Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suffolk Street picture. 1900 or 1911?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I've seen this photo described as having been taken during both "Queen Victoria's visit in 1900" and "[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]King George and Queen Mary's visit in July 1911"

Does anyone know which is correct?

suffolkstreetqueenvicto.jpg9

[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I would say 1911. Did Queen Victoria visit in 1900? I know George did in 1911, arriving in Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It difficult to tell. If I was forced to give an answer, I'd go for Queen Victoria's visit in 1900.
    Did Queen Victoria visit in 1900?
    She did indeed - her last visit to Ireland. Her son, King Edward VII, and Queen Alexandra visited in 1907 for the exibition in Herbert Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Dont know but great photo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The trees look a bit more like April (Victoria 1900) than July (George and Mary 1911), but could be either really.
    I'd imagine an email to the Gilbert Collection people would get the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

spurious wrote: »
    The trees look a bit more like April (Victoria 1900) than July (George and Mary 1911)
    Here's one taken around the corner in Grafton Street during King George's visit and it is clearly a different time of the year as the trees in the Provost's grounds are in full leaf. I'd say by the shadows, the pic was taken in the afternoon.

(The picture may have been taken at the moment the royals were passing as everyone, especially those in the trams and the driver are focused on the Grafton Street/Suffolk Street junction area. The fact that 2 trams are stopped beside each other may indicate that traffic was stopped for a while? Part of an early motor car can be seen on the extreme left.)

KingGeorgeVisit1911.jpg

Same visit on Westmoreland Street.

KingGeorgeVisit19113.jpg

........and again on O'Connell Bridge.

KingGeorgeVisit19112.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The decoration hanging above the street in the original pic looks like a floral representation of The Orb.

Or a xmas tree.

Advertisement