Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drink Driving...DO YOU DO IT ? ? ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

no dont even sober drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I haven't read through the whole thread so don't know if it's been brought up,but alot of people who've said they never have probably have at some stage.

A couple of hours sleep after a massive bender,then getting into the car in the morning is not enough to render you sober.This is a massive problem and it largely goes unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Drove home after a hot whiskey at last years christmas party - that's the only time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

aDeener wrote: »
    interesting point you raise here sir bandit, so what constitutes the highest class of scum in your expert opinion?

soap scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I have my own rules:
    • If I'm drinking, I don't drive that day
    • If I have up to 6 drinks in a night, I don't drive til after midday the following day
    • If I have more than that, I don't drive the following day.
    Over the top and unnecessary? Absolutely! However, rather than avoiding driving the next day, I generally simply avoid drinking too much the night before, if I have somewhere to be the next day.

I never, ever want to be in a position where I am the cause of an accident. I will do what it takes and a lot more to avoid that.

Also, I need my licence. A lot more than I "need" alcohol. So I will not risk it under any circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't drink and drive - it's risky to drink only enough to achieve a slight sense of well-being (not because that makes you dangerous but because you risk being stopped for breathalysing) so may as well just drink 7up.
    aDeener wrote: »
    interesting point you raise here sir bandit, so what constitutes the highest class of scum in your expert opinion?
    +1

Bandit12, you've got to publish your League Table of Scum for the good of us all. Where, for instance, do single mothers feature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't drink and drive - it's risky to drink only enough to achieve a slight sense of well-being (not because that makes you dangerous but because you risk being stopped for breathalysing) so may as well just drink 7up.

+1

Bandit12, you've got to publish your League Table of Scum for the good of us all. Where, for instance, do single mothers feature?

Sorry dudess you lost me. What has single mother's got to do with it.:confused: Anyone who get's behind the wheel of a car whilst drunk is scum imo and i've no sympthy for anyone who does and get's caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Sorry dudess you lost me. What has single mother's got to do with it.:confused: Anyone who get's behind the wheel of a car whilst drunk is scum imo and i've no sympthy for anyone who does and get's caught.

Broken ankle, , shin, arm in 4 places, 3 fingers, 4 ribs, one of which punctured my lung, collar bone, shoulder blade, one friend dead because of a drink driver.

So yeah they are total scum. No sympathy whatsoever for any of them. They should not be allowed drive again. I know it's personal for me so maybe breaking their left arm and right leg might stop it for a while. Drunk driving = 10 years no driving if I'm in charge. If you think I sound like a Nazi, then get in line... the one on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

How do you anonymously report someone who's lost their licences for drink driving but continues to drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

There is no reason or situation where anybody HAS to drink and drive - anybody who thinks they "know" best and think they are capable of driving after being over the limit is a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

i've no sympthy for anyone who does and get's caught.
    Why would you though?It's ilegal for a good reason because alcohol impairs your judgement and reactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭rodberg007

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    How do you anonymously report someone who's lost their licences for drink driving but continues to drive?

Garda confidential helpline: 1800 666111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

I am working xmas eve till 8pm, will drive home then to see my family, in the glorious (not) county carlow, will get to the pub 9.30 ish, will have to leave them 6am stephens day, to get to work...mammy happy I am there for xmas day as I should have been working, but my poor beloved Da is telling me to work xmas day instead, because of the guards...feck it, am a daddy's girl but me ma holds the purse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Drink drivers are the lowest form of scum.

Sensationalistic gibberish.

Drink driving isn't clever and it puts innocent people at risk but are you honestly saying that the culprits are worse that paedophiles,
    heroin dealers, suicide bombers and Gerry Ryan?

People can go on as much as they want about how bad it is but in certain rural areas it's the norm.
    It's not that long ago that drink driving was socially acceptable everywhere.
    Realistically what do people do when they live in areas with no buses or taxis and lifts aren't always possible?
    What does the likes of some 50 year old Bachelor living in the arse of nowhere do?
    Stay at home alone? go to the pub and drink Coke?

Drink driving is wrong and culprits should be punished.
    Drink drivers have obviously been responsible for killing innocent people but the OTT extreme views you read in these threads are ridiculous.

Are back seat passengers who don't wear seatbelts scum?
    Are people who download pirated software, movies and music scum?
    Are people who don't pay their TV licences scum?

NO, they're breaking the law and what they're doing is wrong but try putting things in perspective FFS.

shuvly wrote: »
    I am working xmas eve till 8pm, will drive home then to see my family, in the glorious (not) county carlow, will get to the pub 9.30 ish, will have to leave them 6am stephens day, to get to work...mammy happy I am there for xmas day as I should have been working, but my poor beloved Da is telling me to work xmas day instead, because of the guards...feck it, am a daddy's girl but me ma holds the purse!

Hate that but alot places are open St. Stephen's Day this year so it would be nice to be home for Xmas day... not many people working Xmas day unless your in a hotel/emergency services or a retail service such as a petrol station

• Advertisement

Mm., yeah, am a nurse, was asked to change to stephens day instead of xmas...feck it , will wear my nurses badge on way up...bring on all the coppers rejects now!

I'd would safely say that all the 'Copper's rejects' will be gone home for Xmas now. You might have a quiet a day/night after all. Then again I can't really complain because I'll be working on Stephen's Day too but without an hours drive(ouch)!

If you r any where near the back end of carlow going towards the dub stephens day at 6 (and coming back about 8!) ...give me a shout.

Ha-ha-ha I like your style - good try but unfortunately I am from Dublin and work in Dublin but if I need the services of a nurse when I'm in work during Stephen's Day I will give you a shout no doubt. By the way that's a long day - I presume it's a 12 hour shift?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Can't drive but I never ever would even consider drinking and then driving.

Unfortunately when I was in my teenage years all the local lads ...in fact nearly everyone was drunk while driving home.
    I had a lucky escape one night.
    Hopped into the front passenger seat to get a lift home(I was steaming drunk and so was the driver). My friend dragged me out of car only because she wanted to get lift with some lad she fancied!!

Thank god she did because 30 seconds down the road he crashed and the engine ended up in the front passenger seat where I would have been :eek:

All those lads have all grown up now and a hell of alot more sensible. Prob due to having more expensive cars and not wanting to wreck them.

But there will always be new young ones thinking they can handle it...even though plenty local lads have died in recent years. They all seem to forget.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Rodberg, I'd say u did well in school. Yeah, its an fld..fcuking long day...

Ha-ha yeh I did actually.... I was good at maths too(not) - I used to work in Carlow years ago but it's a different place now though..

Only good thing to come (yeah, now and again...), out of carlow, was me..carlow regional technical college has a lot 2 answer for.., in the good auld days of the pre nursing course...!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Please ease up on the txt speak there shuvly.

Only good thing to come (yeah, now and again...), out of carlow, was me..carlow regional technical college has a lot 2 answer for.., in the good auld days of the pre nursing course...!

I believe ya... sooooooooo did you post something that snnoyed somebody above then Miss Shuvly....?? you wouldn't do that sure you wouldn't ??!!

I might have said "CRTC" darling, but i soon rectified it, but actually it is now something ponsy like austin waldron bla de bla...I await another slap on the thingy...if I am lucky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Only around the village the odd time around 3 or 4 in the morning when there is about a 0.01% chance of anyone being around.

Oooops, I did it again, bejaysus and begorra...am tempted to say bless me father for I have sinned... but after that auld priest been done..I choose to keep all my sins to myself..

I might have said "CRTC" darling, but i soon rectified it, but actually it is now something ponsy like austin waldron bla de bla...I await another slap on the thingy...if I am lucky...

......is that all like ..?? I thought that you used some other RUDE words shall we say.... but some people must have little to do if ya know what I mean!!

R.

Only around the village the odd time around 3 or 4 in the morning when there is about a 0.01% chance of anyone being around.

Like do you mean you have had a only one or two drinks in the local village hanging out with mates in pub until 3 or 4 and then just drive home?

Or you have been drinking until 3 or 4 in the morning and then drive home?

• Advertisement

Oooops, I did it again, bejaysus and begorra...am tempted to say bless me father for I have sinned... but after that auld priest been done..I choose to keep all my sins to myself..

And that was rich coming from him/her with a name like that 'dr.bollockoo' so who was 'bollocking' who ??...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

well im in my 15th month in my ban.. i was done the next day going to work.. im hoping to get licence back in march.. have i learned anything?? well id be petrified to go near the car for at least 24 hrs after ive had a drink from now on..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭streings

I'm doing it right now. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can I ask people what exactly the point is in having ''1 or 2''? If you say you feel no different than being sober then what's the point? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Can I ask people what exactly the point is in having ''1 or 2''? If you say you feel no different than being sober then what's the point? :confused:

Well, no you can't, because it is a ridiculous question! Are you suggesting that the ONLY reason / purpose of drinking is to get to the point of falling over / puking ?

I'd suggest that "what exactly is the point of having 8 or 10 ?" is a far more relevant question.

Have you ever had a huge meal ?

And have you never just had a snack ? If so, why did you only have a snack - why not a full 5-course meal ?

flanum wrote: »
    well im in my 15th month in my ban.. i was done the next day going to work.. im hoping to get licence back in march.. have i learned anything?? well id be petrified to go near the car for at least 24 hrs after ive had a drink from now on..!!

I really feel for you. Bagging in the morning is an absolute disgrace.

If they really couldn't do without beer...sure they could just drink Becks Non-Alcoholic beer or something like that.
    Tastes the exact same as beer!

If you call around to someones house and they offer you a can, or you go into the local to watch a match its nice to have a pint or 2 rather than drink coke. Its more social to have a proper drink.

Especially auld lads they usually dont like soft drinks and are happy with there two or three pints.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Well, no you can't, because it is a ridiculous question! Are you suggesting that the ONLY reason / purpose of drinking is to get to the point of falling over / puking ?

I'd suggest that "what exactly is the point of having 8 or 10 ?" is a far more relevant question.

Have you ever had a huge meal ?

And have you never just had a snack ? If so, why did you only have a snack - why not a full 5-course meal ?

Quite a leap there, where did mention falling over or puking? The point of drinking is to feel a little tipsy, or a little bit drunk or completely pissed, whichever tickles your fancy. If that wasn't the point, people would drink non-alcoholic bear.

Yes I have had a huge meal and yes I have had a snack. Both of which probably satisfied my hunger. If I'm still hungry after a meal, then I'll eat more.

My question was, what's the point in drinking if you know you will feel no difference what so ever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Quite a leap there, where did mention falling over or puking? The point of drinking is to feel a little tipsy, or a little bit drunk or completely pissed, whichever tickles your fancy. If that wasn't the point, people would drink non-alcoholic bear.

Yes I have had a huge meal and yes I have had a snack. Both of which probably satisfied my hunger. If I'm still hungry after a meal, then I'll eat more.

My question was, what's the point in drinking if you know you will feel no difference what so ever?

Well obviously you don't feel "no difference", but it is not a level of difference that seriously impairs your driving or poses a threat to yourself and other road users. Hence why there are drink driving limits in the majority of countries, and NOT zero tolerance.

Having 1 drink (and being way under the legal limit) impairs your driving slightly, but is NOT a significant danger. Millions of things impair your driving, getting 7 hours sleep instead of 8, being in a bad mood, being hungry, having a fight with your girlfriend, having an itch, sneezing, driving at night, driving in rain, etc. But not to the point of putting your (and other road users) lives in danger. Exactly the same as having 1 drink does not put your (and other road users) lives in danger.

If you only drove when under the most ideal circumstances, being in the perfect mood, having had enough sleep, never having a bad day at work, never being even slightly hungry, never driving at night, or in rain, sure you might aswell not bother owning a car.

Once I stay within the confines of the law, you have no right to criticize how I (or anyone else here) use their car.

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    If they really couldn't do without beer...sure they could just drink Becks Non-Alcoholic beer or something like that.
    Tastes the exact same as beer!

What people do is nobody's business but their own, as long as they stay within the law - it's 100% legal, so it's a non-issue.

I've said it before, comments like the above demonise those who are responsible, and (without this being aimed directly at you, Toni) I'd hazard a guess that at least 50% of those who preach such things have no problem going 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit, which is illegal and unsafe; others would change lanes without looking or indicating (again illegal and unsafe), park on double-yellow lines (again illegal and unsafe) etc, etc.

Preaching to people that they should change their habits - despite it being legal - is wrong. As long as it's legal, there's absolutely no reason to.

If / when they change the law, I'll abide by it.

But having a social drink or two does not have to involve getting tipsy or drunk.

The point of drinking is to feel a little tipsy, or a little bit drunk or completely pissed, whichever tickles your fancy. If that wasn't the point, people would drink non-alcoholic bear.

Quite a leap there, too. That might be your "point of drinking", but you can't say what anyone else's is, or what they "would" do.

If someone said "the point of having sex is to make a baby", I presume you'd disagree ?

That might genuinely be the only reason they'd have sex, but does that make you "wrong" ?

What people do is nobody's business but their own, as long as they stay within the law - it's 100% legal, so it's a non-issue.

Preaching to people that they should change their habits - despite it being legal - is wrong. As long as it's legal, there's absolutely no reason to.

If / when they change the law, I'll abide by it.

But having a social drink or two does not have to involve getting tipsy or drunk.

Most people I know won't drink the Becks Non-Alcoholic as they view it as stupid. Which I don't think it is. So the attitude towards those types of drinks should be changed.

What I'm trying to say is fair enough have your legal amount of alcohol that the law allows you to have. Then if you wish to stay on in the pub with friends then you can easily start drinking the non-alcoholic beers.
    (If you don't want to drink minerals)

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    What I'm trying to say is fair enough have your legal amount of alcohol that the law allows you to have. Then if you wish to stay on in the pub with friends then you can easily start drinking the non-alcoholic beers.
    (If you don't want to drink minerals)

No argument there, so! :) Of course, option 3 would be to leave the car where it is and come back for it the following day.

No argument there, so! :) Of course, option 3 would be to leave the car where it is and come back for it the following day.

Exactly! But some people simply don't want to pay a taxi which is just plain stupid.
    Ok fair enough if someone is living in a rural town and goes beering then wants to hit the big town and realises the taxi fare will cost a pretty penny......

Then leave your car where it is and peer pressure other drunken folk to hop in the taxi to help even out the fare!! Won't take much to presuade them :D
    Problem solved! ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I may have been close this morning due to last nite and a fairly bad hangover:(

Done it once before on a private road with no access to public roads or other cars present, was pretty hammered.

Quite a leap there, too. That might be your "point of drinking", but you can't say what anyone else's is, or what they "would" do.

If someone said "the point of having sex is to make a baby", I presume you'd disagree ?

That might genuinely be the only reason they'd have sex, but does that make you "wrong" ?

What are your reasons for drinking bear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its fuzzy meaty taste

Its fuzzy meaty taste

That would be like drinking fizzy oxtail soup :eek:

What possible relevance is that question (even assuming that you're not talking about sucking on some Yogi, Boo-boo, etc) ?

How will it even remotely impact / affect / change the fact that I am currently a responsible, law-abiding citizen ? :rolleyes:

If you got knocked down crossing a road, would a Garda ask you "What was your reason for crossing the road ?"

• Advertisement
Advertisement