Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

criminals getting out early for good behavour

• 29-11-2009 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Why do criminals get out of prison for good behavour ?? I know someone who is the lowest of the low who has been locked up before for murder and beating up childdren for no reason. He is now getting out 2 years early for good behavour. Why should people like him be let out early for good behavour. What does that say for the victims of their crime.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

that good behaviour annoys me. They are giving a sentence based on bad behaviour in the first place. Dont understand how a murderer/pedo etc get out early for being good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Firstlly let's clarify the exact position: Remission in the Irish prison system usually equates 25% of a sentence, so if a prisoner is sentenced to 8 years, they will normally serve 6 years if they are of good behaviour during their term of imprisonment.

Now, a couple of very important factors to remember;
    i) Judges know that 25% of their sentence will be remitted, so if they want a prisoner to serve 6 years, they'll sentence them to 8 years instead.
    ii) More importantly, unless this system operated it would be an awful lot harder for Prison Officers to control prisoners and make them comply with prison rules. In fact, this is main reason for the rules relating to remission, that is to say that to offer the 'carrot and stick' method of control i.e. time of your sentence for behaving yourself, to make the prisoners more orderly for the benefit of the staff. On the other hand, if the prisoner is not of good behaviour they serve the entire sentence without remission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

nothing to do with Dublin City

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement