Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please check the dog pound or animal welfare site before buying a dog

Options
  • 29-11-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

In cork there are no excuses for not looking in the pound or checking a animal welfare site for a dog .
    There are all types of dogs pedigrees to nice looking crosses .
    And please have your dogs spayed or neutered , there are no excuses if you can afford to have a dog you can afford to take of it .
    Please watch this Short film on dogs at the pound some viewers may find it disturbing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xI7xt99zA&

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Don't you mean no excuses for not looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Don't you mean no excuses for not looking?
    yes i do thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

do they have a website? cant watch the video

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Times are tough when you cant watch a youtube video!! :D
    Just google ispca and you will get info but if you can watch it elsewhere the video is well worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

some sites to find some lovely animals :) these are the only site i know off please add more if ye know of some.

these all show pics of dogs
    www.westcorkanimals.com
    www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie
    www.irishanimals.ie/corkkerry_homes.html

the animal home in cork you have to go look, i believe you have to check every few days for animals as they cant keep them very long before putting them down.
    www.cspca.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Times are tough when you cant watch a youtube video!! :D
    Just google ispca and you will get info but if you can watch it elsewhere the video is well worth a look

cant watch any vids on my browser atm

thanks for the links sunshinegirl

Some amazingly lovely looking dogs there, so so sad that they are ownerless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

some sites to find some lovely animals :) these are the only site i know off please add more if ye know of some.

these all show pics of dogs
    www.westcorkanimals.com
    www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie
    www.irishanimals.ie/corkkerry_homes.html

the animal home in cork you have to go look, i believe you have to check every few days for animals as they cant keep them very long before putting them down.
    www.cspca.ie

Be careful if you go to the CSPCA - I took a female German Shepherd out of there in August - in September she had 6 puppies, she was 5 weeks pregnant when they released her to me (for €100) when i informed them of this they hung up the phone on me, and i can tell you it's cost a lot more than €100 to raise the puppies for the last 11 weeks! not to mention the lack of rest/sleep.

They do not neuter animals they release, nor do they vaccinate or health check them, and no chance of them being micro-chipped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

RoverJames wrote: »
    Some amazingly lovely looking dogs there, so so sad that they are ownerless.

ahh poor Scotty - if i didn't already have 6 dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nifty90210

Paul91 wrote: »
    Be careful if you go to the CSPCA - I took a female German Shepherd out of there in August - in September she had 6 puppies, she was 5 weeks pregnant when they released her to me (for €100) when i informed them of this they hung up the phone on me, and i can tell you it's cost a lot more than €100 to raise the puppies for the last 11 weeks! not to mention the lack of rest/sleep.

They do not neuter animals they release, nor do they vaccinate or health check them, and no chance of them being micro-chipped

Be careful of what! You are taking a dog from a pound! What do you expect!
    Once you decide to rescue a dog from one of these places, you are saving a life! They get no 'care' in these pounds and need a full veterinary check up on 'checking out' of the pound!

DogsTrust will neuter dogs at a reduced cost. We have no excuse in this country. Go to your local pound today and save a dog from being executed. They are given only 5 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xI7xt99zA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Some shelters provide vaccinations, de-worming and neutering as part of the release fee. Worth checking out as it can be very good value.

Once you decide to rescue a dog from one of these places, you are saving a life! They get no 'care' in these pounds and need a full veterinary check up on 'checking out' of the pound!

DogsTrust will neuter dogs at a reduced cost. We have no excuse in this country. Go to your local pound today and save a dog from being executed. They are given only 5 days.

Stark wrote: »
    Some shelters provide vaccinations, de-worming and neutering as part of the release fee. Worth checking out as it can be very good value.

Yes, shelters usually provide the dogs with the neccesary treatment, but Pounds on the other hand dont. There is no excuse for the pounds not to work along shelters/rescue organisations to offer this service...
    They prefer to just put the dogs to sleep, as far as I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

The CSPCA are actually very good. There are two sides to it. They worm the dogs, provide them with shots, give you info on what care it has received since arriving at the pound. They also tell you where the dog came from if possible and how old they beileve it to be. They neuter the dog if it's old enough, if not, you can go back with the dog and get it neutered there free of charge once it IS old enough.

They also have a room for school visits and educate the kids about how to care for dogs and the history behind CSPCA. I feel so sorry for them, I think they have one of the hardest jobs ever, I know I wouldn't be able to do it. I imagine they get loads of calls complaining about the dogs they got. At the end of the day alot of the dogs that end up there are ones the owners couldn't look after/train properly and people who go there to find a dog for themselves should be aware of this.. And TBH I think alot of people only go to the CSPCA to get a dog because its only €100 for the dog and aren't thinking about it at all. It's horrible IMO.

http://www.cspca.ie/

They should have been more helpful about the dog you got which was pregnant to be honest though. Must've been very hard for you.

I rescued a lab a few years ago. Beautiful, healthy and friendly labrador just under a year old I'd say. He was very strong though and very boisterous - it got to the stage he walked me! I couldn;t look after him anymore and though I loved him I knew he needed more than what I could give him.

Found a perfect home for him after a year though. Big garden with a dog run, a dog walker assigned three times a day AND they paid for professional training which I couldn't afford. He's much happier now.

I wouldn't get a dog from the pound again though. I'm a huge animal lover and if I walked in I know I'd come out with one. IMO I will avoid it as I know I don't have the heart to discipline a dog and I don't think I could go through it again. I bought a dog a few years ago who is a tiny house dog who thinks she's a little princess.

She bosses me about but can't push me over so it works out for both of us! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Been fighting with my parents for circa 10 years to try and get a dog...still failing horribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

that's simply not true.I brought a dog home from there which they neutered!!?

and I think you're barking up the wrong tree there, it's easy to point the blame at the people who involve themselves with the dog's who are needy but the real blame should be put on the previous 'owners' of the dogs, the council and government who should be doing more for these dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

that's simply not true.I brought a dog home from there which they neutered!!?

and I think you're barking up the wrong tree there, it's easy to point the blame at the people who involve themselves with the dog's who are needy but the real blame should be put on the previous 'owners' of the dogs, the council and government who should be doing more for these dogs.

i'm sorry every word i said is true, and i have contacted the county council and informed them of such and have correspondance back from them - one of my complaints was that the dogs food was thrown onto the same floor that they deficate on, which the CSPCA admitted and since my correspondance apparantly have bowls for the food - they do not vaccinate any dog, neuter any dog, vet check any dog, chip any dog - i have the correspondance from them stating this

did you know that some welfare groups in Cork rescue animals from the CSPCA?

NoDice wrote: »
    The CSPCA are actually very good. There are two sides to it. They worm the dogs, provide them with shots, give you info on what care it has received since arriving at the pound. They also tell you where the dog came from if possible and how old they beileve it to be. They neuter the dog if it's old enough, if not, you can go back with the dog and get it neutered there free of charge once it IS old enough.

They also have a room for school visits and educate the kids about how to care for dogs and the history behind CSPCA. I feel so sorry for them, I think they have one of the hardest jobs ever, I know I wouldn't be able to do it. I imagine they get loads of calls complaining about the dogs they got. At the end of the day alot of the dogs that end up there are ones the owners couldn't look after/train properly and people who go there to find a dog for themselves should be aware of this.. And TBH I think alot of people only go to the CSPCA to get a dog because its only €100 for the dog and aren't thinking about it at all. It's horrible IMO.

http://www.cspca.ie/

They should have been more helpful about the dog you got which was pregnant to be honest though. Must've been very hard for you.

I rescued a lab a few years ago. Beautiful, healthy and friendly labrador just under a year old I'd say. He was very strong though and very boisterous - it got to the stage he walked me! I couldn;t look after him anymore and though I loved him I knew he needed more than what I could give him.

Found a perfect home for him after a year though. Big garden with a dog run, a dog walker assigned three times a day AND they paid for professional training which I couldn't afford. He's much happier now.

I wouldn't get a dog from the pound again though. I'm a huge animal lover and if I walked in I know I'd come out with one. IMO I will avoid it as I know I don't have the heart to discipline a dog and I don't think I could go through it again. I bought a dog a few years ago who is a tiny house dog who thinks she's a little princess.

She bosses me about but can't push me over so it works out for both of us! :D

they do not neuter, vaccinate or chip the dogs - i have correspondance from them stating such - the GSD I got out had thick matt's in her hair, they hadn't even bothered to brush her coat, she was 10lbs underweght, they performed NO checks on me - the place is a joke, and not a funny one

nifty90210 wrote: »

THEY DO NOT GET A VET CHECK - THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A VET THERE OR ONE THAT OFFICIALLY VISITS - I HAVE THE CORRESPONDANCE FROM THE COUNCIL TO PROVE SUCH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

PaulB91 wrote: »
    THEY DO NOT GET A VET CHECK - THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A VET THERE OR ONE THAT OFFICIALLY VISITS - I HAVE THE CORRESPONDANCE FROM THE COUNCIL TO PROVE SUCH

I can vouch for what the above poster has said, they were IIRC drummed out of the ISPCA for lack of standards.

That said we got three animals for them and all have been good, one had kittens a few weeks later but they told us this before we took her. Our count is now 5 cats and a dog (very much the lower life form)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

No matter where you get a dog, be it pound or breeder the most important thing is that you can actually look after it. I have seen way too many people go to the pound and feel sorry for a dog only to take it home for a few weeks then bring it back to the pound.

The most important thing when getting a dog is dedicating time towards it. As they say a dog is a 10-15yr commitment.

we have five dogs at the moment, you could say that 4 of them came from there, but only 1 i took out because she was in such a bad condition (was in there looking for my other halfs brother Jack Russel who had gone missing - FYI if you loose your dog go up and check there in person, i know of people who have phoned, been told their dog isn't there only to go up and find it) 2 popped out of her, and my other fella (who we've had for 4 years) was taken out by my other half sister who was 8 months pregnant when they handed her a 6 month lab/boxer - needless to say she couln't cope and i took him of her - the 5th is a 16 year old Cairn which was my OH's family pet

they do not neuter, vaccinate or chip the dogs - i have correspondance from them stating such - the GSD I got out had thick matt's in her hair, they hadn't even bothered to brush her coat, she was 10lbs underweght, they performed NO checks on me - the place is a joke, and not a funny one

Look obviously you had a very bad experience but I for one and many more people have found a very well-looked after, happy family pet there. My dog was wormed, groomed, and I brought him back to be neutered foc. They don't check the people who come in to get a dog, they are so happy when people come in to take a dog from them as otherwise they would be put down.

You are turning people away from these dogs which is a horrible thing to do. There are so many loving yet homeless dogs there. It's an animal shelter, of course the poor dogs and cats will be in a poorly state, they do their best there.

There is also a vet located right next door, dude they are not out to get you or to con you there. You called and they hung up so you went to the council??? Why didn't you call in with your papers? Why didn't you take the dog into their vet??

They're lovely people who do a great job. Many people, as I have said have had great experiences with the CSPCA so you can't bias everyone else with your one bad experience.

was in there looking for my other halfs brother Jack Russel who had gone missing - FYI if you loose your dog go up and check there in person, i know of people who have phoned, been told their dog isn't there only to go up and find it

FYI!!?? Man, these people aren't out to get you. They are clearly animal lovers and even cater for school visits, stop being so negative about them.

If you lose your dog you can call them and they will describe the dogs they have over the phone, but they actually advise you just to call in just in case. You can advertise lost pets and found pets with them on the website or on their board free of charge.

And FYI, I know this as a fact as my family lost a dog, we called them and they described their dog. They explained that owners can potentially describe their dogs differently as they see them differently so advised us to call in and check. Sadly, she was not there but they were very helpful and helped us put a sign up. AND another experience (I don't just "know of people") I went with a close friend of mine to collect her dog. She also rang (rang three times as they didn't answer - believe it or not they can be very busy but finally got through), was told she should call in just in case but they did have a match to the breed she described so they would reserve that dog until she came back. Happy ending too it was her dog! :)

They don't even let you buy a dog in there if it hasn't already been there for a few days (can't remember the exact amount of days). The reason for this??? - In case the rightful owner turns up to pick her up. Sadly this doesn't usually happen.

So they're not out to keep your dog if you lose it (you should always have a collar with name tag and a great new thing is getting them chipped - The CSPCA also check for this on site when they receive a new dog from the streets!).

Hogzy wrote: »
    No matter where you get a dog, be it pound or breeder the most important thing is that you can actually look after it. I have seen way too many people go to the pound and feel sorry for a dog only to take it home for a few weeks then bring it back to the pound.

The most important thing when getting a dog is dedicating time towards it. As they say a dog is a 10-15yr commitment.

Absolutely agree with you here Hogzy. As I said in my first post here I made that mistake. Now I didn't bring him back to the pound I found a better home for him (see first post for full story if you're interested :) ).

When I picked him up from the CSPCA they told me he was only a pup and would grow to three times the size of what he was. He was also pulling the girl working there on the lead trying to lick me so she was warning me he was very strong. I knew I had to take him out of there. After a year, my OH's parents took him as their own and he is so so happy and has all the attention he needs.

The CSPCA don't do a backround check on you but will advise you as best they can about the dogs they have if you chose one. :)

They have a vet next door. Right next door. :rolleyes:

Look obviously you had a very bad experience but I for one and many more people have found a very well-looked after, happy family pet there. My dog was wormed, groomed, and I brought him back to be neutered foc. They don't check the people who come in to get a dog, they are so happy when people come in to take a dog from them as otherwise they would be put down.

I'm glad you had a good experience - but after mine i started to do a litle bit of research, one thing i found was that the CSPCA is not supposed to release dogs on the restricted list back out to the public, this is in Cork Council meeting notes - whay you may ask, well as they perform no checks on the homes the dogs go to they could release dogs to people who use them for dog fighting, or merely to be locked up in a yard for the rest of the dogs life as a "guard dog"
    You are turning people away from these dogs which is a horrible thing to do. There are so many loving yet homeless dogs there. It's an animal shelter, of course the poor dogs and cats will be in a poorly state, they do their best there.

I have known of dogs coming out of there and dying within weeks from parvo - so i'd prefer people went to one of the many Cork based welfare groups - i feel sorry for the dogs in there, but the place needs to be sorted out - oh and it's not an animal shelter it's a "pound" shelters do not tend to put healthy dogs down after a week
    There is also a vet located right next door, dude they are not out to get you or to con you there. You called and they hung up so you went to the council??? Why didn't you call in with your papers? Why didn't you take the dog into their vet??

there is, a vet i use to have my two females neutered, but they don't have anything officially to do with the pound - call in with what papers? all i got was a stamped receipt from the CSPCA and i only got that from asking - they [EMAIL="DON@T"]DON'T[/EMAIL] have a vet
    They're lovely people who do a great job. Many people, as I have said have had great experiences with the CSPCA so you can't bias everyone else with your one bad experience.

I can tell my story - this is a public forum, and as such i can let people know my experience as you can yours

FYI!!?? Man, these people aren't out to get you. They are clearly animal lovers and even cater for school visits, stop being so negative about them.

they are a business not a shelter
    If you lose your dog you can call them and they will describe the dogs they have over the phone, but they actually advise you just to call in just in case. You can advertise lost pets and found pets with them on the website or on their board free of charge.

I know people who called, described there dog, got told there was no dog of that description there, gone up later in the day to find there dog there and had been for a couple of days, my advice is to call in rahter than have a family pet put to sleep because the person who answered the phone didn't know the dog was there
    And FYI, I know this as a fact as my family lost a dog, we called them and they described their dog. They explained that owners can potentially describe their dogs differently as they see them differently so advised us to call in and check. Sadly, she was not there but they were very helpful and helped us put a sign up. AND another experience (I don't just "know of people") I went with a close friend of mine to collect her dog. She also rang (rang three times as they didn't answer - believe it or not they can be very busy but finally got through), was told she should call in just in case but they did have a match to the breed she described so they would reserve that dog until she came back. Happy ending too it was her dog! :)
    so that's two cases you KNOW of - i know of a lot more that aren't as happy an ending
    They don't even let you buy a dog in there if it hasn't already been there for a few days (can't remember the exact amount of days). The reason for this??? - In case the rightful owner turns up to pick her up. Sadly this doesn't usually happen.
    this is the law so they have to abide by it
    So they're not out to keep your dog if you lose it (you should always have a collar with name tag and a great new thing is getting them chipped - The CSPCA also check for this on site when they receive a new dog from the streets!).
    FYI all my dogs are chipped, have collars with name tags - oh by my own expense

They have a vet next door. Right next door. :rolleyes:

the Vet's next door is not affiliated to them in any way, I go to them with my "pack" I spoke to a vet nurse there who said she wouldn't even visit the CSPCA anymore because of the way they treat the animals

FYI if the CSPCA was really trying to rehome dogs, why do they close for an hour at lunch time and shut at 4pm and all weekend? if people work and want to either adopt a dog or see if there missing dog is in there the opening hours are not very condusive to this

• Advertisement

I'm glad you had a good experience - but after mine i started to do a litle bit of research, one thing i found was that the CSPCA is not supposed to release dogs on the restricted list back out to the public, this is in Cork Council meeting notes - whay you may ask, well as they perform no checks on the homes the dogs go to they could release dogs to people who use them for dog fighting, or merely to be locked up in a yard for the rest of the dogs life as a "guard dog"

Ok, on that point I can agree with you. I have heard about the dog fighting side of it. And thank you, yeah I'd a good experience and I loved the dog we got there so I have alot of good memories. I'm very sorry you had such a bad experience. Shouldn't happen to anyone. I bet the dog you saved is really loved and well looked after now. Thank god you were there to save the dog, especially seeing she was pregnant. :)

there is, a vet i use to have my two females neutered, but they don't have anything officially to do with the pound - call in with what papers? all i got was a stamped receipt from the CSPCA and i only got that from asking - they DON'T have a vet

There is one next door, it may not be affiliated but they neutered my dog for me?

I can tell my story - this is a public forum, and as such i can let people know my experience as you can yours

I wasn't telling you to stop posting or not tell your story. It just seemed like you weren't accepting what other posters were saying. I apologise if that was not the case.

My first post here was actually warning against the CSPCA unless you really have alot of time and patience etc. It was just when I saw the "DON'T GET A DOG THERE" post I thought it was a bit too strong of a post. That's my opinion. I was just against a biased view. Plus we had different experiences, couldn't help but argue. :o

Advertisement