Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drink Driving...DO YOU DO IT ? ? ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I have done it most of my life but always on like an avenue used only by own family and some other people that you cant go above about 15mph anyway because of pot holes. When youre doing it on a road like that, Bruce blaring out the open windows at 4am, you know, it can kind of be fun!
    When I was seventeen my Dad used to park the jeep and the end of the road for me to get home. It was always quite the rollercoaster of nerves going downstairs in the morning to see if I had driven it back in one peice or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Nah I'd never do it.

Far too risky, the punishment and risk of anything happening doesn't equal out. If I drank drove home every night, saved on taxis for 20 years etc etc, even one mistake nullifies any advantage ever gained from it.

Prison, a fine, loss of my license, a mark on the rest of my life in any job or visas, I'd find it hard to cope and it'd make my life hell, but killing someone else or injuring someone badly, there's no way could never live with myself or ever enjoy life knowing what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Degag wrote: »
    The mind boggles if you think that driving at 160 km/h is not slightly dangerous.

It's not dangerous.. Not even in the slightest. I doubt you'd even notice a difference if the motorway signs said 160.

omahaid wrote: »
    I would **** myself if I was in a car with someone driving at 250km/h.

Sorry if this is a double post but mobile won't let me multiquote.

Anyway, I really doubt you'd be that afraid.. With no cars around and on an empty motorway it's quite normal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

SV wrote: »
    It's not dangerous.. Not even in the slightest. I doubt you'd even notice a difference if the motorway signs said 160.

Regardless of the accuracy (or otherwise) of your assertion that it is safe to drive at 160 or 250 kph on a motorway, the vast vast majority of accidents caused by speed or drink are on national or lesser roads. So the safety of speed or alcohol + driving needs to be assessed on those roads, not on motorways.

The point about alcohol and speed is that it lessens the drivers ability to react in any given situation. So neither is safe. The argument as to which is more dangerous is a long, but ultimately irrelevent one. But to suggest that increased speed does not have any impact on the relative danger of driving is utterly stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mopachop

hi people, i few months back i was caught drug driving but i was smoking legal weed so the gardai gave me a drug test and a few weeks later i got a letter saying there was cannabis in my system it didnt show how much i smoked illegal weed about a week before they gave me the drug test.will i still get the same charges as smokin illegal weed?...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

mopachop wrote: »
    will i still get the same charges as smokin illegal weed?...:confused:

Firstly, what's "legal weed" ?

I'd hope you'd get more; smoking something illegal is one crime; driving after smoking it, putting lives in danger, is another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Sorry if this is a double post but mobile won't let me multiquote.

Anyway, I really doubt you'd be that afraid.. With no cars around and on an empty motorway it's quite normal..

Your logic is astonishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

or lack thereof

im sorry legal cannabis then, i know it is foolish and i truly regret smoking the stuff but need to know will i still get the same charges?..

• Advertisement

Because there's always cars around or?

My point there was you don't even notice the speed in certain conditions so I highly doubt he'd be that afraid.

im sorry legal cannabis then

I knew that's what you meant, but since when is any cannibas legal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Never. I can feel a difference in myself after even one drink, so I know my reactions would be dulled. Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Liam Byrne wrote: »

I think he might be referring to some of the stuff you can buy in the head shops.

dvpower wrote: »
    I think he might be referring to some of the stuff you can buy in the head shops.
    That'd make sense..

I'd say he'll still get charged the same..if the effects it has on you is the same then there's no real reason he shouldn't be charged the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

News to me.. medicinal, maybe? Cancer patient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

hi people, i few months back i was caught drug driving but i was smoking legal weed so the gardai gave me a drug test and a few weeks later i got a letter saying there was cannabis in my system it didnt show how much i smoked illegal weed about a week before they gave me the drug test.will i still get the same charges as smokin illegal weed?...:confused:

Probably, but best to speak to a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

This?

legal cannabis is sold in the head shops its legal to smoke it cause it contains no THC..

This?

Oh that one.
    My point is that if the motorway signs said 160km/h I doubt anyone would even notice the increase in speed.
    Which is why I find it ridiculous that so many people think 160km/h is very dangerous, it's a tiny increase over the actual speed limit.

The post you quoted was talking about doing 250km/h, which is a different story altogether.

• Advertisement

I find it ridiculous that so many people think 160km/h is very dangerous, it's a tiny increase over the actual speed limit.

It's ONE-THIRD EXTRA.

So you'd be happy to take a 33% pay cut, then ? Because it's a "tiny" decrease ?

It's ONE-THIRD EXTRA.

So you'd be happy to take a 33% pay cut, then ? Because it's a "tiny" decrease ?

Why would I be happy to take any pay cut?
    that's a bit stupid.

edit: also, it's quite funny that the people who are mostly going on about how dangerous speeding is are the people who advocate drink driving.

Why would I be happy to take any pay cut?
    that's a bit stupid.

Because it's "tiny" - but nice dodge.
    also, it's quite funny that the people who are mostly going on about how dangerous speeding is are the people who advocate drink driving.

Nice - if failed - attempt at being smart :rolleyes: I'm 100% consistent, because anything I'm talking about involves staying within legal limits.

Advocating 160 kmph = Advocating drinking 4 pints and driving
    Advocating 120kmph = Drinking 2 pints and driving

And if you bothered to read, all I've ever advocated was the 2 pints.

So next time you want to make an "edit", please make sure that it's in some way relevant to the discussion; otherwise it looks pretty pathetic.

Of course, posting that was obviously a transparent attempt at distracting completely from my point.....that 33% could in no way be viewed as "tiny".

But that'd require you to face up that you were wrong.

Because it's "tiny" - but nice dodge.

Nice - if failed - attempt at being smart :rolleyes: I'm 100% consistent, because anything I'm talking about involves staying within legal limits.

Advocating 160 kmph = Advocating drinking 4 pints and driving
    Advocating 120kmph = Drinking 2 pints and driving

And if you bothered to read, all I've ever advocated was the 2 pints.

So next time you want to make an "edit", please make sure that it's in some way relevant to the discussion; otherwise it looks pretty pathetic.

Of course, posting that was obviously a transparent attempt at distracting completely from my point.....that 33% could in no way be viewed as "tiny".

But that'd require you to face up that you were wrong.
    It's not a dodge, it's just not worth replying to such a bad analogy.

I know you did, but you're talking about keeping within legal limits and not actually being drunk which isn't what "Drink driving" is and you know full well it isn't.

It's eh..not meant to be relevant? It's a..comment, you know..forum, comments..etc.

It can be viewed as tiny when it comes to the speed limit tbh.
    but then if really want to go down that road..I'd gladly take a 33% pay cut if it meant keeping my job yeah, but why would I take one ro no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

What seems to be the officer problem?

Yes, and never fell off my pushbike once:cool:

I know you did, but you're talking about keeping within legal limits

Thanks for recognising that.

And while I am talking about that (keeping within the law), you're talking about breaking it.

So don't go throwing in stupid phrases about what's "quite funny".

The thread is about "drink driving"; it does not say "drunk driving".

The thread is about "drink driving"; it does not say "drunk driving".

Ok but like I've said, I would have thought it universally recognised that 'Drink Driving' means Driving whilst drunk..
    apparently not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Ok but like I've said, I would have thought it universally recognised that 'Drink Driving' means Driving whilst drunk..
    apparently not.

Where did you get that idea from?
    'Drink Driving' is generally understood as driving whilst over the legal limit. Some people may be 'drunk' while being just over the limit, more people probably wouldnt be.

But 'drunk' is a very subjective term so to say that 'Drink Driving' means Driving whilst drunk is not very helpful nor accurate.

Many things affect a persons ability to react in any given circumstance. Drink, drugs, speed, distractions (ie. mobile phone) - it is a matter of degree but all are 'dangerous' - the more you drink, the more dangerous; the more you smoke weed, the more dangerous; the more you speed, the more dangerous. And your suggestion, which you seem unable to withdraw, that it is perfectly safe to drive at 160kph (or more?) is patently ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭rodberg007

Ok here's one for ya:

If you were to have 2/3 bottles of beer(in a glass with loads of ice) over the course of 3 hours or so would that be deemed as being over the limit if I was too drive home after...??

I don't drink pints and I guess that's where the discussion has been centered around here - people who think it's ok to have 2 pints and drive after?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Never given that even at the legal limit reactions are generally down 10%. Seems little enough but 10% can make a world of difference when there are other people locked out of their minds stepping out onto the street without looking. All relative, but I know after one or two pints I'd definitely feel different physically. Wouldn't be comfortable driving at all.

The drink drivers I know tend to be women which may be strange enough. One in particular scoffs at any criticism concerning her driving 10mins home in a rural area after 7 or 8 drinks. Madness. Drink driving is far more prevalent than most realise. Most people I know have done it. They've had 6 or 7 drinks. It's p*ssing down. It's 1am. They brought the car with the intention of collecting it the next day. It's a 20 minute walk home in the rain or 3 mins in the car. I'd say a hell of a lot of people take the chance. I know I've been sorely tempted. Not in rural areas either. I know in Howth you'd find a hell of a lot of drink driving going on any weekend at closing time as there's never a Garda to be seen.

Here's one actually, herself is from a large town. Her father enjoys 4 pints or so and drives to the pub and home regularly. It's a busy town on Friday and Saturday nights. As busy as any city in Ireland given that people come from all surrounding areas to go out so there are plenty of people about when he's driving. He's a member of the local Garda Síochána. Sees nothing wrong with it at all and knows he'll never be caught. If the police are doing this themselves then do we expect it to be enforced for regular citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

Driving is a pivilege, not a right. When you apply for your licence you agreeing to abide by the laws governing road use. The rules are pretty clear, you either agree to them and drive or if you don't then you have to be prepared to face the consequences.

You may not agree with the drink drive limit or a particular speed limit, but they are there to make it perfectly clear what is acceptable or not in the eyes of the law.

Different people handle alcohol differently. You may be a perfectly good driver after 4-5 pints, but to apply a different drink drive limit to different people would be impossible to implement.

By maintaining a driving licence you are agree to stay within the drink drive limit, it's the price you pay for being given such responsibility.

(awaits goody two shoes comments)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I've never been in a position where I must drink and then I must drive - so I choose one or the other.

I would hate to have had a drink, even one - and then be in an accident which hurt or killed someone. I'd always be blaming myself and wondering if I could have reacted differently if I'd had no alcohol -so I just don't take the chance. :)

grundie wrote: »
    By maintaining a driving licence you are agree to stay within the drink drive limit, it's the price you pay for being given such responsibility.

+1
    grundie wrote: »
    (awaits goody two shoes comments)

None from here, but will a "common sense post" comment do instead ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

FearDark wrote: »
    Yep, my local is 2miles away, No possibility of getting a taxi and walking is out of the question, so yeah - I drive, I tip away down there every saturday night, everybody does. I've done it for years, I'll continue to do it.

/awaits onslaught.

Fcukit, so many people sayin "nooooooo never" blah blah blah, course you have.

Ah well, at least if everyone does it no one can really point fingers when someone eventually dies.

Which is nice.

rodberg007 wrote: »
    Ok here's one for ya:

If you were to have 2/3 bottles of beer(in a glass with loads of ice) over the course of 3 hours or so would that be deemed as being over the limit if I was too drive home after...??

1) The ice makes little no difference - you'll still have drunk that much alcohol.

2) Depends on the size of the bottles and what strength the alcohol is; if they're typical lager and they're the standard 330ml / 33cl bottles, then the fact that 1 pint = 568 ml will help

3.5 bottles = 2 pints, or as near as is relevant.
    rodberg007 wrote: »
    I don't drink pints and I guess that's where the discussion has been centered around here - people who think it's ok to have 2 pints and drive after?!

It's not "people who think"; it's pretty much the law (over 3 hours), roughly speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'd never drive after drinking at all, but I'm always worried about being over the limit the day after a big night out. How do you tell?
    If hangovers are caused by alcohol withdrawl, then if you have a hangover, does that mean that the alcohol has mostly left your system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

I stopped ever since i received an SUI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Are we talking driving with drink on you (either within the legal limit or not) or are we talking drunk driving?

Yes, I have driven with drink on me, but I have done so legally, and I may do so again in the future. I don't drive while drunk though, or, for that matter, while over the legal limit.

For the record, Death by traffic injury (including both drink and speed related accidents) doesn't even appear in the top 5 killers in Ireland*. Deaths that the main contributers of include consumption of alcohol and smoking are by far higher. The legality of alcohol and tobacco (on this forum) would makes a very interesting discussion in conjunction with this thread!

*as per 2006 figures, I can't seem to locate anything more up to date online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There's a big difference there Karmagarda. At least with Liver and heart disease, you're causing your own death. Drunk driving, you're likely to kill others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 richie spice

Some people can drink and drive some fellas cant.
    dont see why the ones that cant shoudl ruin it for them that can by bringing the limit down even further.

why not concentrate on the fella locked off his face not makin criminals out of ordinary people havin a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Blisterman wrote: »
    There's a big difference there Karmagarda. At least with Liver and heart disease, you're causing your own death. Drunk driving, you're likely to kill others.

Not exactly as big as you would imagine. I'd hedge a bet that any violence or injury related deaths, not driving related, but involving overconsumption of either alcohol or drugs isn't awfully far from drunk drivers killing others on the road. I might have a look for some statistics on that one later to back up my (possibly ludicrous!) argument :pac:.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not condoning it. Just putting things into a bit of perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Its amazing how peoples perception of this has changed over the last fifteen years or so.
    Back in the day it was seen as an accepted thing and just passed over as if it was not an offence. Thank God we have seen sense and seen how dangerous it is. I have never and will never do it. I cannot think of a situation where it could be excused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

If I'm driving I always ask for a glass of Beer if I'm having a meal and that would be all I'd have.

Most places will bring guys the little half pint (mini pint :)) glass but some places bring the tall lady glass and then I feel like a big gay :o

If I am going to be somewhere for a few hours then sometimes I'll have one JD with lots of ice and sip that for an hour then switch to Club Oranges.

When I was 18 I did drive drunk one night.

Went drinking in the old Pink Elephant and then we all decided to drive to Donabate beach. Crazy days and once was enough.

Haven't done it since and wouldn't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I'd say alot of the people who say they don't notice any difference in their reactions after they drink 2 pints don't realise that they don't notice the difference in their reactions, their judgement and reactions are still impaired, just not to the point where they realise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Used to do it a bit years ago but put a stop to it altogether about 6/7 years back. I don't even have as much as a sip now if I'm driving but may have been still over the limit the next morning a few times over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I've blown an orange on the breathalyser once, nearly collapsed with shame and shock. Was only driving up the road about two miles too.

Before that I drove twice while having alcohol in my system.

Once from Drogheda to home for work. I'd say I might have blown an orange that time too because I got five hours kip after a heavy session. However I did manage to get stopped a checkpoint and talk to the Garda on it and he never asked for a breath sample.

Once from the SU bar to home because I wasn't comfortable leaving the car there after seeing other students put other car windows in.

But that orange on the breathalyser, it was explained to me that the tolerance for that is very small, like in the region of +/- 3mg ..that put a stop to any considerable driving under the influence. I've reveresed a car out of a driveway and parked it alongside the kerb to get out of another drivers way since then, but nothing other than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Drink drivers are the lowest form of scum.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Drunk drivers are the lowest form of scum.

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

So, someone who has a glass of shandy & drives is worse than any Murderer, Paedophile or Serial Rapist?

I'd say that's a perfectly reasonable point of view alright.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

interesting point you raise here sir bandit, so what constitutes the highest class of scum in your expert opinion?

• Advertisement
Advertisement