Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please check the dog pound or animal welfare site before buying a dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

PaulB91 wrote: »
    the Vet's next door is not affiliated to them in any way, I go to them with my "pack" I spoke to a vet nurse there who said she wouldn't even visit the CSPCA anymore because of the way they treat the animals

FYI if the CSPCA was really trying to rehome dogs, why do they close for an hour at lunch time and shut at 4pm and all weekend? if people work and want to either adopt a dog or see if there missing dog is in there the opening hours are not very condusive to this

Ya that's fine. Now the vet IS nextdoor so the first impression is they are in partnership. Secondly, I was told to bring my dog in there to get him neutered and did... No one said they were affiliated, then again no one said they were not.. That was to me of course so it's very interesting to find out that they're not connected.

Ya the times I always thought were funny but I just try to stay positive about them I really do. They have to take their breaks??? :confused: :mad: :(:(:(

PaulB91 - 1
    NoDice - 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

NoDice wrote: »
    I wasn't telling you to stop posting or not tell your story. It just seemed like you weren't accepting what other posters were saying. I apologise if that was not the case.

My first post here was actually warning against the CSPCA unless you really have alot of time and patience etc. It was just when I saw the "DON'T GET A DOG THERE" post I thought it was a bit too strong of a post. That's my opinion. I was just against a biased view. Plus we had different experiences, couldn't help but argue. :o

no bother - like a good "discussion" :D

my biaseness is based on not only my own experience but that of people i have met before and since, some of whom are long term volunteers in Cork for animal welfare

I do accept people have had OK experiences, like i said 4 of my dogs basically came from there, 3 in a "roundabout" way and wouldn't be without any of them - but at the same time there is a lot to be improved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

PaulB91 wrote: »
    no bother - like a good "discussion" :D

my biaseness is based on not only my own experience but that of people i have met before and since, some of whom are long term volunteers in Cork for animal welfare

I do accept people have had OK experiences, like i said 4 of my dogs basically came from there, 3 in a "roundabout" way and wouldn't be without any of them - but at the same time there is a lot to be improved

A discussion - Absolutely! :) I didn't mean to come across as a A-hole. I think it's very nice of you (for want of a better word) you go in and adopt a dog when that wasn't your intention. I went in to get a small house dog but just couldn't bear to see the big lab in the cages in the cold. i took him home, took him for a walk and gave him a big warm bath before taking him to the pet shop and spoiling him.

As I said, in a way I regret being selfish in that I knew I work hours which don't suit a big, energetic dog like that. I found a better home for him when I finally worked up the heart to give him away. Still see him though! Taking him for a walk on Saturday with my own dog(who is a tiny house dog who sleeps in my bed and all :o).

I wouldn't go back to the CSPCA for a dog TBH, as I said in my first post. They should definately do backround checks and should have better living situations on site even though it is only for a short period of time. The way I try to look at it though is that they obv see dogs come and go, or dogs they get attahced to that they then have to put down. One woman who works there has seven dogs (this was last year anyway when I was talking to one of them) she adopted cause no one took them. I just have alot of respect for people that work in that sector but I do 100% agree that the care for animals there is not of a high enough standard.

There was one link added that I spent a long time on yesterday. Thanks for adding that btw whoever that was! - http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/
    I was blown away by the difference between that and the CSPCA's one. I loved reading all of the anecdotes about the new owners and their adopted dogs. Also loved the pages where the staff wrote a little blurb about the dog and put up a picture. They do a bcakround check and all. I was amazed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

NoDice wrote: »
    There was one link added that I spent a long time on yesterday. Thanks for adding that btw whoever that was! - http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/
    I was blown away by the difference between that and the CSPCA's one. I loved reading all of the anecdotes about the new owners and their adopted dogs. Also loved the pages where the staff wrote a little blurb about the dog and put up a picture. They do a bcakround check and all. I was amazed. :)

:D

Advertisement