because it sounds tired. By continuing to focus solely on it also creates a hierarchy of victims and it certainly wouldn't be the worst attrocity the PIRA have committed. Think La mon, Shankill bombing, kingsmill etc
    The refusal of Sinn Fein to condemn the murder of Jerry McCabe is not simply a cynical ploy used by people to attack republicans. Sinn Fein insist that they are a fully constitutional party and as such they must support this state, and in particular the men and women who serve to protect this state. If they cannot say, retrospectively, that it was wrong that an attack on such a defender occurred and also that it was wrong that they did not and do not condemn such an attack, then it is perfectly reasonable that folk would be suspicious of their true motives.

Gerry Adams eh? Talk about forgotten but not gone! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Hypothetical Question
    If the UK had run a referendum on Lisbon (after Ireland had ratified it), how would Sinn Fein have advised people in the North to vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Why were Jerry McCabe and Ben O'Sullivan attacked in Adare?

Do you know the answer and cannot tell us or are you still wondering yourself?

Do you think those responsible will provide an explanation at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

He's gonna answer that with "i'll talk to anyone", and he does, he met with hamas recently which pissed the israelis off.

Ah come on, they have no choice but to carry arms. Would be ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Yes because he pledges solidarity to palestine like all shinners do

If you look into the amount of deaths the PSNI have caused through carrying arms, you might think different. Gardaí don't carry arms and Belfast is safer than Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

1) Does he think the Republic of Ireland and France game should have been replayed?

2) In light of the news that the widow of the murdered community worker Kevin McDaid has been forced to flee her home by Loyalist paramilitaries, does he believe enough pressure is being put on Loyalist communties to clamp down on sectarian violence in northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Mr Adams, why did you never join the IRA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Folks, I am really really sorry, but tomorrow's event (and therefore the Q&A) has been postponed :(
    I regret to inform you that we have just been advised that Sinn Fein President, Gerry Adams, has postponed tomorrow's Legends In Your Lunchtime event, due to suspected swine flu.

The event will be rescheduled for early in the New Year. I will advise you when we have confirmed a new date and priority booking will be given to those who have booked in for tomorrow's event.

Sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Best wishes
    Emma

Keep the thread open if you want to but I'll be back to look for questions in the new year.

Quite disappointed personally but there you go!

Darragh

Advertisement