Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drink Driving...DO YOU DO IT ? ? ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sleepeee

drkpower wrote: »
    I think a lot of people younger than 30ish are probably not aware of the extent to which drink driving was accepted, even tolerated in the very very recent past.

I certainly did a few times a (good) few years ago and many of my peers would have done the same. It wasnt widespread by any means but it was something that wasnt considered to be as outrageous as it is now. It also seems to be still fairly commonplace in the States.

Of course, it is a blooody good thing that its social acceptability has been well and truly ended here to the point that even suggesting you do it earns the tag of troll!! But, noone should be fooled into believing that there are not many many people who still do it. It is a bit like smoking in someone's house; noone would dream of that now, but 10 years ago, you would light up without even asking permission. Just shows how societal change can be rappid.

The same unders 30ish are anti drink driving for all the right moral reasons, but my parents friends from the local in a country town only stopped driving home from the pub when one of them got caught by the guards one night. :(.

At least they stopped I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Amazing that no-one has made the distinction between legally drinking & driving ( 2 - 3 pints) and driving drunk.

Driving after one or two, well under the legal limit : yes.
    Driving drunk : no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

SV wrote: »
    lol, I can't believe in this day and age there's people who will openly admit to drink driving

I'm not being funny here but I would rather people talk about it rather than lie or stay silent, at least in some cases you get a chance to change or alter their viewpoint. If people say nothing and just do it you lose that opportunity. It may only work with a few but at least there is that chance, we have to accept that no matter what is right or wrong, some people will always engage in that behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

I think a lot of people younger than 30ish are probably not aware of the extent to which drink driving was accepted, even tolerated in the very very recent past.

Quiet right, I remember stories that my granddad and uncle used to tell me, about going to the Isle of Man with their motorbikes and huge groups of friends, Getting absolutely wasted and driving in groups at high speeds around the island cause it was the `done thing` to do while on holidays there. Guards n all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I don't have a problem with anyone having one or 2 and driving home as long as they don't act the ape along the way. It's perfectly legal and should stay that way.
    I've more of an issue with middle lane drivers (as they can't even drive properly sober) than I do with the farmer having a few pints in the country.

Good post!

I started driving in an era when drink-driving wasn't an issue at all.
    Needless to say, I often did it & all my mates who had cars did too, as we lived in a rural area.

Sometimes I think there's an awful lot of hysteria these days about this, smoking & other 'elf 'n sayftey issues.

On the other hand though, as a parent myself now, it's good to know that young people these days don't find drunken driving acceptable.

I wouldn't fancy the idea of any kid of mine risking their neck by getting into a car with a drunk-driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It's a very real issue in the country (drink driving). People can talk all they like about blood alcohol levels etc but nothing will change unless you have 1) proper policing and 2) sustainable alternatives as in public transport and the availability of taxis. In terms of pubs and niteclubs when you have hundreds of people coming out on the streets at the same time it's no wonder people say fcuk it and drive home. I'm not condoning it but its a very real issue.

I look to my own town at home. I could safely say that if you wanted to and had the will to, you could drive out of the town on any saturday night, with your fill of drink and drive your car home. In the 10 or so years I've been out and about in pubs etc, I've never seen one garda checkpoint in the town late on a Saturday night breathalyzing people, even at christmas time. TBH I could say the same of probably hundreds of similar towns and villages around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I do it,but only on wet days!Everyone knows that the garda only do policing on fair weather days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i dont even drive the day after drinking

the locust wrote: »
    You would rather drink drive than walk 2 miles? (shakes head) Is 2 miles really out of the question? My grandfathers generation thought nothing of walking 5 - 10 miles at night home from the pub

My Grandad had a bike, he was probably an even bigger danger than if he'd had a car! 30 years ago I used to drive after 3 pints, no problem out in the sticks only met a copper once, he looked at me and decided I didn't look drunk enough to test.

How times have changed! wouldn't even consider driving now.

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    Yeah the thing is drug driving appears to be more pervalent in the under 30s though I may be prejudiced as I encounter a lot of it.

I remember my dad used to drive home from work every night after four or five pints, very few thought anything of it at the time.

However, just to be clear I condone neither, before the troll accusations come.

I must be of a similar age to your dad so, we also had a bar at the place I used to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Odysseus wrote: »
    What I would be curious about is how many people here would said no, would drive after a joint, based upon previous threads there are quite a few people here who use recreational drugs, so what the story on that one.

Do people drive after they have taken something other than alcohol?
    I personally wouldn't drive on psychoactives of any kind, though I reckon a low dose of stimulants could actually improve your abilities. I have a friend who smokes spliffs in the car all the time and thinks nothing of it, and from what I gather there are plenty of others out there with a similar mindset. Weed doesn't impair your judgement to the same extent as alcohol but it's still completely unsuitable for drving I think getting behind the wheel when you're blazed is very irresponsible.

If a real concerted effort is going to be made on the issue of drink driving, the availability of proper testing machines in places like pubs should be promoted. In fact if I was a publican I'd have such a machine in my premises without having a second thought about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't drive on psychoactives of any kind, though I reckon a low dose of stimulants could actually improve your abilities. I have a friend who smokes spliffs in the car all the time and thinks nothing of it, and from what I gather there are plenty of others out there with a similar mindset. Weed doesn't impair your judgement to the same extent as alcohol but it's still completely unsuitable for drving I think getting behind the wheel when you're blazed is very irresponsible.

I'm on a bike at the time so I see a lot of people smoking a spliff whilst I'm moving through traffic, amost applying make, making calls, reading papers, some of the stuff is crazy. However, back to the point drug driving does appear to be more acceptable for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Never have and never will.

The drivers likely to drink and drive are usually some of the worst while sober and drink definitley does not help their driving skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've had a few pints and drove in the past.

I'd still chance two pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

If the same question was asked say 8-10 years ago I think you'd get a very different response. It's hard to believe how common it was only a few years ago (people totally pissed too). It's just a no-go now and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Never have but i'd really like to have a go.. in a safe environment where nobody can get hurt except myself of course, like a race track maybe. What about a drunk motor race?? all the competitors must consume at least 10 pints before taking part :D would be hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Can someone explain to me how a guy i know ,had 7/8 pints after work one evening

Gets into his van and is pulled up by an unmarked garda car two mins later

Hes asked to blow into the breathalyzer and it comes up just under the limit

Apparently the garda and himself was shocked ,so off he goes home

BTW hes mid 50s approx 5ft 8 and approx 17 stone ,oh and that night when he got home he picked up his wife and went out again in his car and thought to himself "sure the chances of getting stopped twice on the one night is nil"

DICKHEAD!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The drivers likely to drink and drive are usually some of the worst while sober

Any facts to back up this ridiculous generalisation ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

My licence is far too important to me to risk it. I have never wanted a drink that much that I would actually risk not being able to drive for the next x number of years for it.

Plus, I am a lightweight. If I had one drink in me, I would notice it. And I would be afraid of it affecting my driving.

My rule is, I will not drive the same day I have been drinking. As in, if I have a glass of wine with my lunch at one o clock, I wouldn't drive for the rest of the day. Unnecessary, I know, but if I needed to drive that evening I'd just plan to not drink that day ... not very difficult. It's not like I'd often be drinking during the day anyways!!

As for the next day ... if I was having a few drinks (i.e. less than five) I'd drive after midday the next day. Any more than five, I wouldn't drive at all the day after. If I knew I had to drive somewhere the next day, I'd make a point of not drinking more than five.

Paranoid? Maybe. The fact is, I take driving as a huge responsibility. I never want to be in the position of causing an accident. And I will do everything in my power to prevent that. I can only hope that the other drivers that I meet on the road do the same.

• Advertisement

As far as I'm concerned 2 pints of beer does not greatly impair your judgement in terms of driving. I hold my hands up here and say that I've often drank no more than 2 pints and drove home when I've been down the country. It might be spaced over 2 hours or so but TBH I've felt no different than the minute I stepped inside the pub sober. Put that's probably due to the fact that I've always had a good feed of food before I've gone out. It's when someone takes it upon themselves to go beyond that and drive home is where the issues lie. As I've said its a real issue particularily in the countryside when you might not see a Garda from one week to the next. As I've said in a previous post, my experience of policing in my area would lead people to hop in their car without having any consequence. Something has to change if we are going to make in roads to solving this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Any facts to back up this ridiculous generalisation ? :rolleyes:
    Its not completely unfounded.

Driving while drunk is pretty irresponsible, irresponsible drivers are rarely good drivers.

Why are you so indignant anyway? Do you drink and drive regularly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Once drove home after 2 pints. Never been so terrified in my life. Never again.

stepbar wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned 2 pints of beer does not greatly impair your judgement in terms of driving. I hold my hands up here and say that I've often drank no more than 2 pints and drove home when I've been down the country. It might be spaced over 2 hours or so but TBH I've felt no different than the minute I stepped inside the pub sober. It's when someone takes it upon themselves to go beyond that and drive home. As I've said its a real issue particularily in the country side when you might not see a Garda from one week to the next. As I've said in a previous post, my experience of policing in my area would lead people to hop in their car without having any consequence. Something has to change if we are going to make in roads to solving this problem.

But what I don't get is ... do you really want those two pints that much that you'd actually risk it?

Would it not be just handier to either (a) go on the beer properly or (b) just not drink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

My licence is far too important to me to risk it. I have never wanted a drink that much that I would actually risk not being able to drive for the next x number of years for it.

Plus, I am a lightweight. If I had one drink in me, I would notice it. And I would be afraid of it affecting my driving.

My rule is, I will not drive the same day I have been drinking. As in, if I have a glass of wine with my lunch at one o clock, I wouldn't drive for the rest of the day. Unnecessary, I know, but if I needed to drive that evening I'd just plan to not drink that day ... not very difficult. It's not like I'd often be drinking during the day anyways!!

As for the next day ... if I was having a few drinks (i.e. less than five) I'd drive after midday the next day. Any more than five, I wouldn't drive at all the day after. If I knew I had to drive somewhere the next day, I'd make a point of not drinking more than five.

Paranoid? Maybe. The fact is, I take driving as a huge responsibility. I never want to be in the position of causing an accident. And I will do everything in my power to prevent that. I can only hope that the other drivers that I meet on the road do the same.

No point in being silly about it!

Do you have the same tolerance level for driving when you are a little bit tired.....or stressed...?
    Obviously driving with alcohol on board is not a good idea but there are many other things that affect driving ability and taking things to an extreme level re: alcohol is a little silly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

gramlab wrote: »
    Speed is a problem - Not being able to drive at speed safely is an even bigger one.

Any sort of speed + drink = twat

but the speed kinda cancels out the booze, the trick is to balance it out.:D

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Amazing that no-one has made the distinction between legally drinking & driving ( 2 - 3 pints) and driving drunk.

Driving after one or two, well under the legal limit : yes.
    Driving drunk : no.

That has always being the hardest conclusion to make, 79.9 OK 80.0 drunk -"you're nicked" one years ban end of... the line is rigid and unyealding, in the old daya (& currently still in the UK ) the cops would only stop you if they thought "sonething fishy here". some drivers are iffy stone cold sober and would be stopped and brethalysed, others who could drive would pass any US style sobriety test would fail a test based on an absolute limit.

Too many here still have a black and white outlook on life!

If a real concerted effort is going to be made on the issue of drink driving, the availability of proper testing machines in places like pubs should be promoted. In fact if I was a publican I'd have such a machine in my premises without having a second thought about it.

One of the local pubs has a minibus on standby on certain nights.

Great idea!!!!

Last time I went to that pub I used it and got the car the next day! :) ( wher's th drunk smiley)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

we need to start thinking outside the box here people..

how about legalising drink driving after midnight at weekends or something..

sort of like consentual drink driving if you like, cars could be retro-fitted with giant airbags in front in case a pedestrian gets in the way

Do you have the same tolerance level for driving when you are a little bit tired.....or stressed...?
    Obviously driving with alcohol on board is not a good idea but there are many other things that affect driving ability and taking things to an extreme level re: alcohol is a little silly.

Oh believe me, I do!

If I know I'm going to have a hard week at work, I'll make a point of getting the train home after. I can honestly say that, if I was driving tired, I would call someone to collect me and I would leave my car at the side of the road. I seriously, seriously would!

I know somebody who has died in a car accident. Well I know a few, but I'm thinking of one in particular. He was the driver and the only person who was hurt. And he died instantly. A silly, silly little misjudgement on his part ... one that anybody could make.

Whatever about my own life - which I do value - I'm certainly not going to count on my judgment alone when I'm taking other peoples' lives into account. So I'm just not going to take chances when driving. As far as I'm concerned, that's my responsibility. As a driver.

• Advertisement

Your making that up for the thread, and maybe a few 'thanks' right?.

I can't believe for a moment that someone could be that uptight.

I refuse to believe that yo uwouldn't drive anytime during the next day if you'd comsumed five pints the previous!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

You should send an email to your local politician asking him how the hauliers in this country are regulated. It's farcical compared to the UK and the rest of Europe (like a lot of things).

I refuse to believe that yo uwouldn't drive anytime during the next day if you'd comsumed five pints the previous!.

I am being totally serious!

It probably helps that I never usually "need" to drive; plenty of my friends and family members do.

I actually am that "uptight". Except I wouldn't necessarily see it as such ... like, either I'm drinking (and not driving the next day), or I'm not! Simple as that.

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how a guy i know ,had 7/8 pints after work one evening

Gets into his van and is pulled up by an unmarked garda car two mins later

Hes asked to blow into the breathalyzer and it comes up just under the limit

Apparently the garda and himself was shocked ,so off he goes home

BTW hes mid 50s approx 5ft 8 and approx 17 stone ,
    Body mass/alcohol ratio and time taken to drink + food taken, I've also known people to pass the breath test just like that!

I am being totally serious!

It probably helps that I never usually "need" to drive; plenty of my friends and family members do.

I actually am that "uptight". Except I wouldn't necessarily see it as such ... like, either I'm drinking (and not driving the next day), or I'm not! Simple as that.

Ok, but tbh with ya ... it wouldn't be me.

But what I don't get is ... do you really want those two pints that much that you'd actually risk it?

Would it not be just handier to either (a) go on the beer properly or (b) just not drink?

Look, I go into the pub to watch a soccer match for argument sake. I might bring in a friend and we'll have a sociable pint or two and go home afterwards. I don't want to go on the "lash". I might do that later minus the car. The point is that as far as I'm concerned 2 pints has no effect on me. 2 pints on someone else may make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I don't think this makes much sense to anyone other than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

After a glass of wine or bottle of beer I will drive. I would never have any more though and I would never gulp it down.

If I have a right skinful I won't drive the next day until at least the evening and that's only if I really need to.

Body mass/alcohol ratio and time taken to drink + food taken, I've also known people to pass the breath test just like that!

I'd probably be the same.

I'm 6'2'' and 18st. I'm touch typing in the dark after my ninth can of Guinness and two pints in the local earlier and still feeling pretty straight (DAMMIT).

Worst side effect I'll have tonight or early morning is waking for a piss at 4am and cursing the gargle I had earlier.

• Advertisement

Ok, but tbh with ya ... it wouldn't be me.
    Look, I go into the pub to watch a soccer match for argument sake. I might bring in a friend and we'll have a sociable pint or two and go home afterwards. I don't want to go on the "lash". I might do that later minus the car. The point is that as far as I'm concerned 2 pints has no effect on me. 2 pints on someone else may make a difference.
    Pace2008 wrote: »
    I don't think this makes much sense to anyone other than you.

That's all fair enough! But to be honest, if I have one drink - even only half a pint - I do feel it on me, and I do feel it would affect my judgment when driving.

Therefore, for my own conscience, I couldn't ever possibly drive with any drink at all on me.

And I'm well aware that I do take it to extremes. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm taking it to extremes in the right direction. And I'm happy with that!

To be honest, I'd much rather just go out and get hammered and not be worried about the next day! Rather than go out and have a few and be freaking out all the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Back in 2001, myself & 3 pals drove from New York to Los Angeles.

Coast to Coast.

We called our car the BVG, (beer guided vehicle).:eek:

No harm done to anybody.

One thing that is missing from this discussion has been how to define the limit, in some countries there is "randon breath testing" like here for example, all traffic is stopped and all drivers are tested (or checked for alcohol on the breath) other countries (UK for example) will stop drivers who are doing "something wrong" then breath test them.

Some countries (the US, can't think who else) will stop drivers who are doing "something wrong" then give them a sobierty test!

Such a test would test your abilities to perform simple tasks that are directly related to your competance behind the wheel, these tasks (apparently) determine whether you can safely drive a car. they do not take the amount of alcohol in your breath at the time of being stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'd be the same tbh

I've heard too many stories of people being arrested for being over the limit the next morning to take any chances. I would at least have a breakfast and lunch/dinner in me, as well as plenty of water and self assurance that any feeling of a hangover is gone before I drive anywhere

I'd be the same tbh

I've heard too many stories of people being arrested for being over the limit the next morning to take any chances. I would at least have a breakfast and lunch/dinner in me, as well as plenty of water and self assurance that any feeling of a hangover is gone before I drive anywhere

But Caterpillar said he wouldn't drive the next day after five pints!.

You'd have to be the heavy weight champion of Bangladesh for five pints to have had that effect on you the next day!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

why not? i said the same thing earlier in the thread

if ive been drinking the day before i dont drive

• Advertisement

Tonight I've had 4 cans of nice cool Carlsberg. Could I drive? I'd say I could. Would I do it? No, not in a month of Sunday's. The point is that trying to compare drink tolerances amongst different types of people is beyond retarded. I just wish I had a breathalizer testing machine on me at the moment and was able to read the results to the forum. I'd say I wouldn't be far beyond the limit TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

But Caterpillar said he wouldn't drive the next day after five pints!.

You'd have to be the heavy weight champion of Bangladesh for five pints to have had that effect on you the next day!.

Afaik, chatterpillar is a she, so 5 pints is more likely to affect her worse than you :P

I only drink 2-3 weeks so don't have much hangover tolerance to speak of, so 5 pints to me (6ft, med build) is enough to give me a nasty hangover at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i drive the following morning.... probably shouldn't.

Afaik, chatterpillar is a she, so 5 pints is more likely to affect her worse than you :P

Now that would probably make a difference.

Cat. have a good ol' Chinese then a breakfast roll next morning and your good to go :P

/like's a girl who's a pint drinker!.

I only drink 2-3 weeks so don't have much hangover tolerance to speak of, so 5 pints to me (6ft, med build) is enough to give me a nasty hangover at times

Do you know what? Many a night I've had my fill of between 8 - 10 pints of good Guinness and have never had a hangover... plenty of flatulation the next day but I rarely have proper hangovers like I had back in the student days when my beer of choice was Bulmers :eek:

Could I drive home? Probably but I never would, NEVER.

• Advertisement
Advertisement