Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OZ or NZ???

Options
  • 29-11-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Is it easier to get a job in NZ or OZ? I know the question is a bit vague, but it would be nice to know some info on job prospects in places like Wellington and Auckland vs places like Sydney and Melbourne.

I don't think you have the 6 month limit in NZ but I don't know how the economy is over there.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

I'm in Wellington and think it's fairly decent over here. They are saying they are over the hump and come the new year, things should be picking up. Also, it being a capital city helps a lot, and there wouldn't be the competition you have in the bigger cities.

I was looking for IT work 6 months ago when I arrived and in the past few months again and I can't say it's great, but it's not horrific. I got two interviews the first time and have had 3 this time. Like I say, not amazing, but there are consistently company ads up on the popular job searching site, and I think that says more for the economy that what recruitment agents will tell you.

I met ppl towards the start of the year that were finding it very hard to get basic office / admin / etc. work in Sydney are were there for about 2 months. But that's typical of the stupid Irish who travel for a while, spend lots of money and presume they'll just walk into a job in the greatest place on earth, Sydney. If that's all you want to do, I advise you go straight there and then worry about travel after as if you need a job badly, in the current climate you should expect to be looking for 2 months.

Long and short of it, think NZ is holding up pretty strong, but until you give us an idea of the sort of work you'd be aiming for, it's too hard to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm also in Wellington and agree that things are pretty good job wise. I arrived in May last year and had a job within a week. I have perm residency now and the place I worked made my employment permanent as soon as I got it (you can only contract on a WHV not take on permanent employment but where I work just gave me a 1 year fixed contract tied in to my WHV).

I like Wellington because it is a city with bars and restaurants and things to do but is also really quite small so is easy to get to know.

What kind of work do you do? Have you done much research? Try www.seek.co.nz for jobs and www.trademe.co.nz foe flats (and everything else!) if you want to get an idea of the cost of things.

One thing to say against NZ, the salaries are shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Goiter

I have done some sales and fundraising work. I have also worked in bars and restaurants. I have some IT qualifications (A+, network+, 1 MCP) but that was years ago.

In NZ I wouldn't care which kind of work I get, even if I were to work in a shop or stacking shelves in a shopping store, that would do me. I have been unemployed for ages, I would be happy to getting anything, tbh.

Watna, you say the wages are shocking, but are they still livable?

I could maybe just go to Oz then go to NZ if I can't get a job, or vica versa.

Goiter wrote: »
    I have done some sales and fundraising work. I have also worked in bars and restaurants. I have some IT qualifications (A+, network+, 1 MCP) but that was years ago.

In NZ I wouldn't care which kind of work I get, even if I were to work in a shop or stacking shelves in a shopping store, that would do me. I have been unemployed for ages, I would be happy to getting anything, tbh.

Watna, you say the wages are shocking, but are they still livable?

I could maybe just go to Oz then go to NZ if I can't get a job, or vica versa.

Yes, they are livable - just not very good! Wages for bar/restaurant/retail work is about $12 -$14 an hour I think (maybe Rabies would be able to answer that one?). I had to take quite a huge pay hit when I got here (and I was doing similar work to what I did at home). It's kind of evened out after 18 months of being here. I'm almost back up at the same level. Aus does have much better salaries though. I guess it depends on what you want to get out of it too?

I have a friend coming to NZ at the end of next year on a WHV with her partner. He has a son and wants to fly back after 6 months of their stay. She asked could they earn the money for him to fly back while they were here and I had to say no. Doing work for about that wage an hour would make it hard to afford a return flight to Dublin after 6 months. That might give you a bit of an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Goiter

watna wrote: »
    I have a friend coming to NZ at the end of next year on a WHV with her partner. He has a son and wants to fly back after 6 months of their stay. She asked could they earn the money for him to fly back while they were here and I had to say no. Doing work for about that wage an hour would make it hard to afford a return flight to Dublin after 6 months. That might give you a bit of an idea.

That bad? wow! Can you get a new zealand visa as fast and easy as you would an oz one? It would be nice to just jump across if things don't go to plan in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Goiter wrote: »
    That bad? wow! Can you get a new zealand visa as fast and easy as you would an oz one? It would be nice to just jump across if things don't go to plan in Australia.

yeah, you can get it within 48 hours. After you apply, you have to use it within one year, and you cannot cancel it to apply for another one at a later stage. As watna says, pay here is poor for unskilled/ semiskilled work. Minimum wage is 12.60 nzd, im on a good bit more than that and the only way i save money for traveling here is by working between 60 to 90 hours a week. The dollar isnt worth a fcuk if you want to take it home...

Claasman wrote: »
    yeah, you can get it within 48 hours. After you apply, you have to use it within one year, and you cannot cancel it to apply for another one at a later stage. As watna says, pay here is poor for unskilled/ semiskilled work. Minimum wage is 12.60 nzd, im on a good bit more than that and the only way i save money for traveling here is by working between 60 to 90 hours a week. The dollar isnt worth a fcuk if you want to take it home...

Tell me about it. I have a decent enough job and I'm going home for three weeks at Easter. I'm going to be practically pover stricken when I start spending my NZ dollars in Ireland.

I've told everyone to expect me to be poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

It's sore. I was home in August and had some of the most expensive nights out in my own home town ever thanks to the crap dollar. You change your money and realise how little it actually is worth in Ireland. Don't think about the money just enjoy yourself...thinking about it now I had quite a few $16 pints :O

I was also stupid and stressed out enough to bring my pay as you go phone and go through about $150 of credit before I copped on to the fact I should buy an Irish sim :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

goin to oz myself in jan on a whv and just wondering as classman said if things werent goin well is it possible to apply for a nz whv while in oz or should i do it before i leave??

paidi09 wrote: »
    goin to oz myself in jan on a whv and just wondering as classman said if things werent goin well is it possible to apply for a nz whv while in oz or should i do it before i leave??

It's easy enough to get whv so you should be fine applying from Aus. If you get it before you leave then you only have a year to arrive in NZ from the date the visa is issued. If you get an aus one too and spend a whole year in aus before going to NZ your NZ WHV will become invalid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

watna wrote: »
    Tell me about it. I have a decent enough job and I'm going home for three weeks at Easter. I'm going to be practically pover stricken when I start spending my NZ dollars in Ireland.

I've told everyone to expect me to be poor!

Yeah, the wages here in Ireland are so much better. Coming to Ireland on the kiwi dollar is like opening the flood gates to your bank account. I think I'd spent 20% of my NZ savings here within a few weeks of arriving just getting set up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Wages are bad in NZ but it could be worse and alot of the time the place makes up for it. Plenty of good deals to be had in other goods and services. However dont expect to make alot of money in NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What is the age limit for the WHV in NZ..same as Aus..31??

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

What is the age limit for the WHV in NZ..same as Aus..31??

I believe for both you have to apply before you're 30, which means the latest you could activate it with be before you turn 31. However, NZ are bringing out a new (very clever IMO) visa called the silver fern which allows you get a one year WHV between the ages of 25 & 35, but I think you have to fit into a skilled category, and it is expensive.

Obviously check all this and don't take my word for it.

Advertisement