Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some help, 5.1 sound setup in my lounge see pic

• 29-11-2009 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need some serious help with my sound setup I know its incorrect and its bugging me as its a good component setup

Marantz 4002 Amp
    Canton 5.1 speakers
    Media Centre
    Dm800 HD
    Xbox 360

They are all conected with HDMI and out 5.1

My sound is poor and I need help on where to place my speakers.
    Wife will not approve of the moving of the tv to the sideboard unfortuantely.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Howdy...

When you say the sound is "poor", what exactly do you mean ?

Your speaker locations seem ok enough, given the layout, although I'd have a preference for placing the rear speakers behind the seating position rather than to the side. You could also experiment with your sub location. How have you set it up - ie have you used test tones and a sound level meter, or does the Marantz have an auto-set up feature ? More info might help folk give you appropriate advice.

Cheers,

Ritz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The Ritz wrote: »
    Your speaker locations seem ok enough, given the layout

Am I correct in reading the diagram that the TV is in the corner beside the fireplace and the 5.1 speakers are set up as if the TV is on the sideboard?

If that is the case, you have the _exact_ same problem as myself and there are a couple of options that I have considered. 1) TV over the fireplace and rotate speaker locations to suit, 2) TV on sideboard using speaker locations as drawn, 3) TV on wall opposite sideboard (don't know what is here) and similarly 4) TV opposite fireplace.

I can't help you with these, if the location of the TV (ie this room) is fixed. Your best bet is to find some sort of compromise or perhaps leave the TV where it is and use something like the B&W panorama sound-bar instead of traditional 5.1. I went with the option of rotating the configuration 90degrees which has actually fitted very nicely.

Also something to consider (which I have done) is go 4.1 instead of 5.1 i.e. no centre because many amps will merge the centre into the L+R channels. Assuming of course your speakers can handle the extra load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

nereid wrote: »
    Am I correct in reading the diagram that the TV is in the corner beside the fireplace and the 5.1 speakers are set up as if the TV is on the sideboard?

Yes that is correct.

If that is the case, you have the _exact_ same problem as myself and there are a couple of options that I have considered.

1) TV over the fireplace and rotate speaker locations to suit,
    Cant put the TV over the fireplace unfortunately huge mirror there

2) TV on sideboard using speaker locations as drawn,
    Not really a runner I'm afraid would be shot ;-)
    3) TV on wall opposite sideboard (don't know what is here) and similarly 4) TV opposite fireplace.
    Where the sideboard is a bay window so not a runner the opposite alcove is a book shelf so that cant be moved either.

I can't help you with these, if the location of the TV (ie this room) is fixed. Your best bet is to find some sort of compromise or perhaps leave the TV where it is and use something like the B&W panorama sound-bar instead of traditional 5.1. I went with the option of rotating the configuration 90degrees which has actually fitted very nicely.

Also something to consider (which I have done) is go 4.1 instead of 5.1 i.e. no centre because many amps will merge the centre into the L+R channels. Assuming of course your speakers can handle the extra load.

Any other suggestions people, dont really want to sell my setup but I have stated looking at soundbars maybe the yamaha ysp600

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Any other suggestions people, dont really want to sell my setup but I have stated looking at soundbars maybe the yamaha ysp600

What equipment have you got already? i.e. have you a AVR or 5.1 speaker kit?

If you haven't bought anything yet, I'd recommend the B&W panorama. It looks a bit better than the yamaha and the sound quality would be a bit better. Mind you it is probably a bit more expensive but IMO worth it.

If you have, you could also consider running a decent stereo setup. You miss surprisingly little surround effects when the quality of the front L+R is noticeably good.

What sort of budget have you got?

I have a Marantz 4002 Amp
    and Canton Movie 60cx
    http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/p-hifi-speakers-122301/canton-movie-60-cx-19614256

I would prefer a sound bar I think but can you advise otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Psygnosis,

I was incorrect when I posted earlier, I thought the TV was on the sideboard - an auto-assumption on my behalf I'm afraid. Maybe a soundbar is a better option, given the conditions you've set out here. I'm afraid I have no personal experience from which to offer help, but you could ask the Richersounds guys on their forum here (link under my username to the left).

I don't think that a soundbar would give you a better result than the Marantz and Cantons if you were able to set them up conventionally, so that's a bit of a shame, but we all have to deal with limits of one kind or another.

Cheers,

Ritz.

Ok,

Im not a happy camper with this at all my setup was quite expensive.

IF I could re-arange the furniture what would be the best way to do it all suggestions welcome.

I was thinking the following

So move the three seater couch to in front of the bay window and leave the space behind it ( could put some nice plants there)
    Move the 2 seater to the other side where the 3 seater was
    Move the sideboard to the top of the room beside the storage room. Rehang the door to the storage room so that it hangs in other direction.

Ok,

Im not a happy camper with this at all my setup was quite expensive.

Ok ok, I've taken another look and what about leaving the TV where it is, move the Front Left speaker to the RHS of the fireplace as the new Front Right, put the centre under the TV, and the current Front Right speaker becomes the new Front left.

The rear left stays where it is, and the Rear right moves to the other end of that flat bit of wall there the RL is. That essentially puts the "direction" of the 5.1 diagonally across the room.

Would that work? The only "hassle" I can immediately see is getting the wiring to the "new" Front Right. Have you carpet or wooden floor? and is the fire an open fire?

I think I see what you are saying allright. Would it possible for you to sketch it out so I can get a pic in my head would really appreciate it

fun with paint ...

• Advertisement

looking at the rear speakers I dont see how this would work as I normally sit on the sofa along the wall would it make more sense for the rear right speaker to be on the far side of the couch

My mistake, thought you'd be sitting in the other sofa.

In this case it's easier, you either put both rear's behind that sofa or leave one where it is and put the other in the corner behind the sofa.

that puts everything "length ways" down the room and you won't notice the difference between the Front L + R because they are basically firing towards you.

So I wont get the stereo affect from the front at all. This does not please me ;-)

Any other configuration I could do to achive the optimal result?

So I wont get the stereo affect from the front at all. This does not please me ;-)

Any other configuration I could do to achive the optimal result?

I didn't explain that properly.

You _will_ get better sound from my proposed layout than the layout in your original picture.

What I meant was that you would notice a difference between front L+R if both are effectively on one side (like it would be where you are sitting in the first picture).

Try it out is my advice - even if it means trailing speaker wire to the other side of the fireplace temporarily. If the speakers are on stands, you could "store" the proposed Front Right beside the TV and move it to the other side when you want to use it.

Thanks very much for the help lads, its sounds so much better now.
    I kept the front right on the very corner the left is beside the bay windows. The rears are directly behind there fronts excellent.

No need to get a soundbar

Glad you got a result ! Hats off to Nereid.....:)

Ritz.

Advertisement